Summit review to bermuda 6/10-6/17

nuekruizer

This was my first Celebrity cruise. We had Sky Suite 6146. I was somewhat apprehensive given that I need to travel distances with an electric scooter ( and cane), but I had little difficulty getting around the ship and touring Bermuda. I will attempt to post my daily experiences as best as I can recall. First off, a word of warning at embarcation: we were shuffled to the main check in line which was quite long until we discovered the separate area to the far left for Suite /priority passengers, which was much shorter and had nice comfortable chairs. Then after a bus shuttle ride there is just a short 6 ft ramp right into the ship! A glass of sparkling wine later and elevator right up to level 5 to Bistro. Just a handful of people were there. We had a cowboy and buffalo chicken crepe, followed by the Italian and French crepes. All were great. Since we had the premium beverage package we also had pouilly fume and pinot noir as well. At about 1:45 our room was ready. Too die for! The room and bathroom were huge, deck was at least 20 feet long and had 2 lounge chairs, 2 chairs and dining table. Our butler, Singh, was wonderful and accomodating. (He told us he was returning to India in July to see his 10 mo old son.) Will continue later today. We had really no negative experiences! Please ask any questions!!

This was my first Celebrity cruise. We had Sky Suite 6146. I was somewhat apprehensive given that I need to travel distances with an electric scooter ( and cane), but I had little difficulty getting around the ship and touring Bermuda. I will attempt to post my daily experiences as best as I can recall. First off, a word of warning at embarcation: we were shuffled to the main check in line which was quite long until we discovered the separate area to the far left for Suite /priority passengers, which was much shorter and had nice comfortable chairs. Then after a bus shuttle ride there is just a short 6 ft ramp right into the ship! A glass of sparkling wine later and elevator right up to level 5 to Bistro. Just a handful of people were there. We had a cowboy and buffalo chicken crepe, followed by the Italian and French crepes. All were great. Since we had the premium beverage package we also had pouilly fume and pinot noir as well. At about 1:45 our room was ready. Too die for! The room and bathroom were huge, deck was at least 20 feet long and had 2 lounge chairs, 2 chairs and dining table. Our butler, Singh, was wonderful and accomodating. (He told us he was returning to India in July to see his 10 mo old son.) Will continue later today. We had really no negative experiences! Please ask any questions!!

Thanks for you review. Happy to hear that your cruise was filled with positive experiences.

We are cruising to Bermuda next week. Never been so a new adventure. What was the weather - any rain?

What were some of the places that you visited while on the island? Anything that we should not pass up?

Thanks again,

The weather was beautiful except for the last Port day (Friday) when it poured for half a day. Unfortunately this was the day we had arranged for a taxi tour of the island. We opted to take the taxi (for 2 hrs instead of 4 )in the rain and still enjoyed touring the island. I would suggest taking a blue flag taxi ride for at least 3 hours to see the backroads and highlights of the island rather than the bus shore excursion. You can get inexpensive tokens for the bus, but the taxi is extemely comfortable, stops whenever you say and takes you to all the special spots.( albeit at $40 per hour). A ferry ride to Hamilton and a ferry ride to St Georges is also a must and is $4.00 each way.

Review continues.. the sailaway party was great with the band Fusion. We enjoyed the line dancing while sipping our first frozen watermelon marguarites. They dont always post all the drink menus, so before we left we gathered up the beverage menus posted by cruise critic folks and brought copies with us. This way we could ask for different drinks like Pink Coconut, Cool Bermudas, etc. We put that beverage package to great use. Cafe El Bacio was our favorite place to hang out. You must try Coffee Aspen ( with frangelico, Baileys and Kalua) and Affagotto served in a martini glass with gelato and choc syrup. YUM. Nestor plays Spanish guitar there around 8 pm and really gets the crowd going!

The martini bar was our second favorite place. The bartender will mix and pour up to 12 drinks at once to the enjoyment of the patrons.

Michaels Club is dark and cozy and has all the different bottles of beer encased in glass on the wall. They do have Sports TV on most of the time (which some folks did not appreciate). We had our cruise critic meet there and personally met several officers including the cruise director, Sue Denning. She was very enthusiastic and personable.

The Welcome Show at 7 and 9:00 is definitely not to be missed. There is a sampling of the entertainment to expect on board. But all of the evening shows were fabulous!! One of the shows included an extensive and impressive River Dancing segment.

The first night we had Select Dining in the MDR, but we found the meal ordinary. I also had difficulty ambulating around that huge area with my canes, so the next evening we tried Blu, a smaller venue.We were permitted in as Suite guests). The food, presentation and attentiveness of the staff was so great that we ate most of our meals there. Nicholas, the Maitre D was very attentive and considerate ( and we were not charged extra). After the first show, shopping, and Martini Bar, we headed to our cozy suite and told Singh to prepare our breakfast out on the deck the next morning.......TBC

Laurenvit....You have the best room on the ship and will NOT be disappointed. Go to search box at top of this page. Type in suite 6146, then click on the post that says : Summit Sky Suite 6146-Post Solsticization Pics to see the room. But it does not do it justice. You could have a party in the BR and on the deck. There are these buttons on the wall next to the door to the adjoining Penthouse. It took us a while to figure them out. These control the overhead lights and pole lamp as well as mood lights above the curtains. On the wall next to the curtains is a motorized toggle switch to open the curtains and another switch to lower a sunscreen filter over the door to the deck. We used that sunscreen to take a nap so it wasnt too bright in the room.

P.S. I do have some food pics and other pics, but dont exactly know how to post them on here.

Glad you had better weather than we had. Isnt Nocholas in Blu a poppet, he really looks after every one of the guests in Blu and he has such a great team. Was Captain Kirk still singing Mona Lisa - he never got to the second line all the time the week before!!

Thanks for you review. Happy to hear that your cruise was filled with positive experiences.

We are cruising to Bermuda next week. Never been so a new adventure. What was the weather - any rain?

What were some of the places that you visited while on the island? Anything that we should not pass up?

Thanks again,

I've been to the island 5 times, and one vital bit of info that helped me a lot was to buy a ferry pass if you expect to ride the ferry a lot(it also works on the bus lines). There are different types which depends on what you want to do, and the best bet it to at least buy a 2 day pass(an adult one way fare is either $3.25 or $4.00 one way). I'm including a link to the ferry schedule below. Another great board to look at here is the "Bermuda" one(located in the "Ports of Call" section) for more tips on places to go and things to see. You can pick up ferry passes, tickets and schedules and maps from a kiosk that's just outside where you exit Customs when disembarking the ship(anyone there can direct you). Bon voyage!

http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_13212_283_1766_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/sea_express/dept___seeaexpress__ferry_schedule_new/summer_schedule_2012__web_.pdf

To the OP, glad to hear that you had a blast! We will be first time Celebrity cruisers too and we are thinking of going on the Summit to Bermuda in October. Here are my questions to you:

1) Since you were in the sky suites (which sounds fabulous by the way), is Select Dining a privilege to sky suite guests much like Blu is to the Aqua Class?

2) My 2nd question is regarding the port at Bermuda so I'll wait to read up on your review. :)

To the OP, glad to hear that you had a blast! We will be first time Celebrity cruisers too and we are thinking of going on the Summit to Bermuda in October. Here are my questions to you:

1) Since you were in the sky suites (which sounds fabulous by the way), is Select Dining a privilege to sky suite guests much like Blu is to the Aqua Class?

2) My 2nd question is regarding the port at Bermuda so I'll wait to read up on your review. :)

I can only answer your first question, as you're wanting to read the review;). Select Dining is available to everyone who books a cruise and eats dinner in the Main Dining Room(MDR). It's an alternative to Traditional Dining, which is when someone opts to eat at the same time at the same table with the same dining partners(tables seat from 2 up to 10) for the two traditional dining times(early or late seating). Select is the choice of eating at different times and at different tables in the MDR, either by booking in advance sometime during the day, or showing up and being seated at whatever is available in the Select section. It used to be that Select was only available for breakfast or lunch in the MDR(it's still that way, and called Open Seating)

Laurenvit....You have the best room on the ship and will NOT be disappointed. Go to search box at top of this page. Type in suite 6146, then click on the post that says : Summit Sky Suite 6146-Post Solsticization Pics to see the room. But it does not do it justice. You could have a party in the BR and on the deck. There are these buttons on the wall next to the door to the adjoining Penthouse. It took us a while to figure them out. These control the overhead lights and pole lamp as well as mood lights above the curtains. On the wall next to the curtains is a motorized toggle switch to open the curtains and another switch to lower a sunscreen filter over the door to the deck. We used that sunscreen to take a nap so it wasnt too bright in the room.

I Believe and hope 6146 on Summit is a Penthouse Suite and not a Skysuite,at least that's what we thought we booked...:confused:

Correct. Suite 6146 is a sky suite and separate from Penthouse, but with similar furnishings. Twice we heard some brief piano playing from the Penthouse, but not at all obnoxious, enjoyable actually.

Most mornings we had a lovely breakfast on our deck. Singh put on the tablecloth and set up everything exactly on time every day. We did pencil in items on the breakfast order that were not listed such as french toast and berries and they arrived. Singh brought the tea time cart around every day at 4 pm. If we were not in the room he would leave a variety of snacks that he knew we liked. The canapes arrived at 4:30 pm. There are 5 tiny cold toasts with cheese or tiny shrimps that were awful. We asked for a cheese plate instead. After that a big plate with cheese and crackers arrived as well as a plate with various cut fresh fruits each day. They also replenished our Evian water and ice twice daily as instructed.

I did not receive my Celebrity tote bag and complained to the butler who brought one the next day. We were not offered any free dinner and there was no special seating for suite guests in the Theater (as mentioned by Host Andy ). I will try to post some pics if I can.......more to come

Different catagories of rooms were assigned a certain color and left at different times. Suite guests were told that disembark was at 8:40 and that was exactly when we left. However, a note was left in the room and you could request a certain time to disembark if necessary. You had to get that card back to guest relations by the second sea day , I think,(?) to make your arrangements.

Archived