Regular Cruise versus World Cruise Segment

alibabacruisers

Can anyone elaborate on what the differences are, if there are any, between a regular cruise and a segment of a world cruise...as far as services, entertainment, food, etc? I have tried to search the boards and cannot find any information. On another cruise line cruisers blog, she said things were different between the regular cruise and world cruise segments. For example, she said on the world cruise segments dining room decorations for each port were more involved, there was more variety in the entertainment and lectures, etc. So I was wondering........thanks for any help!

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

The services remain the same, but the entertainment can be different on a world cruise compared to a regular cruise. For example, on a world cruise there might be troupes of local dancers who come on board in some ports to entertain the passengers. Also, the guest lecturers will be varied throughout the cruise, so that there are usually around 2 who will be giving lectures directed to the part of the world the ship is visiting. Also, the decorations in the Queens Room will vary when there are specific themed balls such as the Cherry Blossom Ball or South Seas Ball.

I do not think the food varies much but obviously local produce (eg different types of fruit) might come on board from time to time.

Can anyone elaborate on what the differences are, if there are any, between a regular cruise and a segment of a world cruise...as far as services, entertainment, food, etc? I have tried to search the boards and cannot find any information. On another cruise line cruisers blog, she said things were different between the regular cruise and world cruise segments. For example, she said on the world cruise segments dining room decorations for each port were more involved, there was more variety in the entertainment and lectures, etc. So I was wondering........thanks for any help!

Barbara

aaahhhhh where to start..... world cruise segments tend to have more sea days..(yay!)... and in my opinion the stops are more relaxed, certainly in my opinion, the guests are different, World cruises tend to be more formal, and the passengers tend to reflect that. The food may be the same as on cruises but the menues are rotated once a week on a world cruise segment. I also find the crew to be more relaxed and friendly, they dont seem as rushed, they have the time to get to know the passengers

and i think you have a better ride for it...far more enjoyable... give me a world cruise any day.... have fun which ever you choose...

aaahhhhh where to start..... world cruise segments tend to have more sea days..(yay!)... and in my opinion the stops are more relaxed, certainly in my opinion, the guests are different, World cruises tend to be more formal, and the passengers tend to reflect that. The food may be the same as on cruises but the menues are rotated once a week on a world cruise segment. I also find the crew to be more relaxed and friendly, they dont seem as rushed, they have the time to get to know the passengers

and i think you have a better ride for it...far more enjoyable... give me a world cruise any day.... have fun which ever you choose...

So very glad to see this subject being discussed as my DH and I are on the segment Freemantle to S.hampton next year on the QM 2. Please keep the info coming. What is the Cherry Blossom ball???

Thank you

marlene

Cunard's onboard programs are always good, but I think they step it up a notch for the world cruise, especially in terms of speakers. They seem to book speakers whose topics relate to the part of the world you'll be in.

In my experiences, the production shows aren't any different, but the entertainers brought on for the other nights in the theater are more varied.

So very glad to see this subject being discussed as my DH and I are on the segment Freemantle to S.hampton next year on the QM 2. Please keep the info coming. What is the Cherry Blossom ball???

Thank you

marlene

Hi Marlene,

The Cherry Blossom ball is a Japanese-theme ball held when the ship is somewhere in the vicinity of Japan. There are Japanese style decorations in the Queens Room, such as pink lanterns.

On a related issue, should world cruise segment fares be considerably more expensive (say 40% more) than similar non-world cruise itineraries? For example, the QV WC segment from NYC-to-SFO is much more than the QE FLA-to-LAX cruise that departs 2 days later -- (nearly) identical ships, same time-of-year, same canal, 16 days (QV) vs. 15 days (QE).

Any ideas? :confused:

What comes to mind initially is Cunard wants (for now) to keep rooms open on QV WC for those who might choose the entire WC (or segments longer than 16 days).

Thanks for any info.

Regular cruise versus WC segment - I have found that the ship is much quieter at night post dinner and theatre performance on a segment compared to a regular cruise. Suggested reasons perhaps; age demographic, general lethargy on longer WC, early starts on more involved shore excursions, just a coincidence? Not sure of the answer but definitely a marked contrast in my opinion. It didn't matter to me in the long run but maybe a consideration for some.

M-AR

Archived