Harsh .. Rude .. Responses for the Newbies

mc'smom

Irish, Pete was not saying anything mean in his post... actually, quite the opposite, explaining why some people may get upset and clearing that up. Pete has been around for a long time and is a great person and has a lot of respect from many here that have followed his posts. He remains fair in his answers and provides alot of humor... I don't think I have ever seen Pete post anything rude actually.... Sorry, I had to chime in... didn't mean to hijack the thread :D

I personally don't think that Newbies feel like they "deserve it all" and I am not sure what threads you are referring to or who said that, but I am sorry you feel that way. For the most part, as mentioned, 99% of the people here are more than willing and happy to help out any new poster/cruiser... that is why we love this place so much and devote alot of our time here...

The 1st 2 paragraphs are not mine sorry do not know how to edit on here!

To edit, you have to do it within like 20 minutes of posting, but click on "edit" in your post, and you can go back in and edit. If there is no edit button, it is too late. Also, when you want to quote someone's post, just click on "quote" underneath their post, and it will appear in your reply... just make sure you leave the quote tags in place.

Sarcastic users don't help... anyways I have done my part sorry i did not figure out the copy paste for my last post I thought I did but did not work,,,, but this Derf 5585 guy he knows it all it seems ask him...

Sorry but frustrated with ^&)%)&^%)*&

CYA!

Sarcastic users don't help... anyways I have done my part sorry i did not figure out the copy paste for my last post I thought I did but did not work,,,, but this Derf 5585 guy he knows it all it seems ask him...

CYA!

For beter or worse,sarcasm will always be apart of the online world. Derf is just a poster that loves to link :)

but this Derf 5585 guy he knows it all it seems ask him...

Hey now....we love our Derf. CC wouldn't be the same without him:)

Being a newbie once myself, I would recommend Southern Caribbean's advice and read the rules, advice, and threads BEFORE posting a million questions that the answers are probably all located a little further down the page already. I must have read for at least a week before posting and my questions were well received at that point. People spend alot of their personal time helping others on this board, so I feel it only respectful to read first, then ask later.

There are a great bunch of folks who post on here regularly and I enjoy all of them (especially while discussing the topless deck, dress code, swim diapers, and crock pots :) )

BTW- welcome to CC!!!

I agree with you to read the threads previously,, but ya know what sometimes I dont have the time to do that so I post a Thread,,, I can not say that a thread from last year does not account for what I am asking but i dont have that time to search for it.....I am looking for info NOW and that you can get from this site!! Which is amazing and I truly admire all that submit to it... Thanks!

On any message board, you are going to find one or two posters that are always negative and loves to put people in their place. Then the rest of them are pretty nice people:D Lots of good information and people can be found on CC and on other cruise boards. Sometimes you just have to overlook the ignorance of others and find those who are friendly and helpful:)

I agree with you to read the threads previously,, but ya know what sometimes I dont have the time to do that so I post a Thread,,, I can not say that a thread from last year does not account for what I am asking but i dont have that time to search for it.....I am looking for info NOW and that you can get from this site!! Which is amazing and I truly admire all that submit to it... Thanks!

I can understand that point of view, but to me I when Im short on time I find it easier to do a search and find the info, rather than waiting for someone to answer it.

CYA!

Irish, it sounds like you are indeed frustrated, and for that I am sorry... it sounds like you really have had a bad experience on these boards. I have not seen anyone being sarcastic in this thread... keep in mind that when typing online, you don't have the benefit of "tone", and so what might seem one way, could very well have been meant in another way... it's just the way of the world online. I also don't see where anyone in this thread has not made anyone feel unwelcome. I remember some of your first posts and I recall people (myself included) welcoming you with open arms and assisting you with your questions. It's okay that you did not know how to copy your last post, not everyone is expected to know everything!!!! We are here to help one another. Derf is a great poster here, and you will see that as you continue to visit the boards... that is not meant to make you feel unwelcome, it is simply to make you see that sometimes people that have been here for a long time, take on personalities of their own... all of us were new once and eventually figured these things out, just as you will. I'm sorry that you feel the way you do... but the people you are coming down on, in my opinion, are actually some of the nicest and most helpful people on the boards... again, not trying to make you feel unwelcome, I'm just asking you to stick around and see for yourself... maybe you could have taken something the wrong way. Again, we are all glad you are here and hope you continue to post and ask questions!! :D

Irishnewfie

I just realized you are form Ont. Canada........

I should have know by the way your posts read.... I am from the same, Ont.

Having just sailed on the Victory. Email me....

Lisa

[QUOTE=mc'smom]
I was not expecting so much response from everyone.....
[/QUOTE]

with over 130,000 registered members
from
[url]http://www.cruisecritic.com/aboutus/index.cfm[/url]

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise
from
[url]http://www.jumpstation.ca/recroom/comedy/python/spanish.html[/url]

Most people seem to try to help the newbies, but of course there will always be a few who come off as rude or short in their replies. I understand exactly what Pete was saying in his post. Anyone who has been around here for a while has seen the threads that can turn nasty. Those are the ones where the posters are arguing with each other. This is misinterpreted by the OP (original poster) as a flame toward them. Usually it isn't aimed at the OP at all.

As for derf and Tef, you have to take the time to understand their personalities and posting styles. ;) :D

When I first came to these boards, I asked questions that I am sure were answered before. But.....sometimes information changes.
I don't see the problem with someone asking a question and getting an answer. It certainly does not hurt those who already know. And if you have already seen a thread on this and don't want to read another, simply go to the next thread. The one thing that I don't like is when a person posts a question and the answer is a simple "port of call board". It's great that we can direct them to that board but also a simple answer with it would be wonderful!
I really don't like it when someone clicks on a thread just so that they can post a reply that says "here we go again...do a search!" Why waste the time giving that reply? Just go to the next thread and enjoy reading what you want to read.

[quote name='cruzn buckeye']do a search!" Why waste the time giving that reply? Just go to the next thread and enjoy reading what you want to read.[/QUOTE]

When I am in a thread I never do that. I enjoy searching.

[quote name='MrPeteLI']Here are the rules for Newbies:

[url="http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php"]http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php[/url]

Seasoned posters NOT ALLOWED![/QUOTE]

Oh my stars
you have to be Kidding !

LOL

Good One

At what point are you no longer considered a newbie ? LOL

Thnaks for the laugh this morning...

[QUOTE=mc'smom]
At what point are you no longer considered a newbie ? LOL
[/QUOTE]

Everybody on the Internet was a newbie once, yet many netizens tend to forget this.
from
[url]http://www.netlingo.com/right.cfm?term=newbie[/url]

[orig. from British public-school and military slang variant of `new boy']
from
[url]http://www.outpost9.com/reference/jargon/jargon_29.html[/url]

Archived