Princess's Atmosphere

redheadinlove

So are you trying to convince us that Princess is better choice than Carnival for people in their early 20s who are looking for a party type atmosphere? I don’t know about the particular cruise you were on, but most people would tend to disagree with you.

I'm going to agree that RCCL and Carnival offer more in the lines of late night entertainment for people in their 20's. I wouldn't say Princess is full of wheel chair races and bingo. i can say that there are less activites that would interest those in their 20's. My adult kids could attest this and they have been on Princess, HAL, RCCL and Carnival. They were bored on Princess and HAL due to the lack of evening activites.

Unless bingo and wheelchair races are your thing, stay away from princess.

So are you trying to convince us that the only activities on Princess are wheelchair races and bingo? I don’t know about the particular cruise you were on, but most people would tend to disagree with you. :D ;) :D

Point being: Princess is not too much of a party. Princess is not too much of a bore. Princess is just right.

I have never sailed on Princess so I can't comment on that line. This is strictly a Carnival POV.

Friends of mine got married in July about 6 or 7 years ago on one of the smaller ships...Fantasy. They said the ship was really crowded and the pool was impossible to get in because of all the children. That said, if they had asked me first I would have told them not to do a 4 night cruise in the middle of the summer...live and learn. Anyways, other than that they had a blast!! Their pictures came out really nice too! They had a carnival photo package done and I'm sure other cruise lines offer this in their wedding package as well...

My experience for nightlife has actually been GREAT out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale...no matter what time of year I sailed but the cruise lengths were all 4-7 nights. Mostly 7 nights.

Port Canaveral was really the first port we tried that was a little quiet, but still a great cruise.

One poster said something about bringing your own party..this is so true!!! One year we met up with several people from our roll call in Miami before our 7N cruise...once on the cruise we decided to have a Toga Party... we used our bed linen and wow :D...people wanted to take pictures with us and several people were asking us where the party was and why they didn't know about it. They thought they had missed an announcement. There were about a dozen of us and we headed to the disco (followed by many other cruise passengers) and had an amazing time!

Now, I'm not 30 anymore but I still like to visit the disco on all my cruises. There are all ages in there too. (except those under age of course).

So, I guess the moral is you can have fun on any cruise line...

Congratulations and have a wonderful cruise!

155318838_06Cruise0204.jpg.ecf7c1936836b2653f61b68618136c16.jpg

1963563991_06Cruise0180.jpg.5b18368c9697cbc02cb42a55c58cb587.jpg

1079378912_06Cruise0182.jpg.cf02f8454fdfe64f1a22c6c8833bd056.jpg

344455920_06Cruise0183.jpg.683c7bb971c36e98ef580cd36b57e40b.jpg

504074509_06Cruise0187.jpg.3c25aafe77cd81bc11d0039016066f2a.jpg

So are you trying to convince us that the only activities on Princess are wheelchair races and bingo? I don’t know about the particular cruise you were on, but most people would tend to disagree with you. :D ;) :D

Point being: Princess is not too much of a party. Princess is not too much of a bore. Princess is just right.

No, the point was that most of the activities were for old people. And the reason they would disagree is because they are old.

Princess: Great for relaxing by the "quiet" pool or watching MUTS.

Princess: Beautiful Wedding Chapels

Princess: Lots of activity during the day....not so much late at night.

Princess: Classier, subdued colors/brass & glass kind of feeling/better food/less noisey.

Carnival: Noisey/activity by the pool

Carnival: Wedding Chapels are nice

Carnival: Lots of noise/dancing/music going on very late

Carnival: Colors are garish/plastic/food okay/lots of announcements on the PA.

I like to go on Carnival when I want a more lively/younger crowd feeling [which is not all the time but I do enjoy it about once every couple years!] I can't take more than that.

No, the point was that most of the activities were for old people. And the reason they would disagree is because they are old.

Uh, no. I'm far from old. Also, my post was simply to point out that you can have a "snooze" cruise on any line because of different factors.

I think that many have given the OP some really good information to help them make their decision. Whatever they choose, I hope that they have a wonderful wedding and a great cruise.

We are the only ones going on the cruise and we have a new daughter, so the nightlife is important because we want to get to be our age for once haha. Thanks for everyones response! I definitely think we'll go with carnival then.

Just curious....is your daughter going to be with you?

Obviously never been on a Princess cruise.

And Carnival has nothing to compare with a Princess "Ultimate Deck Party", which goes on and on usually after midnight. >whew<

Age has nothing to do with it, it's just a calendar notation. Activity and enjoyment have everything to do with it.

Just curious....is your daughter going to be with you?

Oh absolutely not. We wouldn't be planning on 'partying' if she were. I also refuse to pay for a 1 year old to cruise. We anctually moved our wedding date so shed be older when we left her for aweek

I am looking to have my wedding on a cruiseship. We're down to Carnival or Princess (two of the three that sail from my home port) and I was leaning towards Princess, but I'm wondering if it's a good fit for us. We're very young (will be 20 and 22), are looking forward to going to the nightclub on whatever ship we're on, will probably stay up very late most nights. How active are the nightclubs? Is there generally a good number of younger passengers? We like that Princess sounds nicer and calmer than Carnival, but I don't want it TOO calm ;)

Because of your age I would recommend Carnival . They have tendency to be more lively and party longer . Princess has a tendency to roll up the carpet a lot earlier . If heard that on some Princess cruises the night club by 11PM is totally dead.

Obviously never been on a Princess cruise.

And Carnival has nothing to compare with a Princess "Ultimate Deck Party", which goes on and on usually after midnight. >whew<

Age has nothing to do with it, it's just a calendar notation. Activity and enjoyment have everything to do with it.

Wrong, I have. People are older than Carnival. The ships are designed for it too. You can't even find a waterslide because most passengers are unable to use it.

It is true you won't find "The rolling thunder water slide", climbing walls or ice skating rinks. However, you will find a lovely ship, attentive crew, good food and lots and lots of stuff to do for old and young on a Princess ship.

My kids love Carnival because they have the best water slides and minature golf courses. Every cruiseline offers something for someone.......That said, I really didn't like the amount of un-attended children running amuck onboard Carnival and found myself babysitting other people's children.

We like to go on Carnival [off-season] when we want to be entertained, not only by the entertainers but by our fellow passengers!!! :eek:

Wrong, I have. People are older than Carnival. The ships are designed for it too. You can't even find a waterslide because most passengers are unable to use it.

OK. I get it. You have a history of 1 Princess cruise to Alaska over a year ago. And sure, it is an older demographic on that itnerary. And maybe you do think anyone over 40 is old.. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30523267#post30523267

But I think generally you just like to stir the pot based on your posting history. :p

OK. I get it. You have a history of 1 Princess cruise to Alaska over a year ago. And sure, it is an older demographic on that itnerary. And maybe you do think anyone over 40 is old.. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30523267#post30523267

But I think generally you just like to stir the pot based on your posting history. :p

No, anyone over 30 is old.

We have done Princess ( Alaska , Hawaii ,Caribbean & Panama) , Holland America ( Alaska & Panama Canal) & Royal Caribbean (Caribbean). Never have done Carnival . Friends (55+)of ours recommended that we (55+) don't cruise Carnival because found it to noisy. Princess & HAL tend to be older except the Panama at Christmas then many families with younger kids. For young and the young at at heart I would recommend Carnival or RCI.

No, anyone over 30 is old.

I couldn't help but think of this song reading your posts. Of course most of The Who are happy that they didn't "die before I get old". I'm not sure I understand this antagonism against people over 25.

My Generation 1965

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

And don't try to d-dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation

I am looking to have my wedding on a cruiseship. We're down to Carnival or Princess (two of the three that sail from my home port) and I was leaning towards Princess, but I'm wondering if it's a good fit for us. We're very young (will be 20 and 22), are looking forward to going to the nightclub on whatever ship we're on, will probably stay up very late most nights. How active are the nightclubs? Is there generally a good number of younger passengers? We like that Princess sounds nicer and calmer than Carnival, but I don't want it TOO calm ;)

Clearly what you're telling us you want an active late night club atmosphere - then go with Carnival....Like in "The Fun Ship" of Carnival. Princess is more upscale, refined in the moderately priced in the mainstream cruise segment. The 7 day Caribbean will get a diverse group of people with a clear majority 40+ and coupled. Every sailing is different on Princess as you could get lucky and get a bunch as younger folks (especially during holiday or spring break), but you could get very older crowd if it low season. With Carnival you will be more likely to find the type of party atmosphere you are looking for vs Princess. If you go with Princess just understand you will probably be in the minority. I never remember any of my cruises with Princess with the disco being packed and/or late night crowd and it was a very mixed crowd with young and old. People were dancing and having fun, but Princess is much calmer and refined atmosphere. Carnival was the opposite with a younger diverse crowd and their nightclubs are really funky with varies themes. What you should do is read as many reviews of each ship you are going on here on Cruisecritic to get a feel for what passengers who have recently sailed on the ship you are considering. You should also post you're thread on the Carnival board and get advise from the Carnival folks. You shouldn't discount RCCL either. I went of the Mariner of the seas and their nightclub was really cool. It was a two story disco that looked like a medieval dungeon and it was packed.

Clearly what you're telling us you want an active late night club atmosphere - then go with Carnival....Like in "The Fun Ship" of Carnival. Princess is more upscale, refined in the moderately priced in the mainstream cruise segment. The 7 day Caribbean will get a diverse group of people with a clear majority 40+ and coupled. Every sailing is different on Princess as you could get lucky and get a bunch as younger folks (especially during holiday or spring break), but you could get very older crowd if it low season. With Carnival you will be more likely to find the type of party atmosphere you are looking for vs Princess. If you go with Princess just understand you will probably be in the minority. I never remember any of my cruises with Princess with the disco being packed and/or late night crowd and it was a very mixed crowd with young and old. People were dancing and having fun, but Princess is much calmer and refined atmosphere. Carnival was the opposite with a younger diverse crowd and their nightclubs are really funky with varies themes. What you should do is read as many reviews of each ship you are going on here on Cruisecritic to get a feel for what passengers who have recently sailed on the ship you are considering. You should also post you're thread on the Carnival board and get advise from the Carnival folks. You shouldn't discount RCCL either. I went of the Mariner of the seas and their nightclub was really cool. It was a two story disco that looked like a medieval dungeon and it was packed.

On my last 3 Carnival cruises, I found the disco dead, even after 11pm. Other than, literally, 5 people in the disco, on one night.

Hubby and I took our first Princess cruise on the Sapphire several months ago. It was a one week cruise to Mexico (March).

I am 61 and hubby is 60, but we enjoy a wide variety of activities, especially when it is a "warm weather" short cruise (not port intensive). I LOVE dancing of all kinds.

We saw a wide variety of ages and saw many 20-40 somethings in the mix. We were actually the older ones on the ship, but were able to join in regardless.

I saw very few truly elderly people. Those that I did see were with their families, daughters, sons, grandkids.

I enjoyed the entertainment in the Piazza during the day...one which was a dance acrobatic performance by a Ukrainian couple and the other was a contest that was incredibly entertaining The people chosen to participate were in their 20's and 30's and a man who was likely in his 50's.

I was disappointed in that the disco (forgot the name) was fairly empty. Unsure why except the DJ was totally uninspiring and a real dud!

Oh, we also had a deck party one night with a live band and a flash mob lead by the ship's dancers, that was sooo much fun.

In fact, that Mexico cruise was so much fun that I regretted that my daughter and son-in-law were not along with us (30 and 31).

We have sailed with HAL and on the longer itineraries (month long), it has decidedly older folks and far more people who have mobility issues.

Most important is to check out the ship (the newer, the better, IMHO), check the itinerary...Mexico is good, a one week Caribbean is good, too.

I like to think of myself as 61 going on 40 :D

If anyone suggests underage drinking on this board the nanny crowd goes nuts, but you're going to be married.

If you stick a couple of bottles of wine in your suitcase on Princess and enjoy it discretely in your cabin, no one will be the wiser. On Carnival, I think they search or x-ray your bag. Just something to think about.

Archived