Back to Back procedures in Bayonne

jcpc

Does anyone know the procedure for back-to-back cruisers in Bayonne, NJ? I believe procedures may differ from port to port and we've only done a BTB in Fort Lauderdale.

Specifically we are wondering if they make you take the little shuttle bus from the ship to the terminal and how long they make you wait in the terminal to re-board.

We're doing BTB on August 26 and September 2 and would rather spend our time sitting by the pool on the ship rather than sitting in the terminal at Cape Liberty:D

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

Does anyone know the procedure for back-to-back cruisers in Bayonne, NJ? I believe procedures may differ from port to port and we've only done a BTB in Fort Lauderdale.

Specifically we are wondering if they make you take the little shuttle bus from the ship to the terminal and how long they make you wait in the terminal to re-board.

We're doing BTB on August 26 and September 2 and would rather spend our time sitting by the pool on the ship rather than sitting in the terminal at Cape Liberty:D

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

I would answer NO. Even in Port Everglades things can change from cruise to cruise!!

Thanks FLACRUISER99. I understand that things can change from cruise to cruise.

Perhaps I worded my question incorrectly.......Is anyone willing to share what they have experienced in Bayonne? (Knowing that your experience may differ vastly from what actually happens to us.)

Thanks.

We did it December 2009. Met in the Champagne Bar and waited for everyone else to get off. This was a bit of a pain as there was 12" snow on the dockside and they didn't clear it until the ship docked, so everything was running about 1 1/2 hrs behind! Anyway, we got off (just us 2, one other couple and 2 entertainers) and got the bus to the terminal. Went through immigration and were given our new seapass cards by the Purser that accompanied us, got the bus back to the ship and did a new photo as we re boarded. It only took about 30mins (if that) altogether...just held up by the snow!

Simon

The policy is dictated by the US authorities and not the cruise line. And yes, it is a royal pain. You will have to go into the terminal where you will have your passport (or other appropriate id) checked (quickly) by a customs official. At that point you have 2 choices. You can either wait in a holding area or you may elect to leave the terminal and go off on your own for the day. If you stay in the holding area you will be held until the ship it cleared by customs..at which time they will allow you to reboard. This is one of several reasons why we never do back to backs that changeover in a US Port.

If you are lucky you will not have to wait too long. But, it can turn into a bad situation if there are difficulties getting the ship cleared. In those cases you can be held for several hours (we have friends that were not allowed to reboard until about 1pm after being taken off the ship at around 10am.

Hank

Thanks, Simon and Hank.

Hank, we had that exact situation with a back to back in Fort Lauderdale. We had to sit in the terminal for hours as they were conducting a Coast Guard inspection. We were not told this until we had arrived in the terminal - so we were unprepared (if we had known ahead of time we would have taken some cash/credit cards, etc. and done something in Fort Lauderdale).....as it was we had some pocket change and our passports......everything else was locked in the safe onboard the ship.

Hopefully we'll have Simon's experience - minus the snow of course as I don't think snow will be in issue on September 2 (well.....let's hope not anyway :o)

Archived