Toddlers in the swimming pool

tusabrat

On a recent cruise, a couple had their toddler (in nappies) in the pool most days. The thought of what might be in the nappy totally put me off swimming the entire cruise, and somewhat spoiled things.

Clearly, a non-toilet trained child in a small public pool is utterly unhygienic. I couldn't help wondering:

- why the parents ignored the sign at the poolside saying toddlers were not permitted in the pool;

- why the staff did not stop this;

- and more importantly, why are parents a law unto themselves? :confused:

(I saw this on an RCI cruise as well)

While I have no objection to children on cruises in general, this kind of unhygienic practice is making me consider opting for adult-only cruise lines like P&O.

On a recent cruise, a couple had their toddler (in nappies) in the pool most days. The thought of what might be in the nappy totally put me off swimming the entire cruise, and somewhat spoiled things.

Clearly, a non-toilet trained child in a small public pool is utterly unhygienic. I couldn't help wondering:

- why the parents ignored the sign at the poolside saying toddlers were not permitted in the pool;

- why the staff did not stop this;

- and more importantly, why are parents a law unto themselves? :confused:

(I saw this on an RCI cruise as well)

While I have no objection to children on cruises in general, this kind of unhygienic practice is making me consider opting for adult-only cruise lines like P&O.

I'd also like to know if this was onboard an Azamara ship.

While it's unfortunate you observed this.... All it would have taken, was a mention to the Pool staff, or an Officer (who are constantly visible) and it would have been taken care of. The reality is, you might occasionally encounter guests who feel that rules are for everyone else but themselves.

Since Azamara generally has a small amount of children onboard, it's a much larger concern on a line that caters to younger children.

whenever we see this on any ship...we immediately inform staff and then see how long it takes them to take action....

in an all adult area such as the aquaspa on the S class ships, I have asked parents to take their screaming children somewhere else as that is the only quiet adult area....

yes it is not pleasant to have to do that and I wish staff were more vigilant, so passengers did not then have to bear the brunt of the response of ignorant parents....

I have often wished on any ships that more passengers got involved to insure that rules were obeyed...

I hope that we can collectively insist that rules be obeyed on the azamara ships as they are the few left with still little to offer families thus giving us a rare adult experience...

but I do understand, we are all on a holiday and dont wish to be upset by having to tell others how to be courteous....

I'd also like to know if this was onboard an Azamara ship.

While it's unfortunate you observed this.... All it would have taken, was a mention to the Pool staff, or an Officer (who are constantly visible) and it would have been taken care of. The reality is, you might occasionally encounter guests who feel that rules are for everyone else but themselves.

Since Azamara generally has a small amount of children onboard, it's a much larger concern on a line that caters to younger children.

From a different thread the OP started I'd guess it would be from the Monaco GP cruise which I *think* was Quest.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I witnessed this on the GP cruise. I didn't complain because the area was busy with staff going to and fro, so it's not like they didn't see it for themselves and frankly it's their job to police this, not mine. As pointed out by Ahoymatey1, complaining would end up spoiling my holiday too. I do see the point, though, that if more passengers complained perhaps the staff would be encouraged to tackle these issues rather than just ignoring it.

I enjoyed my Azamara experience on the whole, and was thinking about rebooking for my big birthday in 2013 - but that incident is giving me pause. However, I realise that if I've seen it on two ships, it is likely to happen on any other cruise line too. I'm currently looking at Regent and Seabourn.

I guess cruise lines don't realise that passengers may not complain but will simply take their business elsewhere.

eta - on the other cruise ship, the parent had the toddler in the whirlpool in spite of there being a pool specifically for children.

Azamara as a cruise line doesn't attract many toddlers so the odds of seeing what you described is going to be a lot less than say RCI. I have seen very few children at all on the ship and the majority are those of the guests of the officers. Personally if it had been me I would have said something to one of the crew. No need to go in heavy, but just a mention and it would have been taken care of leaving you feeling better. As it is you have come back with a negative impression and are considering an adults only line which I'm not sure you really need to.

Phil

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I witnessed this on the GP cruise. I didn't complain because the area was busy with staff going to and fro, so it's not like they didn't see it for themselves and frankly it's their job to police this, not mine. As pointed out by Ahoymatey1, complaining would end up spoiling my holiday too. I do see the point, though, that if more passengers complained perhaps the staff would be encouraged to tackle these issues rather than just ignoring it.

I enjoyed my Azamara experience on the whole, and was thinking about rebooking for my big birthday in 2013 - but that incident is giving me pause. However, I realise that if I've seen it on two ships, it is likely to happen on any other cruise line too. I'm currently looking at Regent and Seabourn.

I guess cruise lines don't realise that passengers may not complain but will simply take their business elsewhere.

eta - on the other cruise ship, the parent had the toddler in the whirlpool in spite of there being a pool specifically for children.

Hello Tusabrat and other readers -

Sometimes the best of lines do not perform as well as they should have, especially with respect to enforcing the policy to prohibit non-toilet trained toddlers into our swimming pool.

I have shared this thread with our Vice President of Hotel Operation who offered his sincerest apology and assurance that both vessels have been advised to strictly enforce this policy and to ask guests with small children still in diapers not to enter into the pool.

We're sorry that we did not meet your expectations in this situation and appreciate your Cruise Critic input so that we can hopefully make it easier for you and others to feel confident that we'll continue to exceed them in the future, if we've fallen short.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Archived