Luggage protected in rain?

Max and Ruby

Hi all,

There's a possibility of heavy downpours this Saturday when we embark. I was wondering what is done with luggage during downpours? Just left out on pier? Placed under on overhang?

I read on the forum about someone's luggage getting soaked and everything inside getting soaked, so I thought I would ask if anyone knew anything? Thinking of trying to wrap clothes/contents inside the checked luggage. Will be staying Friday night, so airport security would not be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about the Port Canaveral terminal setup (if there's overhang, etc.) but when we cruised from Lauderdale in April, it was raining when we arrived at the terminal and while the porters were hustling to get luggage indoors, bags were still getting pretty wet. We use those Space Bags a lot so we weren't worried about anything inside getting wet.

I've seen them try to keep the luggage out of the rain (under an overhang), but they don't stop the loading process and wait for the rain to end. They do move the luggage rain or not so it can get wet. I've seen it sit out on the tarmac on the runway at the airport as well since baggage handlers aren't allowed on the tarmac if there is any lightening. They pushed the baggage carts under the aircraft wing before they left, but it still gets wet.

I use a hard-side suitcase only and I do have space-bags that I use for most of my stuff just in case. It's not completely waterproof, but it does help!

We sailed from Long Beach for the 15 day to Hawaii and the skies opened whiling we were embarking. Alot of my fellow cruisers ended up with soaked clothes.

A few years ago, I encountered a similar situation except my luggage was left on airport tarmac during a monsoon:eek:.

Since then, I always wrap my clothes in dry cleaner bags and line the bottom, sides and over the top with the bags I get when I go to dress barn, etc. A bit heavier then a dry cleaner bag but does not add extra wait.

I have not had a problem since.:)

Hubby uses Space bags and loves them.

We had bags get wet in a snowstorm in NYC. Many people had wet clothing. My sister had an Eagle Creek bag that left the contents damp, and had the red color from a scarf bleed onto a white shirt. I had a hard sided case and only had a little dampness from around the zipper. Suggestion is to not only line the case with garbage bags, but pack everything inside one. EM

Thanks all for your suggestions! Might look for those space bags and pack all in white garbage bags too.

Hope I don't have to actually deal with this, but better than getting a dress ruined, or deal with the mad rush at the driers in the laundry room!

All you can really do at most ports is cross your fingers that after your luggage goes through x-ray check (and is then re-stacked in the bin for the forklift to carry to the ship sidewalk) that yours is not on top of the bin pile. Those are destined for "issues". :(

Bon Voyage!!! :)

All you can really do at most ports is cross your fingers that after your luggage goes through x-ray check (and is then re-stacked in the bin for the forklift to carry to the ship sidewalk) that yours is not on top of the bin pile. Those are destined for "issues". :(

Bon Voyage!!! :)

Remember the thread a few months ago about the oil spill on the dock that soaked one or two of the luggage bins with oil? :eek:

Remember the thread a few months ago about the oil spill on the dock that soaked one or two of the luggage bins with oil? :eek:

Yep, and those pictures were quite disturbing.

But that source of ick was coming horizontally, so my rain & gravity theory goes out the window on that one. :)

I personally use the space bags and line bag with plastic -Miami airport loves to leave bags in rain. I digress...I have seen those shrink wrap machines at the airport- perhaps pack a small roll along with days needed essentials if staying one night prior, and have suitcase shrink wrapped at airport for a fee. It is supposed to deter thieves I believe, but rain would be good too.

I am surprised duct taping seems hasn't come up...they use it for everything :eek:

We sailed from Long Beach for the 15 day to Hawaii and the skies opened whiling we were embarking. Alot of my fellow cruisers ended up with soaked clothes.

A few years ago, I encountered a similar situation except my luggage was left on airport tarmac during a monsoon:eek:.

Since then, I always wrap my clothes in dry cleaner bags and line the bottom, sides and over the top with the bags I get when I go to dress barn, etc. A bit heavier then a dry cleaner bag but does not add extra wait.

I have not had a problem since.:)

Hubby uses Space bags and loves them.

On that trip and our friends luggage was full of water. Ruined items that were for group get togethers. Have seen this happen more than once unfortunatley.

Most of the damaged luggage was dropped off early and stacked on the dock and was last to be put on board.

Instead of Space Bags, I use Ziploc Big Bags, size Large. They come 5 to a box and cost less than 7 dollars a box. They are the perfect size! I use one for tshirts, one for undies and socks, etc. As we accumulate dirty clothes during the cruise, we pack the ziplocs as we go. When it's time to pack to go home, the clothes are already in the ziplocs, ready to put in the suitcase.

I've sailed in the rain on several occasions. My bags are sometimes damp, but my clothes are nicely protected. It also helps that the bags keep everything from shifting, so I don't have to worry about wrinkles.

Funny Norwegian Jade Incident

May 28, 2009

Well not so funny for those involved. A few weeks ago, the Norwegian Jade was embarking passengers for a short cruise from Rotterdam. As they were taking the luggage from the pier to the marshalling yard on the ship, the bags fell off of the container they were on and right into the water. Remember that a ship does not touch the pier in all places. Only some of the bags could be rescued.

http://cruiseind.wordpress.com/2009/05/

"I've sailed in the rain on several occasions. My bags are sometimes damp, but my clothes are nicely protected. It also helps that the bags keep everything from shifting, so I don't have to worry about wrinkles. "

Great idea! I'll be using the ziplock bags. I despise wrinkles and wet clothes.

Good question. Here's a recent picture from the Seattle dockside- where it's been known to rain occasionally;) I've seen little bag protectors you can purchase if your luggage is permeable- but really those space bags give me a lot of comfort. I used space bags and a packing carton to encapsulate my wine inside my luggage.

7384272566_0805fb82cb_c.jpg

I am now a firm believer in space bags.

About a month ago my storage unit flooded. I had many plastic totes but the 3 feet of water just filled them up. In one of the totes (in the back of the unit so it took we over a week to get to that one) I had many stuffed animals and on the bottom of the tote was a sweater in a space bag. When I took the sweater out of the bag – it was perfectly dry!! Not a drop of water!!!

I never thought about my luggage getting wet – but now I will be packing everything in space bags.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I never thought about my luggage getting wet. Must have been very lucky before. But just in case, I am going to slide my clothes into plastic garbage bags. I have packed, but not zipped up the luggage yet.

Melanie

Good question. Here's a recent picture from the Seattle dockside- where it's been known to rain occasionally;) I've seen little bag protectors you can purchase if your luggage is permeable- but really those space bags give me a lot of comfort. I used space bags and a packing carton to encapsulate my wine inside my luggage.

7384272566_0805fb82cb_c.jpg

Love the pic!

On that trip and our friends luggage was full of water. Ruined items that were for group get togethers. Have seen this happen more than once unfortunatley.

Most of the damaged luggage was dropped off early and stacked on the dock and was last to be put on board.

Hmm. Thought we left from San Diego.

Hi Anna- see you on the Legend.

Archived