How early can have you gotten off the Dawn in Boston?

monicajay

I am in the process of organizing a last minute cruise from Boston on the Dawn for my MIL (85) and DD (19) for July 13th (wish I could go too:rolleyes:). According to the itinerary the ship docks in Boston at 8:00 AM.

They will be taking the bus from Boston to Burlington, VT after the trip. There is a bus at 10h30 from South Station and the next one is at 3h30pm.

Unlike air travel they do not have to arrive at the bus station an hour in advance. If they do self-disembark and take a taxi to the station I think they have time for the early bus.

I would like to hear from some fellow CC'ers who have docked in Boston this year after taking the Dawn to Bermuda. What time did you get off? Do you think this is possible?

I haven't been to the Boston cruise terminal, but seeing as its only a couple of miles from Downtown, they should be able to easily get to South Station for 10.30 as long as they are in a taxi by 10. I'd be surprised if NCL would want them to still be on the ship at that time.

I don't think they will have a problem.

Yes, it is possible. We also had a 10:30 bus from South Station & were off the boat at 9 am, at the station by 9:20 BUT we were in a suite & spoke to the concierge a few days in advance (and tipped her well). We already had priority disembarking but believe me the line was very long. We also carried our bags off. The concierge called us to the front of the line & we were the first of the priority to get off. You could probably still do it if you're not priority but it would be best to carry your own bags off. Don't know how the taxi situation is later as we had the first taxi. Good luck!

Took this cruise the last two years and going again on Friday. We were off I think around 930 last year. But as others stated above alot of people get in line and carry their own luggage off. So get in line early. If they want a taxi no problem their are plenty. We live twenty minutes from the terminal and got a taxi home right away .

Everyone needs to be off the ship by 10 anyway. Carrying off your own luggage started at 8. Even if you don't carry off your luggage, the first group of luggage tags (time coded by color) began disembarking at 9 AM. They should have little problem getting to South Station in time.

We carried our bags off May 11 and were in our car by 9:15 heading back to NH. If you do decide to carry your bags off, get in line early as the line was wrapped around deck 7 by the time they started letting us off (apprx 8:45).

The only issue I ever experienced was when we sailed the Dream, the tide was low and they had issues getting the luggage off the ship/gangway issues so there was a delay for us getting off (that was an October sailing)

South Station is only a stones throw away from the pier. When we took the bus it was like $10 cab ride with tip and a few minutes of time with no traffic

I think they should be able to do that without a problem- South Station is so close to the pier, and NCL gets you off the boat quickly. I did this cruise in Oct, carrying my own bags off, and I was off the ship by 8:30.

They should print their bus tickets out in advance, in case they do end up short on time. I've missed a couple of buses there waiting in line to pick up my tickets. And if they take a cab, specify the bus station entrance. Dragging luggage through the train station to get to the bus station can be a hassle.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Booked the cruise for them today. Still pondering the transport for them.

I'm going to drive them to Boston. Tempted to join them and just park at the pier...:rolleyes:

That sounds like a much better idea!! :D

We will NOT be doing Self-Disembark. So - two questions please...on average

1) What's The Earliest We Can Get Off The Dawn in Boston?

2) Considering The Whole Process (off-ship, luggage pick-up, customs, taxi to Logan (BOS) airport)... What Is The Earliest We Should Book Our Return Flight?

The NCL itinerary shows Ship Arrives Boston at 800AM. NCL info states "For cruise only guests booking your own return flights, we suggest a departure time no less than six hours after the announced arrival time of the ship". With 800AM arrival - that would make our earliest return flight no sooner than 200PM. Can that be - or is NCL just being safe?

Appreciate any experienced assistance. Thanks - SeaFish

We will NOT be doing Self-Disembark. So - two questions please...on average

1) What's The Earliest We Can Get Off The Dawn in Boston?

2) Considering The Whole Process (off-ship, luggage pick-up, customs, taxi to Logan (BOS) airport)... What Is The Earliest We Should Book Our Return Flight?

The NCL itinerary shows Ship Arrives Boston at 800AM. NCL info states "For cruise only guests booking your own return flights, we suggest a departure time no less than six hours after the announced arrival time of the ship". With 800AM arrival - that would make our earliest return flight no sooner than 200PM. Can that be - or is NCL just being safe?

Appreciate any experienced assistance. Thanks - SeaFish

The first group called (those who weren't doing the self-disembarkation) was around 9 AM. Then you still have to pick up your luggage; say 9:15 if you're the first one off the ship and your luggage is right there. Otherwise, say 9:30. Then you flag a cab - make it about 9:35-9:40 depending on how many other people want cabs.

I can't answer specifically about the flight times as I drive to Boston, but here are things you should know.

First, 9 AM on a Friday is still rush hour in Boston. The port and the airport are close to each other, but given the traffic I'd figure at least 30 minutes to the airport. Then, depending on where you're flying and from which terminal, you should leave at least 2 hours to get through security. It can be a real pain at Logan.

So the earliest I would book a flight would be noon.

And of course this is assuming that the ship docks on time.

dread pirate - Thanks for your info ... certainly is helpful in our planning process. Looks like a 100PM flight (should) be ok. Again - thank you. SeaFish

The first group called (those who weren't doing the self-disembarkation) was around 9 AM. Then you still have to pick up your luggage; say 9:15 if you're the first one off the ship and your luggage is right there. Otherwise, say 9:30. Then you flag a cab - make it about 9:35-9:40 depending on how many other people want cabs.

I can't answer specifically about the flight times as I drive to Boston, but here are things you should know.

First, 9 AM on a Friday is still rush hour in Boston. The port and the airport are close to each other, but given the traffic I'd figure at least 30 minutes to the airport. Then, depending on where you're flying and from which terminal, you should leave at least 2 hours to get through security. It can be a real pain at Logan.

So the earliest I would book a flight would be noon.

And of course this is assuming that the ship docks on time.

Archived