You want customer service? How's this!!

munchkin002

I am booked on a sailing in November on the Star. The ship has been filling up quickly, no balconies of ANY kind left at all for about 2 months now, and prices have been climbing every couple of weeks. Big difference from my cruise on the Pearl last november, where we were actually upsold to a 2bdrm suite.

So it turns out that there is a large Jazz group that is sailing with us. This is something they do every year but different ships...

The website for this Jazz group talk about how no non members will be allowed to attend any of their get togethers. Ok, so, I was getting concerned about this large Jazz group taking up all the rooms and closing venues! I don't want to be banned from any public parts of the ship just because a group is sailing together.

The other night I sent an email to Mr. Sheehan to inquire about how these things work and if us non Jazz group passengers will be left out in the cold!

2 days later I revcieved a phone call coming in from Miami, from his wonderful secretary explaining to me the process!!

She was informative and explained they have large groups all the time on their sailings and these groups should not affect the rest of us.

When this group is having a concert or whatever, they will be doing it in areas that would normally be closed.

Like this particular lounge during the day while the lounge would be getting cleaned and prepped, or while the dancers and singers should be rehersing.

She said at no time will any venue or any part of the ship be closed to other passengers for this group!

It was a wonderful conversation and I was so thrilled to be receiving a phone response to my email, especially from Mr. Sheehan's office!!

Feeling more relaxed about this cruise now!

Just another reason I really, really like NCL!

That is definitly Great Customer Service!:)

Happy Father's Day everyone!!

Corinna;)

umm, can you get that in writing?

several years ago, I picked up a last minute booking on NCL out of NOLA...Sky or her sister, IIRC. Upon arrival we found many were on a jazz cruise. our fellow passengers were fun, nice and well behaved. Still, there were performances for their group only occupying ship venues. they often had Dazzles. the sometimes had spinnakers. Maybe they used the theater, but remember them in other places. they had a lot of performances and get togethers, as one on a music cruise would want and expect....so venues were occupied. Add to that the usual ship activities that might not appeal to me (like art auctions and bingo), and available spaces for the rest of us were reduced.

It was a good cruise, but I really wish I had either been part of the group or on a different ship.

Technically, bar service may not have ordinarily been scheduled when that jazz group had Dazzles, but the space normally would have been available to the rest of us to read, chat and relax.

That group may be given the windowless Spinnaker lounge....but where will NCL hold bingo and art auctions? the observatory lounge (old spinnaker) is gone now as is the cinema. The performers are often rehearsing in the theater , otherwise there are often movies and port talks and such there. I suppose they could use specialty restaurant spaces for get togethers, but those are not optimal music venues.

Based upon my previous experience, I would not care to be on the Star post remodel as a nonparticipant on a jazz cruise unless I was in a suite. I would either join the group or select a different ship or a different week.

the assistant sounds sincere, and I am glad they called you to chat. I would get it in writing, because the jazz group is apt to use a lot of space...or it is not much of a jazz cruise (in which case your fellow cruises will be grumpy)

Wow that really IS good customer service! We've never sailed NCL before - and this is only our second cruise ever - but I love what I've heard about the crew on Star and NCL's customer service overall. Can't wait 'til September! Two questions though...

- I've seen Kevin Sheehan mentioned before, who is he?

- How can we find out if one of these big groups is sailing with us? Is there a website or something?

Thanks everyone!

This great to hear. Without naming names, there are other cruise lines where it is impossible to reach anyone with real clout. I love it that Mr. Sheehan has made himself available, even if it is through a second party. Thanks for your post.

Wow that really IS good customer service! We've never sailed NCL before - and this is only our second cruise ever - but I love what I've heard about the crew on Star and NCL's customer service overall. Can't wait 'til September! Two questions though...

- I've seen Kevin Sheehan mentioned before, who is he? He is the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Lines.

- How can we find out if one of these big groups is sailing with us? Is there a website or something? The easiest way is to do a search for your ship with the sailing date (or voyage number) and see what comes up. There is also a section on Cruise Critic for specialty cruises and you might want to do a forum search there, again using ship/date and see what comes up.

Thanks everyone!

Answers are above.

- I've seen Kevin Sheehan mentioned before, who is he?

- How can we find out if one of these big groups is sailing with us? Is there a website or something?

Thanks everyone!

Kevin Sheehan is the CEO of NCL. He is pretty well liked because of things like this. Lately, he's been spotted on several ships and he did a stint on Undercover Boss last year.

To find about groups, I think most people just google their ship and sailing date and see what comes up.

Are you on the Star on November 25th? I googled and saw first ever NOLA music cruise so I think that is the one you are talking about. We are on then too- I really hope we wont be too disturbed!!

umm, can you get that in writing?

several years ago, I picked up a last minute booking on NCL out of NOLA...Sky or her sister, IIRC. Upon arrival we found many were on a jazz cruise. our fellow passengers were fun, nice and well behaved. Still, there were performances for their group only occupying ship venues. they often had Dazzles. the sometimes had spinnakers. Maybe they used the theater, but remember them in other places. they had a lot of performances and get togethers, as one on a music cruise would want and expect....so venues were occupied. Add to that the usual ship activities that might not appeal to me (like art auctions and bingo), and available spaces for the rest of us were reduced.

It was a good cruise, but I really wish I had either been part of the group or on a different ship.

Technically, bar service may not have ordinarily been scheduled when that jazz group had Dazzles, but the space normally would have been available to the rest of us to read, chat and relax.

That group may be given the windowless Spinnaker lounge....but where will NCL hold bingo and art auctions? the observatory lounge (old spinnaker) is gone now as is the cinema. The performers are often rehearsing in the theater , otherwise there are often movies and port talks and such there. I suppose they could use specialty restaurant spaces for get togethers, but those are not optimal music venues.

Based upon my previous experience, I would not care to be on the Star post remodel as a nonparticipant on a jazz cruise unless I was in a suite. I would either join the group or select a different ship or a different week.

the assistant sounds sincere, and I am glad they called you to chat. I would get it in writing, because the jazz group is apt to use a lot of space...or it is not much of a jazz cruise (in which case your fellow cruises will be grumpy)

I agree with Starry Eyes...I would get it in writing. Based upon my previous experience also with a chartered cruise, normal spaces that where open to the public where not open to the public when the group got together and you never know where it is going to be...

Are you on the Star on November 25th? I googled and saw first ever NOLA music cruise so I think that is the one you are talking about. We are on then too- I really hope we wont be too disturbed!!

I would be hoping that they were playing where I could hear them. Lucky you guys I would pick travelling with Jazz musicians over the walker, stroller or college crowd any day! Enjoy your cruise.

Actually we are sailing 11/4 the group is Jazz Floats.

Didn't see anything about your week. Guess there's a lot of music

to be heard in November!

Enjoy your cruise

Come back and let us know how yours was and I will do the same!

I would be hoping that they were playing where I could hear them. Lucky you guys I would pick travelling with Jazz musicians over the walker, stroller or college crowd any day! Enjoy your cruise.

Its all good!

Being on a cruise with jazz folks is much better than being in my school

cafeteria serving kids their lunches! ANYDAY!

There is another way to look at it: while they are otherwise engaged, YOUR venues and activities have a probability of being less crowded.

For instance, I once attended a 3 night "convention at sea". Our activities were mostly during the day and were held in meeting rooms and other venues that ordinarily were not used.

I think jazz music lovers are a pretty laid-back group. Could be a lot worse.

I am booked on a sailing in November on the Star. The ship has been filling up quickly, no balconies of ANY kind left at all for about 2 months now, and prices have been climbing every couple of weeks. Big difference from my cruise on the Pearl last november, where we were actually upsold to a 2bdrm suite.

So it turns out that there is a large Jazz group that is sailing with us. This is something they do every year but different ships...

The website for this Jazz group talk about how no non members will be allowed to attend any of their get togethers. Ok, so, I was getting concerned about this large Jazz group taking up all the rooms and closing venues! I don't want to be banned from any public parts of the ship just because a group is sailing together.

The other night I sent an email to Mr. Sheehan to inquire about how these things work and if us non Jazz group passengers will be left out in the cold!

2 days later I revcieved a phone call coming in from Miami, from his wonderful secretary explaining to me the process!!

She was informative and explained they have large groups all the time on their sailings and these groups should not affect the rest of us.

When this group is having a concert or whatever, they will be doing it in areas that would normally be closed.

Like this particular lounge during the day while the lounge would be getting cleaned and prepped, or while the dancers and singers should be rehersing.

She said at no time will any venue or any part of the ship be closed to other passengers for this group!

Corinna;)

Hopefully that last sentence 'at no time will any venue or any part of the ship be closed to other passengers for this group' will be true for the Jazz group but it has NOT been true for other groups. We were on a Caribbean cruise on the Sun that had a large group and the entire Crows nest Observation lounge on the top deck was reserved by them on a couple of occasions. There was a sign at both doors saying Private Event.

It was a wonderful conversation and I was so thrilled to be receiving a phone response to my email, especially from Mr. Sheehan's office!!

Feeling more relaxed about this cruise now!

Just another reason I really, really like NCL!

That is definitly Great Customer Service!:)

Happy Father's Day everyone!!

Corinna;)

This customer service is why I LOVE NCL!!:):):)

Hopefully that last sentence 'at no time will any venue or any part of the ship be closed to other passengers for this group' will be true for the Jazz group but it has NOT been true for other groups. We were on a Caribbean cruise on the Sun that had a large group and the entire Crows nest Observation lounge on the top deck was reserved by them on a couple of occasions. There was a sign at both doors saying Private Event.

At this point I can only wait till November to find out what actually happens. I will definitly let you all know the outcome. I also have no problem with sending another email to to Mr. Sheehan post cruise!;)

At this point I can only wait till November to find out what actually happens. I will definitly let you all know the outcome. I also have no problem with sending another email to to Mr. Sheehan post cruise!;)

IMO that's the best way to handle the situation. After all "something in writing" will not help you while aboard the ship. After all, you can't show your letter and demand that a group event be cancelled due to your letter. In addition, Keven Sheehan reached out to you and it would be IMO sort of a slap in the face to call back and want the conversation in writing. You are 100% correct that if and when you have any concerns or complaints about the cruise, you can contact Mr. Sheehan post cruise and advise him of the situation. Have a great cruise!

It is great that you got such a personalized response. However, the experience with large groups ( most recently Jaunary on Pearl) has been very different from what was promised. They were everywhere, entire dining rooms were set aside and closed for them, they overtook the entire pool deck. In addition, they were loud, demanding and obnoxious. If I had advance warning of another large group on my cruise, I'd re- schedule instantly.

I returned yesterday from the Star, the service was just amazing, I have never met so many officers of the ship in the other four NCL cruises that we have taken. Officers and chef's came to our table in the dining room to see if there was any questions or complaints that they could help us with, and this was at least 4-5 times during the cruise. So if you want great service you are choosing the right ship.

I returned yesterday from the Star, the service was just amazing, I have never met so many officers of the ship in the other four NCL cruises that we have taken. Officers and chef's came to our table in the dining room to see if there was any questions or complaints that they could help us with, and this was at least 4-5 times during the cruise. So if you want great service you are choosing the right ship.

so glad to hear! The Star really gets mixed reviews here. I am looking forward to a great week.

Nice of Kevin Sheehan to respond.

IMO, it all comes down to how many people are in the charter group. I think the number of reserved venues and dedicated space will be proportional to the size of the group. A group of 100 will hardly be noticed, but a group of 2000 will definitely be.

Archived