Best way to get to NY from south NJ

Shelli

To any South Jersey cruisers out there: what transportation do you use to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal?

We drove and parked at the pier some years back, but now it's $35/day-- not doing that!

I know some cruise lines provide buses for a reasonable price, but we're going NCL and they don't offer that. The last time we cruised out of NY, 2 years ago, we took Greyhound from Mt. Laurel to the Port Authority, then caught a cab to the cruiseport. But the bus was 1-1/2 hours late, which was more than annoying!

This time, we're considering the Bolt Bus from Cherry Hill to/from the port. The prices are the best... but will we be able to easily get a cab from the Tick Tock (is it a diner? I think so) at 8th and 34th? I know there's a cab line at the Port Authority... I guess we could walk over there easily enough to get in it.

Plus, we're traveling from Sun. to Sun., and right now the Bolt's Sunday schedule returning to Cherry Hill shows a bus leaving at 10:45-- what do you think our chances of making that bus are?

Yet another option is to leave our car in Hamilton and take the train. Has anyone done that?

We also live in SJ. We will be driving up and paying for parking. We looked into a towncar but the cheapest quote we got was for about $600 for three people. A co-worker recently took the train into Penn Station. He said that it was super easy to grab a cab and head to the pier (although the cab ride itself was pretty exciting:eek:). The train really isn't an option for us since we will be traveling with an elderly person who may have difficulty walking the distance of the train station.

The Bolt Bus stop that OP is referring to is part of the New Yorker Hotel on the NW corner of 34th. Street & 8th Avenue, and sometimes you will find a taxi or two waiting - otherwise, there should be others cruising for fares, just flag one on 34th going west toward the Hudson or going north on 8th Avenue for a faster & more direct route without going around the long blocks. Or, walk south on 8th Avenue (against traffic flow as it's one-way going north) toward the Main/General Post Office & cross to the other side of 32nd to 33rd. Street, which is Penn Plaza/Station - there is a designated taxi stand and you will find empty ones, might be a line or a wait, but the ones looking for a fare will come along.

The taxi ride over to the 12th Avenue terminal is less than 15 minutes or 25 blocks away. On your disembarkation, you should have no problem catching the 10:45 am Bolt Bus - especially if you do the Express Self-Walkoff (ships are normally docked before/by 8 a.m. and cleared to disembark by 8:30 or 8:45 a.m. and the Express ones will be called shortly) and you should be outside/past CBP by 9:30 a.m.

We're on the Star in 2011 and I swear that everyone wanted to get off ASAP to catch whatever, so the Express group was at capacity, resulting in a huge backup coming down the gangway/staircases/elevators to the luggage claims/pickup area - but, even with the mess - we're outside before 10 a.m. and we used the color coded system & were not of the rush (we did have "priority" status, not that it matter as NYC is our home port, LOL - we taxi'ed home just a little after 11 a.m.) DW said, let's see what's for lunch at the MDR, LOL - don't I wished but it was a sold-out cruise ...

Another trick we've learned (unless things changed lately for recent NYC cruisers) - if you rather let them take the luggages on the last sea day & bring them inside the terminal to claim, and you pickup/get the earliest color tags/priority tags - once you find/match your pieces, get one of the many available porters to take you thru CBP - they have an exclusive (and, fast track one) lane that really speed things up, no lines & no waiting and they will help get you faster to the taxi stand - just tip & take care of them accordingly for their services ... :D:p

To any South Jersey cruisers out there: what transportation do you use to get to the Manhattan cruise terminal?

We drove and parked at the pier some years back, but now it's $35/day-- not doing that!

I know some cruise lines provide buses for a reasonable price, but we're going NCL and they don't offer that. The last time we cruised out of NY, 2 years ago, we took Greyhound from Mt. Laurel to the Port Authority, then caught a cab to the cruiseport. But the bus was 1-1/2 hours late, which was more than annoying!

This time, we're considering the Bolt Bus from Cherry Hill to/from the port. The prices are the best... but will we be able to easily get a cab from the Tick Tock (is it a diner? I think so) at 8th and 34th? I know there's a cab line at the Port Authority... I guess we could walk over there easily enough to get in it.

Plus, we're traveling from Sun. to Sun., and right now the Bolt's Sunday schedule returning to Cherry Hill shows a bus leaving at 10:45-- what do you think our chances of making that bus are?

Yet another option is to leave our car in Hamilton and take the train. Has anyone done that?

We took the train when sailing out of NY a few years back. It was very easy to do. Parked at the Princeton Junction station for the week (we live in the Princeton area), and caught a taxi at NY Penn Station. And since you're traveling on a Sunday, you won't have to deal with the commuters which really crowd the train. IMO the train is a little more reliable than a bus. No traffic to contend with either.

We took the train when sailing out of NY a few years back. It was very easy to do. Parked at the Princeton Junction station for the week (we live in the Princeton area), and caught a taxi at NY Penn Station. And since you're traveling on a Sunday, you won't have to deal with the commuters which really crowd the train. IMO the train is a little more reliable than a bus. No traffic to contend with either.

agreed. the train is the way to go. I would just make sure that wherever you park its ok to leave your car for the week.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I appreciate your input!

agreed. the train is the way to go. I would just make sure that wherever you park its ok to leave your car for the week.

At Hamilton station, there's long term parking for $10/day. And they claim to be very secure, which is a good thing.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I appreciate your input!

At Hamilton station, there's long term parking for $10/day. And they claim to be very secure, which is a good thing.

Yes the Hamilton station parking area is very nice. Haven't heard of any issues from friends and family who use that station.

Yes the Hamilton station parking area is very nice. Haven't heard of any issues from friends and family who use that station.

This is right on we have done this twice and then walked to the ship from Penn station.

How far is it from Penn station to the ship? I'd assumed we'd need a cab.

We and many others have walked to the ship with rolling suitcases . you can get a cab it does not cost much. As far as the train you can take SEPTA and others in N.J. go to Trenton where you can switch to N.J.transit right to Penn station.

We always take the train if we are cruising NCL from NYC. We are close to the station so we take a cab to the station. Hamilton has great parking facilities.

You should be able to make the Bolt bus returning to Cherry Hill at 10.45. Make sure you pick the first debarkation color tag or do the easy walk off. It is NY, so if many ships are in port, things may be a bit slow.

Archived