Beginners question about snorkelling

jsjjkelly

Hi!

I have never tried to go snorkelling before. If we wanted to buy a mask and snorkel before we go on our cruise, where/what do we buy? I don't want to buy a Walmart special, but is even that OK to buy?

Is there some specific manufacturer to buy/avoid? What price range should I look for?

This is a little embarassing, as it seems everyone else has done this before...

Thanks!

Shawn

Many people get a set at Costco and seem satisfied. DH is satisfied with his.

My first experience snorkeling I wanted to see what I was swimming into so I went to a dive shop and got a mask equivalent to my prescription.

Check out the Scuba and Snorkel board.

I went with a set from Costco that included a mask, snorkel, fins, and a carrying bag. It was a US Divers set. But since I wear glasses, I went with a prescription mask from snorkel-mart.com.

Hi, I see you live in the Tampa area. You have very good diveshops in that area who will be glad to help you out with equipment. If you are sure if you will want to keep snorkeling after this cruise I would rent equipment at the port of call.

Thanks all! What we wanted to do is get some equipment and head to the local beach and try it out! We FINALLY found the beach since moving here, and saw quite a few fish which made us think of getting the snorkel gear. We see so many people snorkel on cruises, but we haven't tried it yet.

I also didn't want to buy the Walmart special and then be on the ship and have seasoned veterans go "Look at THEIR gear".

I think there's a dive shop on the way to my daughters cheer gym. Looks like I get to stop!! :-)

Thanks all!

Shawn

It's best to at least take your own snorkel and maybe even a mask. They don't take up much room, and I don't like putting a "used" snorkel in my mouth. However, I use rented fins. They are pretty bulky (very bulky for a family of four), and just not worth the hassel.

I bought mine on amazon. i got a dry snorkel it's suppose to keep the water from going down the snorkel. The brand I got was U.S. Divers.

Thats what I was gonna buy - I wanna get my own snorkel at least so I dont have to use the one provided.

My husband got my snorkel gear from a local dive shop. I got his gear (almost identical to mine) from eBay for almost half the price. I would definitely recommend a dry snorkel! It's especially great if you're snorkeling in choppy water.

I have owned several dive/snorkel sets over the years...some of which I have spent way too much money for. I currently have the US Divers set from Costco that came with a small shoulder bag to carry the gear. This set is reasonably priced, durable, and I have taken it on cruises as well. The two most important things too look for in a mask are that it is made of tempered glass and that it fits your face so water does not leak in. Here is a link with some helpful tips.

http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-gear/scuba-gear-descriptions-tips/scuba-mask/default.aspx

Archived