Bonine

amcjeep4life

Is there a specific brand of this I should look for, or is Bonine a generic name? I know Dramamine cause tiredness, but I thought I read that Bonine doesn;t do that. Where exactly can I find this stuff? I've never had to use it, but I'm bringing my nephew on his first cruise and the last thing I want is for him to get sick! Thanks for the help!

Bonine is the brand name of a less drowsy motion sickness med - the generic is Meclizine. Dramamine sells a version of this called Less Drowsy Dramamine, but it is not chewable like Bonine. You should be able to find it any Wally World, Target or pharmacy

Even better yet - you can buy the chewable generic from your pharmacist. A 100 count bottle should cost you less then $5.

The regular dose is 25-50mg (1-2 tablets) for adults and kids 12 and older and lasts up to 24 hours

How old is he? Check the packaging for age requirements. They may make a non-drowsy version for children. It works great for me but there are other non-medicine alternatives also like the sea bands and ginger (candy and gum).

A word of advice starting taking it precruise and daily during the cruise if you wait until he feels ill its too late. It works better to prevent than cure.

That is true of Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) but Meclizine will work after the fact

And I take mine right before dinner. I did have a bad day of motion sickness and took a couple. Man was I tired. So now I take it about 6pm and I'm fine.

Just a little bit thirsty.

Happy Sailing!!

It worked great for my daughter who was 10 at the time (childrens type), but now 12 it failed after long drive thru mountains. Need to switch to adult for her. I just need to do some research on it first.

I get very motion sick and everything, even non-drowsy things make me sleepy. Bonine works for me. I take it before bed, it works for 24 hours and since i take it at the end of the day, i go straight to bed and the drowsiness factor doesn't bother me.

I usually start taking it the night before my flight into port and I am fine. As others have said, you can buy in wal-mart, target, any other drug store type of place.

I took Bonine on our cruise two weeks ago. I took it two days prior through two days after and felt great. I took mine first thing in the morning and wished I had taken it at night because it did make me tired.

Some people have good results with the ginger, etc but I get REALLY sea sick and it might as well be candy. Better safe than sorry...the sea sickness is like nothing I've had!

We chew one every morning on a cruise, never any side effects. Sometimes on a rougher cruise I have to take one later in the day. Our first cruise we didn't have "seasickness", just didn't feel right, not hungary; my SIL (nurse) suggested trying the Bonine & we felt better, so we never risk a cruise without it. I buy the generic at Walmart & it works fine.

Is there a specific brand of this I should look for, or is Bonine a generic name? I know Dramamine cause tiredness, but I thought I read that Bonine doesn;t do that. Where exactly can I find this stuff? I've never had to use it, but I'm bringing my nephew on his first cruise and the last thing I want is for him to get sick! Thanks for the help!

My young son took Bonine for Kids on a Disney cruise several years ago when we had to sail through a tropical storm in order to get back home on schedule. But when we sailed to Alaska last summer, I couldn't find the Bonine for Kids in any stores. So I asked the pediatrician and she told me that the FDA took it off the market for children under 12. (Not sure why). But she said to give him liquid Benadryl and it would also prevent seasickness. So we did that and it seemed to work fine. But we also used the accupressure SeaBands. I was skeptical about them at first, but they worked really well sailing through the rough North Pacific!

They both will. No difference in efficacy between dimenhydrinate OR meclizine in sea sickness prevention OR treatment.

Huh....Dramamine doesn't work for me if I am already seasick where Bonine will. Not sure why. I very easily get motion sickness, too. Might be due to the fact that Dramamine only lasts 4-6 hours and Bonine up to 24......

Even better yet - you can buy the chewable generic from your pharmacist. A 100 count bottle should cost you less then $5.

I don't buy this in bulk....it would expire on me. Although, I would love to get to the point where I am cruising for 100 days in one year. :D That would be nice!!

OP: Bonine is WONDERFUL stuff. I get motion sickness in cars as well as when on the sea (in any sized boat/ship) and since I started with Bonine, I have been barf-free...it's very nice!!

I only use it when the seas are rough (OR when we are driving long distance with my DH at the wheel:rolleyes:) ;)

I suffer absolutely no side effects from it.

From Bonine's web site:

Do not use for children under 12 years of age unless directed by a doctor

Do not take unless directed by a doctor if you have:

• glaucoma
  • trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
  • a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis

Do not take if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers, without first consulting your doctor.

When using this product

• do not exceed the recommended dosage
  • drowsiness may occur
  • avoid alcoholic drinks
  • alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
  • be careful when driving or operating machinery

If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.

Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

Poison Exposure? Questions?

Call Your Poison Center at:

1-800-222-1222

http://www.bonine.com/products/bonine-original

I got seasick in a lagoon! :o I have learned through CC the wonderful world of Bonine and ginger pills.

I take the Bonine at bedtime, so I sleep through the drowsiness. Then I take ginger pills with every meal. I start taking 2 days before cruise, so its in my system. I don't want to feel any nausea. I stop a day or two after.

Works like a charm! (for me at least) never had an issue.

~Sweet~

Huh....Dramamine doesn't work for me if I am already seasick where Bonine will. Not sure why. I very easily get motion sickness, too. Might be due to the fact that Dramamine only lasts 4-6 hours and Bonine up to 24......

That's really more product labeling than anything. Now it is certainly possible that one would work better for you than the other. Either could work as long as a day or as short as 4-6 hours depending upon the individual and of course how rough the seas are and size of the ship. Likelihood of adverse reactions/type of side effects...almost identical.

Bonine is the brand name of a less drowsy motion sickness med - the generic is Meclizine. Dramamine sells a version of this called Less Drowsy Dramamine, but it is not chewable like Bonine. You should be able to find it any Wally World, Target or pharmacy

The regular dose is 25-50mg (1-2 tablets) for adults and kids 12 and older and lasts up to 24 hours

Hi Tonya!!

The above sounds just like me! I can't take Dramamine and the generic Bonine is the best. It does work quickly and it doesn't make me sleepy. The pharmacist at Target ordered the Meclizine bottle of 100 and it was $4. The expiration date was about two years out--great deal!

Have an awesome cruise!

Karen

I use Bonine(or walmart brand). It doesn't affect some of my other meds I take.. :)

Archived