New Master Chefs Dinner Announced

pms4104

I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority, but I will miss the Baked Alaska parade -

The Parade was still there the night I attended the International Master Chef's Dinner. There are no sparklers, glowsticks, or other hoopla, other than a much shorter than before parade of unadorned Baked Alaska.

Then, the stewards sing the farewell song, and everyone gets teary-eyed. Or not.

.......Then, the stewards sing the farewell song, and everyone gets teary-eyed. Or not. [/color][/size][/font]

Tears are good. Covering the ears from the din, or covering the eyes from the embarrassment is not. :cool:

At first glance, the new menu looks fantastic. the only problem will be trying to decide what to eat! I'll either have to take a couple more cruises to get it all in or eat a REALLY lot!

I did notice the Baked Alaska on the menu, and I'm glad to hear that they still have a modified 'parade'. As someone before me said, different people like different things. I have found the food to be consistently good on HAL, and I don't understand the earlier remark about HAL being inconsistent. Oh well, to each his/her own.

The Parade was still there the night I attended the International Master Chef's Dinner. There are no sparklers, glowsticks, or other hoopla, other than a much shorter than before parade of unadorned Baked Alaska.

Then, the stewards sing the farewell song, and everyone gets teary-eyed. Or not.

This was the same scenario on our cruise for the International Chef's Dinner on the Oosterdam in May. We were told it was the second week of this new menu.

The offerings were the same as the menus I posted on May 23rd on CC:

http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae146/kjw869/Oosterdam%20Alaska%202012%20Menus/?action=view&current=Day6Lower.jpg

We ordered different courses from each venue and everthing was wonderful.

The first week I did eat in the dining room. The second week I returned to my custom of dining in the Pinnacle that last night. I shall continue dining there as a fitting end to a lovely cruise.
We probably could come up with a meal from that menu, but the last night we'll be joining Ruth in the Pinnacle Grill. :D

Don't know how much to believe in the story, since they present the classic Australian dessert as: "Kiwi and Passion Fruit Pavlova, a traditional meringue-based Russian dessert." :)

It is my understanding that the Pavlova was created by a hotel chef in Wellington,New Zealand to honour Anna Pavlova when she visited during a world tour in 1926.

It is my understanding that the Pavlova was created by a hotel chef in Wellington,New Zealand to honour Anna Pavlova when she visited during a world tour in 1926.

Chowhound credits Australia but I always thought this was a New Zealand national dish too - I do like it and this shows why it got the Russian connection since Ana Pavlova was Russian: http://www.chow.com/recipes/29539-pavlova-with-lemon-curd-and-fresh-berries

I remember tales of it when my parents first visited New Zealand decades ago. I think theirs was made with fruit cocktail and was a bit of a disappointment, after all the build up. But it is definitely a first class dessert choice today.

Archived