Denali with time constraints

DogLover45

When I booked our cruisetour, I knew we only had one day in Denali, but what I didn't know is that the day is broken up into two half days! We will arrive in Denali around 3:00 p.m. on the first day, and we have to leave at around 3:00 p.m. on the next day. I'm really disappointed, but I'm hoping someone can help me make the best of a poor situation. Here are my two major questions.

1. Can anyone suggest an activity that we can do on the first day. If we don't get in until 3:00, I suspect that we aren't checked into the hotel (McKinley Village Lodge) until 3:30. Is there anything to do in that area? We will have been on a flightseeing tour in Talkeetna, so that's sort of out of the question, and I'm big on thrill-seeking things.

2. Would love some helping in figuring out how to make the best of the second day. The package includes the Natural History tour - but I have read that only goes a few miles into the park and we won't get a real taste of Denali. If we decided to forego the NHT, how far could we go with a shuttle bus under these time constraints (back by 3:00). Would it be worth it?

Would really appreciate any answers to these questions.

More than anything, I hope the main lesson you learned through this is to know what you are buying when you spend thousands of dollars. Travel is the only item most people purchase without really having a clue what they are buying!

Having said that, you have a lot of time. How are you arriving to and departing from Denali? Also, what dates will you be there? That info is key.

Day 1 go to the park, visitor center is great, maybe 4pm doggie demo if you can get there in time (probably not), Savage River shuttle bus (free), Savage River loop hike, etc.

Day 2 depending on which date you are there and if you can get yourself to the WAC on your own, you can take a 6am shuttle to Eielson and be back by 2pm. Or you could check into a TWT for the morning that gets you back in time, though they cost 3x as much as the shuttle.

I just reread my post and I see a major error. It should say "I am not big on thrill seeking! Boy, what a difference one word can make!

And more info and questions:

• We are arriving in Denali by train (from Talkeetna) and then leaving the next day by train (to Fairbanks).
  • We will be arriving in Denali on July 7.
  • The buses from the McKinley Village Lodge (where we are staying) don't start until somewhere in the 7:00 a.m. category, so I don't think we could get to the Denali park busses until somewhere in the 8:00 a.m. category. I don't know how far we can get into the park and still be back on time to catch the train.
  • Does the National History Tour include the Park Visitor Center? If it does, then if we stayed with the package that was included, there would be no reason to go there on the first day.
  • I noticed that one of the exursions that I can book through the cruisetour is the Husky Homestead tour. Any thoughts on that?

With just one night at Denali, I would be IN the park not at a musher's kennel outside the park. But that is me!

If you can't walk from the lodge to the WAC early in the morning, then the only real thing you can do is this - book an 8am shuttle bus to Eielson. Get off at Toklat or just tell your driver that you want to get off and catch the 6am Eielson bus back to the entrance. S/he will be sure to stop that bus as it comes in the other direction so you can switch. Then you will be back about 2pm. You could also catch the camper bus that comes back from Wonder Lake that morning since it is 100% certain the camper bus won't be full (if you are concerned the earlier bus you would take back might be full). The camper bus is about 5 minutes ahead of the shuttle bus.

The NHT includes the free film at the WAC but not the visitor center. Skip the NHT - you can replicate that tour and more on your own the first afternoon. If you are arriving by train, just stay in the park. Walk from the train station across the street (literally) and take the free shuttle to the doggie demo. That will get you your sleddog fix for free. Then from there either go back on the bus to the visitor center or catch the free bus to Savage. Find out when the last shuttle back to your hotel is.

You will need to bring food with you into the park the next morning so buy some stuff either the night before or first thing in the morning.

Thanks Frugal, very helpful. It sounds like the train station is actually closer to the park than the lodge is. I'll need to check with the tour guide to see if my luggage can go directly to the lodge without my being there. But, regardless, I'm getting a little better picture of everything than I had before. Any other thoughts would be welcomed!

Remember that on July 7 and 8 you will have gobs of daylight. It is only a little while after the Solstice.

You can do activities on July 7 to the wee hours and sleep a bit and get up and get going again.

Although I prefer to go to Alaska in the autumn and winter, when I have to be there in high summer, I sleep very little so not to miss anything.

Your times are wrong. Train arrival and departure is around 4pm.

IF you can figure out transportation back to your hotel- supposed to be a taxi (I would call the lodge direct and get there suggestions). But I would be on that Toklat shuttle bus the day of arrival. Alternative would be to get on the Eielson Shuttle bus the next am, with again, having a transportation plan figured out in advance for getting there early. Dump your bags with the tour director if you have to. :) By all means, get INTO the park. :)

It's a pity that visitors often don't realize how little time they have at Denali on some of these packages. Denali is all about the wildlife, the mountains, and a trip into a remote part of Alaska. To do anything less than that is shortchanging people. Read what you get before your finalize your vacation - let the buyer beware!

It's a pity that visitors often don't realize how little time they have at Denali on some of these packages. Denali is all about the wildlife, the mountains, and a trip into a remote part of Alaska. To do anything less than that is shortchanging people. Read what you get before your finalize your vacation - let the buyer beware!

Yes, you know I agree. :) I'm an endless record. BUT I'll still get slammed that the NHT is ok (from posters who've done nothing else). All that time, money to get there- and NOT get in?? Why bother, in my opinion. Again, I will continue to fault the vague descriptions and the marketing of the cruisetours. Worse is that the itineraries are sold to begin with. :(

Yes, you know I agree. :) I'm an endless record. BUT I'll still get slammed that the NHT is ok (from posters who've done nothing else). All that time, money to get there- and NOT get in?? Why bother, in my opinion. Again, I will continue to fault the vague descriptions and the marketing of the cruisetours. Worse is that the itineraries are sold to begin with. :(

I talk with people quite often who believe they have been to Alaska when they've only done a cruise that is a RT out of Seattle. They have no idea what they've missed. I get miffed when they start telling me how expert they are on Alaska.

I get double miffed when people tell me that they booked a cruise tour with the short Denali area stay and that they were BORED and disappointed.

When I booked our cruisetour, I knew we only had one day in Denali, but what I didn't know is that the day is broken up into two half days! We will arrive in Denali around 3:00 p.m. on the first day, and we have to leave at around 3:00 p.m. on the next day. I'm really disappointed, but I'm hoping someone can help me make the best of a poor situation. Here are my two major questions.

1. Can anyone suggest an activity that we can do on the first day. If we don't get in until 3:00, I suspect that we aren't checked into the hotel (McKinley Village Lodge) until 3:30. Is there anything to do in that area? We will have been on a flightseeing tour in Talkeetna, so that's sort of out of the question, and I'm big on thrill-seeking things.

2. Would love some helping in figuring out how to make the best of the second day. The package includes the Natural History tour - but I have read that only goes a few miles into the park and we won't get a real taste of Denali. If we decided to forego the NHT, how far could we go with a shuttle bus under these time constraints (back by 3:00). Would it be worth it?

If you really arrive at 3 or 4, there is a shuttle from Denali Visitor Center at 5:05 to Eielson Visitor Center (Mile 66) returning at 11:20. May be difficult getting back to your hotel at that late hour.

Husky Homstead tour is absolutely worth the money. I met Jeff King, his wife and one of his daughters. Learned a little about the Iditarod, and got to hold a pup. Just meeting them and seeing how they live was awesome! We did the 8:30 tour, they have a van that picks up at the hotel. Back in time for our transfer to the train station. They know the train schedules, and watch pretty closely.

If you really arrive at 3 or 4, there is a shuttle from Denali Visitor Center at 5:05 to Eielson Visitor Center (Mile 66) returning at 11:20. May be difficult getting back to your hotel at that late hour.

They arrive by train, so it is around 4pm arrival.

The only option they have is a Toklat Shuttle that leaves 5pm. They then need to make some tough decisions, in how they are going to return to their lodge??? Most people don't want to walk, or try and talk their way into rides with fellow passengers.

It seems that the more that the cruise lines can control your itinerary, the more access they have to your spending.

There's an excellent editorial in today's Anchorage Daily News (http://www.adn.com) on the decision by Holland America to drop the 14 day itinerary next year that includes Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak for "other interests". The article argues that Holland America feels that the itinerary provides too much "free time".

I will continue to fault the vague descriptions and the marketing of the cruisetours. Worse is that the itineraries are sold to begin with. :(

Certainly the cruiselines have some blame, but most of the blame is on visitors who book something without having a clue what they are buying. I know of no other product that people spend so much money on without really knowing what they are buying. The blame lies more heavily on the passenger IMHO.

It seems that the more that the cruise lines can control your itinerary, the more access they have to your spending.

There's an excellent editorial in today's Anchorage Daily News (www.adn.com) on the decision by Holland America to drop the 14 day itinerary next year that includes Anchorage, Homer, and Kodiak for "other interests". The article argues that Holland America feels that the itinerary provides too much "free time".

A better link to the story you referenced is here:

http://www.adn.com/2012/06/15/2506727/let-tourists-really-experience.html

It is obvious that the cruise lines are all about profit. Having recently returned from an Alaskan cruise, it is glaringly obvious how much they try to sell and upsell at every turn. It can be avoided, but it is difficult. Too bad that this cruise will be history - Princess stopped it a couple of years ago, I assume for similar reasons.

Thanks, I missed that story as I read ADN on my iPhone and not all stories are listed.

There are many Alaskans who have tried to offer services, items of art work and locally made items as well as food to cruise passengers and the cruise lines have blocked their efforts at every turn.

Very sad!

For the first day, find out if you can send your luggage straight to the hotel, that way you can just stay in the park and go check out the visitor center. You can also do one or more of the short easy hikes at the front of the park.

The next morning, you can arrange for a cab to pick you up early at your hotel and take you to the park to get on the Eielson shuttle bus at 5:30 AM, that way you'll be back by about 1:30 PM and not stressed out about missing the train. We have arranged for a cab to pick us up at the hotel in the morning because we want to go on a shuttle that leaves before the free hotel shuttle service starts. If you're interested I'll check my email for their info or just google Denali taxi or something like that. It's not cheap, but it will help you make the most of your time.

Of course, you have other options - you can go to the husky homestead, that gets good reviews on TripAdvisor, or you can go to the free dog kennel presentation in the park, there's also a science center at the from of the park, near the visitor center. So you have a lot of options :) and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Thank you for some good suggestions. There are two options that we are considering right now. Both options would require renting a car so that we wouldn't have to worry about getting from motel to park etc. The car rental is $110 and they will meet us at the train station (coming and going). Advantages to car rental:

• We'll be able to take the luggage from the train and have it with us, rather than worrying if the luggage made it to the hotel.
  • It gives us the flexibility of doing a few things on our own without having to worry about how to get back and forth from McKinley Village Lodge

Here are our two current options:

Option 1:

• On the first day (July 7th), the rail will bring us in at 3:45. The car rental will meet us at the train station and we can go right from there to the park. We will reserve the 5:00 p.m. shuttle to Tolkat, which returns to WAC at 11:00 pm (or 11:30 if we get off). Then take the car back to McKinley Village Lodge.
  • On the second day, we'll stay with the Natural History Tour that is part of the package deal that we already paid for. (I'm checking to see if Celebrity will re-imburse us for this if we don't go on it - but I'm not hopeful!)

Option 2:

• The car rental will meet us at the train station and we can go right from there to the Visitor Center and drive the first 15 miles in the park on our own. Also, maybe see the dogs.
  • On the second day, we can get to the park for 8:00 shuttle to Eielson. However, that shuttle returns about 4:00, so that's too late for us to catch the train. The shuttle bus company suggested we book the 8:00 to Eieson, but get off at Tolkat, and then take another shuttle back. However, they don't guarantee room on the bus back since it wouldn't be the shuttle we reserved - so it's a little scarey to take this option.

It seems like Tolkat is as far as we can go either day and still play it safe. Any thoughts on this, or on the two options?

The next morning, you can arrange for a cab to pick you up early at your hotel and take you to the park to get on the Eielson shuttle bus at 5:30 AM, that way you'll be back by about 1:30 PM and not stressed out about missing the train. We have arranged for a cab to pick us up at the hotel in the morning because we want to go on a shuttle that leaves before the free hotel shuttle service starts. If you're interested I'll check my email for their info or just google Denali taxi or something like that. It's not cheap, but it will help you make the most of your time.

AlaskaWDW, I'm going under the assumption that renting a car $110 would be about the same price as renting a cab for evening ride home and morning ride to park. But, if the cab is considerably less expensive, I'd like to get more info from you on that.

Thank you for some good suggestions. There are two options that we are considering right now. Both options would require renting a car so that we wouldn't have to worry about getting from motel to park etc. The car rental is $110 and they will meet us at the train station (coming and going). Advantages to car rental:

• We'll be able to take the luggage from the train and have it with us, rather than worrying if the luggage made it to the hotel.
  • It gives us the flexibility of doing a few things on our own without having to worry about how to get back and forth from McKinley Village Lodge

Here are our two current options:

Option 1:

• On the first day (July 7th), the rail will bring us in at 3:45. The car rental will meet us at the train station and we can go right from there to the park. We will reserve the 5:00 p.m. shuttle to Tolkat, which returns to WAC at 11:00 pm (or 11:30 if we get off). Then take the car back to McKinley Village Lodge.
  • On the second day, we'll stay with the Natural History Tour that is part of the package deal that we already paid for. (I'm checking to see if Celebrity will re-imburse us for this if we don't go on it - but I'm not hopeful!)

Option 2:

• The car rental will meet us at the train station and we can go right from there to the Visitor Center and drive the first 15 miles in the park on our own. Also, maybe see the dogs.
  • On the second day, we can get to the park for 8:00 shuttle to Eielson. However, that shuttle returns about 4:00, so that's too late for us to catch the train. The shuttle bus company suggested we book the 8:00 to Eieson, but get off at Tolkat, and then take another shuttle back. However, they don't guarantee room on the bus back since it wouldn't be the shuttle we reserved - so it's a little scarey to take this option.

It seems like Tolkat is as far as we can go either day and still play it safe. Any thoughts on this, or on the two options?

No Celebrity does not refund, BUT, it may be possible for a switch direct from Aramark which has happened in the past. But with you being so short on time, it may not be worthwhile.

You DO have the option to take the first Eielson shuttle bus, and be back in plenty of time for the Alaska RR.

Frankly, not sure who you mean by "shuttle bus company", If Aramark, did you ask about the first shuttle out? If you really want to take full advantage of all that you can, the car rental and Eielson shuttle on day two, is the best option. So what it costs $100+++ ??????? It is far better than what you purchased with the cruisetour.

AlaskaWDW, I'm going under the assumption that renting a car $110 would be about the same price as renting a cab for evening ride home and morning ride to park. But, if the cab is considerably less expensive, I'd like to get more info from you on that.

Yes, it's pretty close in price. We're taking the cab from the Glitter Gulch to the WAC to catch the shuttle, that's about a mile and a half and it costs $35.

I haven't been to Alaska yet, we're going next month, so all I can share is what I've researched and booked. BQ has been to Alaska about 40 times, so she knows her stuff. If I were you I'd go with the car rental, it will help you make the most of your time. And definitely your second option makes a lot more sense than your first one. The NHT only drives the first 15 miles of the park, which you can do by yourself in a car.

Why is 8 AM the earliest Eielson shuttle you can take? If I were you, I'd be on the earliest one out in the morning, that way you'd be able to go all the way to Eielson and back without even stressing out about getting back in time.

And if you're doing the shuttle in the morning - you can spend time at the visitors center and short easy walks the first afternoon.

We just returned from our Alaska trip yesterday and we also had limited time in Denali. After reading threads here before we left I was really worried that I had shortchanged us and we would be disappointed.

We arrived on the train around 12:30pm, and were staying at the Denali Princess. We booked the Toklat Shuttle at 5pm and are very glad we did. Yes, I wish we had time to go all the way to Eielson, but perhaps that will be next time. We had a great trip into the park, and saw a ton of wildlife. As you pointed out, it's all about making the most of the time you have. Since it was so light out when we returned to the WAC, we just walked back to our hotel and managed to see a moose on the way. Other passengers just called their hotels and had a shuttle come pick them up. There are options. Have a great trip!

I would not take the Natural History Tour in any case. If you have a rental car and the time, just drive the first 15 miles into the park on your own, stop when you want, do some light hiking (the Savage River loop is easy and nice), etc.

With your own car, getting to Eielson would be a huge priority for me.

Also, I personally see handling my luggage upon arrival from the train to be a huge negative, not a positive. If it doesn't come, all you are doing is wasting more time tracking it down. If it does come, you are wasting time hauling it yourself - a double negative!

I talk with people quite often who believe they have been to Alaska when they've only done a cruise that is a RT out of Seattle. They have no idea what they've missed. I get miffed when they start telling me how expert they are on Alaska.

I get double miffed when people tell me that they booked a cruise tour with the short Denali area stay and that they were BORED and disappointed.

Well, I know exactly what you mean. But as they say: to each his/her won.

Actually, I prefer it when the million of cruiser that visit Alaska each year minimize their traveler there. That way it is not as crowded for people like you or I. ;)

Well, I know exactly what you mean. But as they say: to each his/her won.

Actually, I prefer it when the million of cruiser that visit Alaska each year minimize their traveler there. That way it is not as crowded for people like you or I. ;)

How right you are. I have watched these boards with interest for some time and am always perplexed when people think they have "been to Alaska" simply by getting on a cruise port to port. Alaska is perfect for the DIY land cruiser. But there is no one "best" way for everyone to do it. There are many options. Get on the road and see the interior of this state. It is a beautiful thing.

Well, I spent the day today getting further info and what I just found out is absurd - but it may help others if they know about it.

According to Celebrity, we must take the NHT with them. Since they are responsible for people on their tour, they can't let us go off on our own during any of the pre-arranged tour times! I can understand them not refunding money for the tour, but I can't understand how they can prevent us from going off on our own! It seems totally ludicrus, but I'm not going to make an issue of it - it doesn't seem worth the effort. (It takes me about an hour on the phone to get an easy question answered!)

They will "allow" us to go off on our own on the first day of arrival since there are no pre-planned activities. So, we rented the car and made the appointment for the shuttle from WAC to Tolkat at 5:00 p.m. on first day of arrival. Second day we will go on the NHT with our packaged plan. According the the Denali reservations, the biggest difference between going to Tolkat and going to Eielson is the view of Mt. McKinley - but since we are taking a flight tour of Mt. McKinley from Talkeetna, that isn't a big issue.

I think we'll be happy if we get to Tolkat the first day and if we just go with the flow on the second day.

Archived