Princess Dropping Acapulco through Spring 2013

azbirdmom

Just received this notice, and I'm not at all surprised:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

For the balance of the fall 2012 and spring 2013 cruises to Mexico, Princess Cruises has decided to alter the itineraries to cancel the published visit to Acapulco. The call to Acapulco on March 22, 2013, has been cancelled. This decision has been based on our ongoing assessment of the reported continuing violence in this city. As a result our result our passengers have expressed their concerns about visiting the port under the circumstances. We regret the disappointment this decision may cause, however, the safety of our passengers and crew is our foremost priority. Of course we will continue to monitor the situation and communicate

any new developments. Thank you for your attention to this notification.

Not a surprise. Sad, though.

Couldn’t agree more – really sad. We heard about it back in January while cruising on the Coral. We bought a couple of FCCs and asked some questions about Mexican cruises. The Future Cruise Consultant advised to wait and see if the situation changes within the next 2 or 3 years.

We’ve been to Mexico on a land-based vacation and just loved it. It’s hard to find a cruise to Mexico with a really interesting itinerary. And I am not talking only about Princess.

Chelsea

Interesting that Princess still shows this as a port when you run a search for our cruise. But it is definitely off the itinerary shown on our booking summary. Maybe it will take them some time to make all of the changes to the itineraries - the notice was only sent to my TA at 11 PM last night.

Interesting that Princess still shows this as a port when you run a search for our cruise. But it is definitely off the itinerary shown on our booking summary. Maybe it will take them some time to make all of the changes to the itineraries - the notice was only sent to my TA at 11 PM last night.
On our Star cruise in March, Princess substituted Manzillo for Acapulco. They might do the same for itineraries going to Acapulco.

Wow, I didn't even know they'd added Acapulco back to their Mexican itineraries. In April 2011 we did a full-transit Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess, departing from Acapulco, and we were told then by several people at Princess - on the ship and otherwise - that ours would be the last Princess ship to dock or stop in Acapulco for the foreseeable future. It is sad, but our visit in 2011 demonstrated that it is, indeed, a very different place now than it was when we visited in years past (and loved it.) :(

On our Star cruise in March, Princess substituted Manzillo for Acapulco. They might do the same for itineraries going to Acapulco.

As of right now it shows as a sea day. Not sure if that will be the case for all cruises, but for the one from Santiago to LA on the Star next March, the next port after Nicaragua is Cabo. They have also extended our time in Nicaragua by a couple of hours, so it doesn't look like they are contemplating a replacement stop.

Terribly sad. This and all the other cruise ships that have pulled out are not going to make the situation there any better, that's for sure. What a beautiful city with so much to offer.....I feel so bad for those who made their living on cruise tourism.

Just received this notice, and I'm not at all surprised:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

For the balance of the fall 2012 and spring 2013 cruises to Mexico, Princess Cruises has decided to alter the itineraries to cancel the published visit to Acapulco. The call to Acapulco on March 22, 2013, has been cancelled. This decision has been based on our ongoing assessment of the reported continuing violence in this city. As a result our result our passengers have expressed their concerns about visiting the port under the circumstances. We regret the disappointment this decision may cause, however, the safety of our passengers and crew is our foremost priority. Of course we will continue to monitor the situation and communicate

any new developments. Thank you for your attention to this notification.

Actually, we have a full transit of the Canal booked for January and there are no stops in Mexico at all.

I just figured it was due to the problems. I wasn't disappointed because I probably wouldn't have gotten off the ship anyway.

But now it makes me wonder if there are other reasons for the 5 sea days and no stops in Mexico.

Actually, we have a full transit of the Canal booked for January and there are no stops in Mexico at all.

I just figured it was due to the problems. I wasn't disappointed because I probably wouldn't have gotten off the ship anyway.

But now it makes me wonder if there are other reasons for the 5 sea days and no stops in Mexico.

There is, due to the crime issues they dropped Acapulco and the the others on the Panama Canal trips.

Wow, I didn't even know they'd added Acapulco back to their Mexican itineraries.
I didn't either. I would have liked to visit it on a Princess Ship - just harkening back to the old Love Boat days - but it sounds like it wasn't the sunny land of Julie and Gopher any more.

Yep, they now have us scheduled to spend two days in Cabo this September.
I'd certainly prefer that to Mazatlan. My parents had a timeshare in MZT for 40 years and, I'm sorry, but in many ways the place has been unlikeable for years. I think they just went for the sun and the waves.

We were notified this morning that Princess is dropping Mazatlan from our Dec. 22 Christmas cruise. They are substituting Ensenada (yawn). I would rather have overnighted in Cabo. The new itinerary is:

12/22 Los Angeles

12/23 Sea

12/24 Sea

12/25 Puerto Vallarta 8 am to 4 pm

12/26 Cabo San Lucas 8 am to 5 pm

12/27 Sea

12/28 Ensenada 12 pm to 7 pm

12/29 Los Angeles

On our cruise next January-March they have just added a sea day no stop instead of Acapulco but an extra hour at the next stop!!:confused:

We would have stayed on rather than get off in Acapulco, so I am happy to have a sea day.

It has been mooted that lots of people feeling the same way would have a large part of the reason to cancel the stop as no one was purchasing Princess tours and they would not make any money

By the way would this mean any refund for port taxes or etc into our on board accounts?

We were notified this morning that Princess is dropping Mazatlan from our Dec. 22 Christmas cruise. They are substituting Ensenada (yawn). I would rather have overnighted in Cabo. The new itinerary is:

12/22 Los Angeles

12/23 Sea

12/24 Sea

12/25 Puerto Vallarta 8 am to 4 pm

12/26 Cabo San Lucas 8 am to 5 pm

12/27 Sea

12/28 Ensenada 12 pm to 7 pm

12/29 Los Angeles

Looking at your itinerary I see that you will be in Cabo for a few hours longer than in the past, good thing..before it was all aboard by 2ish (if I remember correctly) and then chugging up to LA. Ensenada is not a favorite ports but it can make for a restful day on board instead of a sea day from Cabo directly to LA. Being on a cruise is better than being home..Enjoy!

have fun!!

We were notified this morning that Princess is dropping Mazatlan from our Dec. 22 Christmas cruise. They are substituting Ensenada (yawn). I would rather have overnighted in Cabo.

Our March 31st cruise has 2 nights in Cabo. Would not have been to pleased with an Ensenada stop.

Looking at your itinerary I see that you will be in Cabo for a few hours longer than in the past, good thing..before it was all aboard by 2ish (if I remember correctly) and then chugging up to LA. Ensenada is not a favorite ports but it can make for a restful day on board instead of a sea day from Cabo directly to LA. Being on a cruise is better than being home..Enjoy!

have fun!!

Our March 31st cruise has 2 nights in Cabo. Would not have been to pleased with an Ensenada stop.

Yes, we did this cruise in March 2011 and Mazatlan was dropped in favor of an overnight in Cabo. To me the overnight in Cabo would definitely be preferable and I doubt we will get off the ship in Ensenada. But the longer day in Cabo is better than sailing at 2 pm so I'm sure we'll enjoy our time in Cabo. This is our first Christmas cruise so my main goal is to take a break from cooking for all the relatives. :D

We sailed out of Acapulco on our Panama Canal cruise in March 2011. We didn't stay in Acapulco overnight, just flew in that morning, took the Princess bus directly to the ship. That was a 'very interesting' but ride. At almost every intersection we saw heavy policy force wearing riot gear, and carrying very large weapons, I have no idea what they were, but kind of frightening. Some would say that it's good since there's lots of police presence, but why do they need such heavy policy security. Also, we saw some open trucks carrying policemen or what looked like Rambo look alikes, they were all wearing ski masks to cover their faces from the cartel. We couldn't wait to get on the ship.

Princess should always stop at Huatulco, that was one of the best stops on that cruise, we loved that small village.

Archived