Is Intercontinental in Miami that much better?

dreamr

Hey everyone,

So I have a question. I will be sailing out of Miami in November (woo!). I currently have a reservation at the Holiday Inn, along with a lot of others from my roll call, at a nice rate. However, from what I've been reading here on CC, if I call the Intercontinental, I may be able to get a room there for around the same as what I'm paying for the Holiday Inn.

Being that this is my first real vacation (first cruise, first flight, first trip to Miami, etc), I am tempted by the idea of staying at what is listed as a 5 star hotel (not to mention that the hotel is huge and I'd love to get a room in a very high floor - yes, I'm crazy like that lol).

However, I like the thought of being in the same hotel as the other roll callers, too, so I'm hesitant to change my reservation for that reason.

So basically... is the Intercontinental so much nicer than the Holiday Inn that you would move your reservation there if you had the chance? Or are the differences between the two hotels so insignificant that it won't really matter which one we choose?

The friend that I'm going with says that it doesn't matter to her where we stay, so she's no help. I'm hoping that you guys are. lol

Thanks in advance!

The Intercontinental is a more upscale hotel compared to the Holiday Inn. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn POM before and it is an ok hotel, nothing fancy and a bit older than the Intercontinental. I did think the price for the Holiday Inn was a bit high but you are pretty much paying for the location. If it was me and the majority of the people you want to meet with are at the Holiday Inn that's where I would stay.

But if you want something upscale, a hotel where you can stay on a high floor, and is not too far from the Holiday Inn. Go ahead and try the Intercontinental.

The two hotels are less than a 5 min walk apart. So no difference there.

The two hotels are different...one being older, moderate and nothing fancy at all and the other being a nicer, newer business type highrise hotel. Request a water view if you can.

Your question being ..should you leave the roll callers to head to the IC for that hotel experience?...I would. You all will set up a time and place to meet at Bayside Mall I'm guessing and have a meal there with some of the roll calll folks. (There really isn't a great place at the HI to meet and eat.)

And since this is your first trip, why not stay at a nicer place that will really get you in the mood for a fantastic vacation? As long as the price is good for you, I'd switch. Heck, you might even get some others from your roll call to move over.;)

Have you checked out pictures on tripadvisor.com for the two hotels? You'll see the differences there.

Go on LastMinTravel, 5* Miami downtown. IC is usually the first hotel to show up. It will have a lot of pictures and usually priced around 100-130$ in nov. There will be a sentence saying call this number for a better deal.I think this is what your looking for,not the number to the hotel as they would charge considerbly more than the discount price. I have stayed in both hotels and the IC is a lot nicer.

Just my thoughts on the other part of your question, to stay with the roll callers or not. My first reaction is stay at the nicer hotel - you'll be spending the next week at essentially the same hotel (the ship) as them. You'll have plenty of opportunities to hang out on board. I'd go for the nicer hotel if the money wasn't a concern.

Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it :) Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go on LastMinTravel, 5* Miami downtown. IC is usually the first hotel to show up. It will have a lot of pictures and usually priced around 100-130$ in nov. There will be a sentence saying call this number for a better deal.I think this is what your looking for,not the number to the hotel as they would charge considerbly more than the discount price. I have stayed in both hotels and the IC is a lot nicer.

I've been looking at the prices for the IC on LMT for my cruise in early Dec.-it's listed as $141 (which a much better price than $333, if you booked directly with the hotel itself). Out of curiosity do you, or anyone else know, how much more of a discount you would get by "calling LMT's # for a better deal"? Thanks.

We always stay at IC whenever we can, so I would choose IC over any Holiday Inn, any time; however, they can be a little more $$ than Holiday Inn.

If you can can a good deal for IC, definitely choose that. I would not pick a hotel based on staying with people you have never met before. I understand you wanting to meet them, but like Waterloo said, you will be with them for a whole week on the ship anyway.

What if you hate the people on your roll call :confused::eek:

Its not likely, I find most people you meet on these boards are ultra friendly. But yes the IC is that much better book there...its not like the roll call people are going to be hanging out IN the hotel (particularly the HI).

If you book the IC, I bet some in your roll call will want to check out your room for comparison.

Yogi

I've been looking at the prices for the IC on LMT for my cruise in early Dec.-it's listed as $141 (which a much better price than $333, if you booked directly with the hotel itself). Out of curiosity do you, or anyone else know, how much more of a discount you would get by "calling LMT's # for a better deal"? Thanks.

I got an additional $10 off the price that was on the website. I did have issues with getting the reservation right. Never received an email so had to call, they had my name misspelled on my email addie. Once I got the email noticed they had mispelled it on my rezzie too so had to call back. Not a big deal and worth the $10 off ;-).

10 to 15 $ cheaper on average if you call. After you book, wait maybe a week and call the hotel to see if they have you reservation from LMT,once ours was messed up but we got it straighten out well before our cruise. We stayed at the HI about 10 years ago and paid 130 $ for one night:confused: We have been to the IC 3 times now in the last 5 years and love the hotel and location by the bay.If you arive fairly early there are sightseeing cruises 2 blocks away by bayside.

When I booked for our Dec cruise, I called and got it for about $20 less than the online price that LMT had. :) I am so excited to be staying here pre & post cruise!! Definitely not a hotel that I could have afforded without hearing about the LMT site from these boards!!

Looking for any help. We are looking for a hotel FEB 1 for 1 nite. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale but leaving from Miami. I tried LMT but coudnt find a 5 star for IC. Trying to decide if we should stay in FT lauderdale and get a ride to Miami or stay in Miami for the nite. All the hotels we find are over $300. Really dont want to spend that much. I have tried LMT,priceline,hotwire,and about 5 other sites. We are looking for 2 rooms for 1 nite or maybe 2. Any help would be appreciated. WE haven't stayed here in a few years. WE just did Galveston this past Feb.

Feb is high season. You will save by staying in Ft.L. Try priceline 3 stars - Beach. Bahia Mar or Sheraton will pop up most often for FtL. Both are nice choices for the night or two. I'd start at $115 for that date. And head up by 5$ increments.

We are staying at the IC in mid Oct. Was listed for $140 on LMT, called and got it for $120.

See, there is my problem...

If I do that, I could likely get the IC for $120... and I have the Holiday Inn for $119 (comes up to $134 with taxes). So there's practically no price difference between the two. Which is why I'm so conflicted on whether to stay at the Holiday Inn or switch to the IC.

Unless there is just something about the IC that would make a big difference, I don't really see much of a reason to switch.

...other than that whole "I want to be on the 30th floor, wooo!" childish part of me. lol

See, there is my problem...

Unless there is just something about the IC that would make a big difference, I don't really see much of a reason to switch.

Fact... There is a difference. And if the two hotels were the same $$ or close to, then everyone here, no doubt, would choose the IC. Your choice.;) BTW, IC is NOT a 5 star luxury hotel. ( 4 star business hotel is more like it.)

Have a wonderful time on your FIRST vacation!

Looking for any help. We are looking for a hotel FEB 1 for 1 nite. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale but leaving from Miami. I tried LMT but coudnt find a 5 star for IC. Trying to decide if we should stay in FT lauderdale and get a ride to Miami or stay in Miami for the nite. All the hotels we find are over $300. Really dont want to spend that much. I have tried LMT,priceline,hotwire,and about 5 other sites. We are looking for 2 rooms for 1 nite or maybe 2. Any help would be appreciated. WE haven't stayed here in a few years. WE just did Galveston this past Feb.

Here's a trick to which hotel the 5* is on LMT - add an excursion to your reservation and proceed like you are checking out. It will tell you what hotel it is

This hotel had THE MOST COMFORTABLE PILLOWS I have ever laid my head on. Have stayed there 2x and going back in Nov. The shopping area in the bay is kind of cheesy and I thought it was rather boring. But it's a great location. I booked a few weeks on LMT for $141 ($159 with taxes and fees).

Here is one for you for the time you're going. Found on lastminutetravel was first 1.

Courtyard By Marriott Miami Downtown

3Stars.gif

200 Southeast 2nd Avenue

Downtown Area

Miami FL 33131 USA

4.0-15205-1.gif

Based on 213 travelers reviews

<< View All Miami Hotels

3-star hotel in Downtown Area/Miami

3stars.gif

Rooms:1

Room Type:Standard

Adult(s)/Child/ren:2/0

Check In:Feb 01, 2013

Check Out:Feb 02, 2013

LastMinuteTravel Club member Price:127.17 USDMember Discount:0.00 USDTaxes/Fees:16.53 USDTotal143.70 USD

Hey everyone,

So I have a question. I will be sailing out of Miami in November (woo!). I currently have a reservation at the Holiday Inn, along with a lot of others from my roll call, at a nice rate. However, from what I've been reading here on CC, if I call the Intercontinental, I may be able to get a room there for around the same as what I'm paying for the Holiday Inn.

Being that this is my first real vacation (first cruise, first flight, first trip to Miami, etc), I am tempted by the idea of staying at what is listed as a 5 star hotel (not to mention that the hotel is huge and I'd love to get a room in a very high floor - yes, I'm crazy like that lol).

However, I like the thought of being in the same hotel as the other roll callers, too, so I'm hesitant to change my reservation for that reason.

So basically... is the Intercontinental so much nicer than the Holiday Inn that you would move your reservation there if you had the chance? Or are the differences between the two hotels so insignificant that it won't really matter which one we choose?

The friend that I'm going with says that it doesn't matter to her where we stay, so she's no help. I'm hoping that you guys are. lol

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures from the IC and then from the cruise ship back to IC.

2232295410032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2883076030032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2345143520032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2841761650032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2371404610032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

2301601010032790875S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived