Holland America is not ONLY for "Old People!"

Exactly:D It's not how old you are - it's how old you feel:):)

Well, from the neck up I "feel" about ten. :D But from the waist down, "feeling" makes me one hundred and two. :(

We are in our late fifties and we travel frequently. We like some HAL ships but the one wish we have is that they improve their entertainment. While it is not a deal breaker for us, we seldom bother to sit through much of it.

HAL may claim that they are trying to attract a younger demographic but simply having a kid's club does not cut it. They need to start with the entertainment program and then move on to a few other items. They also need to embark on a program of capital expenditures to update the engineering on some of their ships. HAL is, IMHO, falling behind.

The handing out of prunes exiting the dining room didn't do much to help the argument either. ;)

Actually the YumYum Man hands out dates and figs, not prunes. But same thing. All are GI aids: ginger for nausea, mints for digesting, and figs/dates for well, you know .... fiber.

An average of 56 isn't so bad. At least it keeps you under the legal definition of "elderly." :D

But when we average in the neck to waist portion---that number rises considerably. :rolleyes:

But when we average in the neck to waist portion---that number rises considerably. :rolleyes:

Then maybe we should stick to how we feel in our minds. The problem with the neck up part is that it depends on how recently I've been to the beauty salon. :eek:

They also need to embark on a program of capital expenditures to update the engineering on some of their ships. HAL is, IMHO, falling behind.
Falling behind how? Their smaller ships are elegant, highly functional, fast, efficient and comfortable. Are you suggesting they need to install wave riders, skating rinks and rock climbing walls. That would make the just like the competition. How would that set them apart, competitvely. If you desires that type of stuff, cruise on a line that has and promotes it.

It took some doing but I was able to find the offending post and it's quotes and red triangle them and ask that they be removed. I will check in a few days and see if it worked.

As a follow up, I just received an email from Host Walt assuring me that the post I was referring to has been removed. I am very grateful that it no longer exists.

It is also very good to know that we can red triangle ourselves even after the passage of several years.

Falling behind how? Their smaller ships are elegant, highly functional, fast, efficient and comfortable. Are you suggesting they need to install wave riders, skating rinks and rock climbing walls. That would make the just like the competition. How would that set them apart, competitvely. If you desires that type of stuff, cruise on a line that has and promotes it.

I'm not the one who said it, but I also agree with iancal.....but not in the terms of Flowriders, etc. I mean it in a more automated way, like interactive televisions or the ability to tip extra if you wish on charge slips instead of relying on cash.

Also, some ships have gotten away from throwing all your photos on a wall and making you look for them. With facial recognition, they are all put in to a folder assigned to your room. You can also view and purchase them on the interactive tv.

No, I don't mean ice skating rinks or anything like that.

For a start I would really like to see interactive TV where we could see our bill on line and make reservations, purchases on line.

I want HAL to update their entertainment offerings and get in the game when it comes to anytime dining, ie eating in the MDR with table/time assignment.

I also think that HAL has fallen behind on updating their ships. HAL seem to be having recurring problems on specific ships-especially plumbing and A/C issues. These are systems that deteriorate over time and they need updating. Quick patches are no longer answer. Just my opinion. We stay away from these ships.

The bottom line is that HAL is going to have to compete more and more for business as they transition away from their loyal cruise base.

I'm not the one who said it, but I also agree with iancal.....but not in the terms of Flowriders, etc. I mean it in a more automated way, like interactive televisions or the ability to tip extra if you wish on charge slips instead of relying on cash.

Also, some ships have gotten away from throwing all your photos on a wall and making you look for them. With facial recognition, they are all put in to a folder assigned to your room. You can also view and purchase them on the interactive tv.

I think this, once again, speaks to HAL's desire to cater to a different demographic. One that isn't as bound to technology as the younger generation is. I have been on cruises and hotels with interactive TVs and I've never used them. I barely turn a TV on during a cruise. And I think if you ask the older generations, a lot of them will feel the same way. Of course HAL will have to eventually embrace trends that younger folks are pushing because those younger folks will turn into older folks eventually.

I'm not sure if HAL should be trying to attract younger cruisers. And the argument that they need to because their current clientele is going extinct is a myth. There are new people becoming "old" every day and at an alarming rate. If HAL keeps these newly old people happy, they will do just fine for a long time. They do need to adjust for the times, but do they need to change to capture a younger demographic. I don't think so.

The bottom line is that HAL is going to have to compete more and more for business as they transition away from their loyal cruise base.
Again, why do you feel they need to transition away from their "loyal cruise base"? I see their "loyal cruise base" potetially increasing, perhaps dramatically, in coming years. Why would you want to abandon that?

I think this, once again, speaks to HAL's desire to cater to a different demographic. One that isn't as bound to technology as the younger generation is. I have been on cruises and hotels with interactive TVs and I've never used them. I barely turn a TV on during a cruise. And I think if you ask the older generations, a lot of them will feel the same way. Of course HAL will have to eventually embrace trends that younger folks are pushing because those younger folks will turn into older folks eventually.

I'm not sure if HAL should be trying to attract younger cruisers. And the argument that they need to because their current clientele is going extinct is a myth. There are new people becoming "old" every day and at an alarming rate. If HAL keeps these newly old people happy, they will do just fine for a long time. They do need to adjust for the times, but do they need to change to capture a younger demographic. I don't think so.

Well said. I like things just the way they are but 25 years ago I would have been happier on a more lively ship. Now I would not take a cruise on one of the fun ships if paid to do so.

So even if HAL passengers are dying off they are being replaced by "newly old" people like myself. Newly old and still wondering what happened. I know I am old because I have a wallet card issued by the government to prove it. :eek:

I wonder why in this age of political correctness, the government can't come up with a better term than "old age security cheque".

We choose HAL more for its intangibles than its tangibles.

But then we also pay premium to sail on the MV Discovery which is about as old and basic as they come. But again it is the intangibles that keep us coming back for both. If there are sufficient similar demographics that feel the same way, we hope HAL does not change all that much and that MV Discovery continues to sail forever if HAL betrays its current customer base.

Plus I thought the current mandated vacuum flush systems were new? Not unlike other mandated but untested environmental systems that have often shown they work better in theory, than in practice.

I am not sure why anyone would assume that appealing to an older demographic and keeping current with technologies are mutually exclusive.

I have an uncle, in his early eighties who just switched to Apple technology. He has signed up and goes along to the store for lessons.

I think it is just a little condescending/insulting to assume that older people do not know how to use, or do not want to use, current technology. In room information systems are hardly cutting edge. They have been around for years-HAL should get in the game.

Plus I thought the current mandated vacuum flush systems were new? Not unlike other mandated but untested environmental systems that have often shown they work better in theory, than in practice.

Since it is your favourite question I know you won't mind me asking for a precise definition of "working".

I gotta say, I have been overwhelmingly SHOCKED at the amount of disrespectful posts toward "older" cruisers on HAL ships. Unbelievable!

I love HAL! I am in my mid-40's and first cruised HAL when I was 34. I found it to be so classy, fun, entertaining, relaxing and special. I saw children, families, parents, grandparents, retired couples and newborns on my first cruise. Shipboard romances of young couples were everywhere! Honeymooners abound! :p

There are a wide variety of cruisers on HAL, but I had to mention this because I was VERY put off by another poster's comment that HAL's target population is "dying off." :eek:

We never know when it is our time, and I, for one, enjoy every minute! I hope I'm lucky enough to be cruising over the next 50 years! :)

I hope HAL never turns into anything than what it already is! ;)

Please check out the Gay/Lesbian remarks about HAL. these guys weren't too kind. We do Cunard, but are seriously looking at HAL,as Cunard is cutting back big time in the caribbean. They seem to offer similer experiences to Cunard.

Please check out the Gay/Lesbian remarks about HAL. these guys weren't too kind. We do Cunard, but are seriously looking at HAL,as Cunard is cutting back big time in the caribbean. They seem to offer similer experiences to Cunard.

I'm sorry. I'm confused. What do you want me to check out? The remarks? If they are unkind, then my post still stands. I believe that People tend to "see" what they are looking for, generally speaking. I'll check it out. A particular post?

I am not sure why anyone would assume that appealing to an older demographic and keeping current with technologies are mutually exclusive.

I have an uncle, in his early eighties who just switched to Apple technology. He has signed up and goes along to the store for lessons.

I think it is just a little condescending/insulting to assume that older people do not know how to use, or do not want to use, current technology. In room information systems are hardly cutting edge. They have been around for years-HAL should get in the game.

Your uncle is very much in the minority for his age group. I work for a company that provides technology services in the medicare insurance field. Our primary focus is on researching technology for older people. By and large, they don't like it, they don't want it and they won't use it. Its changing, but its a very, very slow change.

Pesonally, I would rather HAL spend its money on providing interesting itineraries, excellent accomodations and service and good food rather than something on my TV that allows me to see my bill or order a movie or whatever else the interactive TVs do. My life does not revolve around the television. I'd much rather be outside looking at real things. :D

Honestly we've seen an older demographic on Princess than HAL. That isn't good or bad, just a statement as I've seen boorish louts in all ages, shapes, genders, sizes and nationalities.

FWIW I don't care who is on the ship with me as I'm there to enjoy my time. I could have fun if I was stuck with Richard Simmons & Joe Stalin in a phone booth. Of course I'd push Jo-Jo's buttons non-STOP, him suffering from a Napoleonic complex and all... challenge him to slam dunk contests, high jump contests and such! :D It would be awesome, except for him!

Derek

Very well said .

I always tell my kids that the new generation of "OLD" people gets cooler everyday *LOL* as technology , medicine , and current trends evolve, and people live longer and better.

My grandmother was "OLD" at 60 . grey hair tied up in a bun, wore black after my grandfather died until she went almost 20 years later. Only went out to grocery shop , go to church and the cemetary. Otherwise was home cleaning , and cooking . Listened to Sinatra , and watched Ed Sullivan and Lawrence Welk .

My mother at sixty looked 40 (shes 83 now and barely looks sixty) , she gets her hair done every week , is a champagne blonde , goes EVERYWHERE with her lady friends and senior groups . Loves to shop and doll up . And God help me, she recently finished reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" *LOL* (its quite the best seller with the ladies at her condo in Florida) :)

I will be turning 50 in November, My group grew up in the 60s and 70s. Became adults in the 80's . So we grew up with the lifetsyles and technology of that era.

We embrace new technology and gadgets easier than a generation before us. Most of us don't come from that "When I was a kid we walked to school 10 miles in the snow uphill each way " mentality.

We don't shock easily and are a lot more tolerant of things. (Never did see the big deal over Liz, Eddie , and Debbie , or God forbid Ingrid Bergman ) :) plus our music is a whole lot cooler :)

There is going to be a whole new strain of "OLD" people and I think we are going to be pretty fun :)

Archived