question about what you get your men to wear

fischymom

We are going on a caribbean cruise in August. My hubby normally wears only wranglers and boots. I am wondering what I can get him to wear there that will be comfortable for him but not be out of place. What shoes and pants would be appropriate? Not even going to start in on getting him swim trunks, LOL.

I finally have converted my DH from blue jeans to lightweight REI or North Face convertible pants -- the kind that have zippers to convert them to shorts. He seldom converts them, but appreciates how much lighter and more comfortable they are. And easy to pack. Sandals. Occasionally he'll wear a pair of longish shorts. And khakis for dinner on non-formal nights. Seriously, my DH loves his REI and North Face and MEC pants, LOVES them, and now owns several pairs. (Never thought I'd see him in anything BUT jeans :) )

I know Nebraska can get terribly hot & humid in the summer. What would your husband wear to a friends bbq? To a kid's baseball game? Does he wear jeans & boots for ALL occasions? If that's the case, you'll have a hard time convincing him that other clothing might be more comfortable (not to mention appropriate for a cruise). My husband is addicted to nylon shorts & shirts - Columbia has lots of options and other similar brands. Cargo short styling isn't his favorite but that's what most tend to be. And the shirts - long sleeve and short sleeve - he gets the "fishing" shirts - lots of pockets (GREAT for travel), UPF sun protection AND venting to keep him cool. The sweat wicks away, he's never hot and the clothing never sticks to his skin plus it dries really quickly if we're caught in the rain. (we don't do the Caribbean much any more, but live in the SE so hot & humid, we know:rolleyes:)

Good luck!:D

[i want to add that khaki (or other color cotton basically) shorts & a t-shirt will be what most men will be wearing around and on shore. Light trousers and a polo shirt or a button down or possibly a hawaiian shirt for casual dinner. I don't see a lot of jeans at dinner, but I've not sailed on RCI and don't know their culture or dining room dress codes.

How about a nice pair of Dockers (or equivalent)?

We went with friends to Alaska and the husband wore jeans and boots for day and changed to Dockers and boots for night.

(Yeah, I know Alaska is different from the Carribbean but we are talking dress code here.)

Just let him know what it's going to be like and if he is miserable or sticks out of the crowd, who cares. If he is miserable give him no sympathy.:p

yep this is a man that wears boots and jeans to bbq, baseball games, on our boat (extremely faded but jeans non the less)......I did get him into one of the rented tux's on our Alaskian cruise with the black formal shoes so I do have some hope. I know I will never get him into shorts but I was hoping for some good suggestions of what pants your guys like.

I was really leaning to trying to find him a dress pair of wrangler khaki pants to go with his short sleeve shirts. At least they would not be as hot and heavy as normal wranglers.

what shoes have you had hubbies find comfortable and stable?

My husband loves Merrells and has a few pairs that are very comfortable for extended walking. He also has some that are goretex hiking shoes (great for Alaska or the rain forest). He has some Sperry boat shoes that are great when he's not walking much (eg casual dinner on the ship) and some Teva hiking sandals he wears for water related activities or short hikes (less than 3 miles or so). We're actually looking for a new pair of walking shoes for him right now - leaning toward the Rockport Rock Cove in taupe.....He tried it on over the weekend at the outlet and liked but they didn't have the taupe in his size and I think that color will go with most of his clothing the best as he tends to wear warm shades - moss green, khaki, brown - and not greys or blacks.

I would at least try to get your husband into a pant that is lighter weight than denim. Maybe a Wrangler cargo pant?.

If you can't get him to change, don't sweat it. And, this is coming from a person who is almost the fashion police.

On Regent, which is very high end luxury, one of our CC friends wore boots all the time. One evening, his wife was wearing a dressy dress (they were invited to an exclusive cocktail party) and he wore boots and a sport coat without a tie. I absolutely did not think anything negative!! My thoughts were "whatever"!!

You are so right on..so many times you see these tangles between husbands and wives and it's usually the wife's issue on what he looks like. If he's comfortable, who cares. I've seen some very, very, fine looking men in some sharp suits with a nice cowboy hat and a shiny pair of boots..Lorenzo Lamas..and think of the guys on DALLAS TV show. OP,If he wore a sharp suit, and some nice shiny boots and a hat, why would that be so bad in place of a tux?

I'd head to Outdoor World or Gander's or similar place that sells the light weight pants by Columbia, and even some of the shirts they wear fly fishing are quite nice looking. You might tell him the heat in the Caribbean is going to be way hotter than Nebraska..the closer you get to the equator the hotter it's going to be.

You could also go to a Western Wear store..I've seen some "dressier" men's clothes in those places..and I've also seen Wrangler Khakis at ...believe it or not..K-Mart..as K-Mart sells Wrangler jeans.

If you can't get him to change, don't sweat it. And, this is coming from a person who is almost the fashion police.

On Regent, which is very high end luxury, one of our CC friends wore boots all the time. One evening, his wife was wearing a dressy dress (they were invited to an exclusive cocktail party) and he wore boots and a sport coat without a tie. I absolutely did not think anything negative!! My thoughts were "whatever"!!

I've also seen Wrangler Khakis at ...believe it or not..K-Mart..as K-Mart sells Wrangler jeans.

Walmart too (my earlier link for the Wrangler cargos is from Walmart)

This is one of the shirts my husband has - I bought him 2 for his birthday in April (I think I had an extra coupon because I remember them being about $14): http://www.sierratradingpost.com/redington-gasparilla-dri-block-fishing-shirt-upf-30-plus--short-sleeve-for-men~p~1996d/?filterString=s~fishing-shirt%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fmens-clothing~d~15%2F&colorFamily=07

I might have to get him a couple of these - love the patterns! I haven't seen any like this at the Columbia outlet near us.... http://www.sierratradingpost.com/columbia-sportswear-super-bonehead-classic-shirt-upf-30-long-sleeve-for-men~p~2016p/?filterString=s~fishing-shirt%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fmens-clothing~d~15%2F&colorFamily=26

He also has a Gander store brand long sleeve - we don't have any close to us but there's one close to my sis in Wisconsin so we went shopping when we were in town for her wedding a couple years ago ;-)

I am going to try to get him a pair of wrangler dress pants in a cotton mix that I think he will wear without too much complaint. And I am going to try Cabela's Cave and see if I can get him a good pair of shoes that he can walk the islands in that will be supportive but comfortable.

He will be bringing his suit jacket, dress shirts , and dress boots for formal and the dining room. And I must say he does look good in wranglers and boots :D so no complaints here. LOL.

Get him a pair of tan colored Carharts! When he gets back from the cruise, he can use the Carharts for everyday work.

I had a summer job for awhile where our "uniform" were tan Carhart pants and shorts. They were tolerable. Not a fashion statement, but durable and didn't look bad.

Archived