Holland America is not ONLY for "Old People!"

Don't know that I've ever heard folk songs from the 60's or any other era.

And all of the solo artists are "contemporary" (i.e., still alive).

On our last cruise one solo guest singer wasn't old enough to emember the 80's!

The guitar player on the Nieuw Amsterdam had a whole repertoire of 60's folk songs. What fun!

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Solo artists playing contemporary music. Or even anything written in the last 10 to 15 years.

The guitar player on the Nieuw Amsterdam had a whole repertoire of 60's folk songs. What fun!

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Solo artists playing contemporary music. Or even anything written in the last 10 to 15 years.

If HAL is going to make an effort to appeal to younger people, I suspect that it would be more easily done on the 7 day cruises. Our Holland experience has been all on 10 to 14 day lengths where tha mean age seems to be about 65 with most of the "entertainment" appropriate.

When we first cruised, we were at the lower end of the passenger age. Now we are right about in the middle. If we are really lucky, we'll make to the oldest part of the spectrum;).

Last February on the NA DJ Jazzy liked my choice of Karaoke song for it being Modern.

It was Janis Joplin's version of "Me & Bobby McGee"

=)

Deb <-- Not yet 40

To each his own...

We find HAL's entertainment to be much better than Princess' and a tad below Celebrity's.

But why hasn't anyone suggested what might appeal to so-called "young" people?

That's a good question. Based on our previous experiences; the more you appeal to "young people" the more young children they bring. After raising three ourselves. We enjoy cruising without unattended children roaming the ship. We're in our mid-50's and we've paid those dues. Many of our cruises (7 day or less Royal C., Carnival) saw roaming gangs of unattended children in the evening. While the parents went to shows or gambled.. Or whatever they do. When we do family vacations (like next week) We'll rent a beach house. Cruises are reserved for Mom and Dad to recover from our children! ;)

As to your question though; It's a balance. We sacrifice some ammenities for peace of mind. Like bigger outdoor pools. HAL's pools are dinky. But we love it anyway.

That's a good question. Based on our previous experiences; the more you appeal to "young people" the more young children they bring. After raising three ourselves. We enjoy cruising without unattended children roaming the ship. We're in our mid-50's and we've paid those dues. Many of our cruises (7 day or less Royal C., Carnival) saw roaming gangs of unattended children in the evening. While the parents went to shows or gambled.. Or whatever they do. When we do family vacations (like next week) We'll rent a beach house. Cruises are reserved for Mom and Dad to recover from our children! ;)

As to your question though; It's a balance. We sacrifice some ammenities for peace of mind. Like bigger outdoor pools. HAL's pools are dinky. But we love it anyway.

We LOVE children...just couldn't eat a whole one!!:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

To each his own...

We find HAL's entertainment to be much better than Princess'.

But why hasn't anyone suggested what might appeal to so-called "young" people?

While I enjoy HAL, I DO wonder at times where the entertainment is.:rolleyes:

Now I remember, it is hidden by the poor theater lay out.:)

Problem solved.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I have nothing against 'old' people as I am one of those (well, not too old, but well into middle age) ;)

I am wondering about the diversity of age on the ships...Yes, I see that HAL has some cruisers in their 30's and 40's, but are there just a sprinkling in there, or is there truly a good mix??

I sailed one time (on Celebrity) and the ship was mostly all people in their 70's and above. This is likely due to the fact that it was a longer itinerary. I don't like sailing on a ship that is too heavy on any age group. I prefer there to be a mix. My DH joked that if he has opened a cane/walker concession stand on that sailing, we could have made a bundle.

So, I am wondering just how diverse are the ages of the passengers on a typical HAL sailing???? Even when I am in my 80's, I would like there to be a mix. For us, it just makes the cruise feel better.

I have mostly done shorter, 7 day itineraries on HAL and there is a decent mix of ages on those cruises. Still older, on average, than what I've seen on NCL and CCL, but all age groups were fairly well represented. I did a 10 day cruise on HAL and the age demographic was noticeably older. I would imagine 14 day and longer itineraries would be even less younger folks and families.

And, I do not believe this is only on HAL. I'm sure on every cruise line, the longer itineraries are going to attract an older crowd, in general. A lot of families and younger people simply do not have the time and resources to take long cruises. When you are retired, time is much less of an issue, so it makes perfect sense that you would see an older demographic on longer itineraries.

I have mostly done shorter, 7 day itineraries on HAL and there is a decent mix of ages on those cruises. Still older, on average, than what I've seen on NCL and CCL, but all age groups were fairly well represented. I did a 10 day cruise on HAL and the age demographic was noticeably older. I would imagine 14 day and longer itineraries would be even less younger folks and families.

And, I do not believe this is only on HAL. I'm sure on every cruise line, the longer itineraries are going to attract an older crowd, in general. A lot of families and younger people simply do not have the time and resources to take long cruises. When you are retired, time is much less of an issue, so it makes perfect sense that you would see an older demographic on longer itineraries.

While there are definitely little to no 20-somethings on a two week or longer cruise, in my experience on NCL and CCL, the 14 and 15 day cruises I sailed had a great mix, especially compared to Celebrity, which had no age diversity at all. I guess I can expect on HAL what I experienced on X ?

We try to take longer sailings, if for no other reason than no matter what line I sail, I HATE getting off the ship! :eek:

Age isn't just about HAL

I watched a television commercial this weekend. It showed 20-something newlywed's planning a honeymoon. They envisioned a cruise: it had a 60-something running around the deck in a Speedo.

Then it showed their perfect honeymoon: their new (Infinity?) car on a road going somewhere.

Another commercial showed them dreaming of a trip to Tahiti. With their car on a beach.

I don't get it. And who wants to take a cruise with them anyway? :mad:

We just got off of the Sapphire Princess. We usually sail on HAL. It was a 7 day cruise to Alaska. There was a nice mix of ages. However, it was heavily leaning toward the 50 & up crowd. There was no difference in the ages of the passengers you would find on other lines. We have sailed Celebrity also, and found the same mix.

I think you should forget about the age of other passengers and concentrate on your own cruise experience. You can make it what you want it to be. You will find like minded people on every ship, no matter what the line. Every ship offers a variety of shore excursions to satisfy the most adverturous, to the less active. In almost every port, you can plan a private excursion to suit you. So forget about everybody else, and make your cruise your own.

Archived