You get what you pay for...

sarahc78

I don't think you can judge any cruise line adversely, based on one or two cruises. Some of our best cruises have been on Celebrity, and so have some of our worst. However, since I have been on so many Celebrity cruises, whenever a cruise is not up to its usual standards I consider it to be an anomaly that is not indicative of the cruise line.

While Carnival is more crowded, there are places to go on their ships for a quieter cruising experience.

I have met many professionals (physicians, attorneys, college professors) on Carnival and many blue collar workers on Celebrity. In reality, both are mass market cruise lines with a very diversified passenger base that include people from all walks of life. Disney Cruise Line, based on my one recent experience, has a much more upscale passenger base than Carnival or Celebrity, but that is probably due to the fact that you can take three Celebrity cruises for the price of one Disney Cruise.

I do think Celebrity is one of the best values because it frequently costs less than other mass market cruise lines and is very comparable to them. The difference is that Celebrity tends to come out with high prices initially and then reduce them when the ships are not filling up, while other cruise lines tend to start out lower and then raise their prices as their ships fill up.

Thanks everyone for the input & advice. After discussing it over the weekend we have decided to wait closer to our planned vacation/cruise dates to see what pricing is for the 4 or 5 7 day Caribbean itineraries w/ Carnival & Celebrity are.

We are hoping we can get some type of a special deal on a Celebrity sailing that might not be selling well. If we arent able to do that then we will just do a quick 4/5 day cruise.

Here is the X infor $749 pp 1st 2nd $499 pp 3rd 4th (w/out taxes)

Celebrity Silhouette March 2013

DatePort/CityActivityArrivalDepartureDay 1Fort Lauderdale, Florida4:30 PM Day 2At SeaDay 3San Juan, Puerto RicoDocked3:00 PM 10:00 PM Day 4Philipsburg, St. MaartenDocked9:00 AM 6:00 PM Day 5Charlotte Amalie, St. ThomasDocked8:00 AM 5:00 PM Day 6At SeaDay 7At SeaDay 8Fort Lauderdale, Florida7:00 AM

Here is the Carnival itinerary $384 pp (they dont list the price for the 3rd and 4th seperate just give a grand total :confused:)

Carnival Liberty March 2013

Saturday

Sunday Half Moon Cay, the Bahamas

Monday Fun Day at Sea

Tuesday St. Thomas, USVI

Wednesday San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thursday Grand Turk

Friday Half Moon Cay, the Bahamas

Saturday Miami, FL Fun Day at Sea

We looked into Disney as we will be in Florida for a few weeks, however our budget would only allow us a 3 day on Disney. I would much rather use that money and get a 5 or 7 day sailing.

Maybe this will help. I think beyond the obvious things that are listed, X's service will crush Carnival's but X is more layed back and relaxing too. Full disclosure: I have thoroughly enjoyed my Carnival cruises too.

Carnival Liberty Cruise Ship Statistics

Maiden Voyage July 2005

Passenger Capacity 2,974

Gross Tonnage 110,000

Length 952'

Beam 116'

Draft 27'

Crew 1,160

Decks 13

Pass/Crew Ration 2.56

Pass Space 36.6

Dining Rooms 3

Balconies 508

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Ship Statistics

Maiden Voyage July 2011

Passenger Capacity 2852 / 3000

Gross Tonnage 122,000

Length 1033'

Beam 121'

Draft 27'

Cruising Speed 23 knots

Crew 1500

Cabins 2425

Decks 13

Pass/Crew Ratio 1.9

Pass. Space 42.8

Balconies 980

Dining Rooms 10

We have done 5 carnival cruises and they are the "party" ship so expect that. We have also done Princess, Costa, Celebrity and NCL. All cruises

are good most of the time. In my opinion that is alot of money to save.

The food is definitely better on Celebrity but the food is not bad on Carnival either. The service is not real good on Carnival at least our last 3 were not that good and the previous two were excellent. Have not heard lately about their service but I believe they are cutting back on their waiters and their assistants so it is not their fault.

$2400 is almost enough money for two adults to take another cruise on Celebrity....

Carnival Liberty Cruise Ship Statistics

Passenger Capacity 2,974

Gross Tonnage 110,000

Crew 1,160

Pass/Crew Ration 2.56

Pass Space 36.6

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Ship Statistics

Passenger Capacity 2852 / 3000

Gross Tonnage 122,000

Crew 1500

Pass/Crew Ratio 1.9

Pass. Space 42.8

It appears, at a quick glance that the space/passenger and crew/passenger ratios are superior on Celebrity Silhouette...BUT...Okay...this doesn't really paint an accurate enough picture. Here's why:

The posted Passenger Capacity numbers for Celebrity are double capacity/full capacity...For Carnival, you have only posted the double capacity number. FULL CAPACITY on Carnival Liberty is 3,710 passengers.

Double Capacity is what you have when every guest cabin is occupied by 2 persons per cabin. Full Capacity is what you have when EVERY berth in every cabin is occupied...IOW, cabins that can accommodate 3rd and 4th passengers in upper bunks actually have 4 passengers.

For various reasons due to target marketing and passenger demographics, Celebrity ships typically sail, when "full", with right around the double capacity number. Whatever 3rd or 4th passengers there may be are typically balanced out by other cabins sailing with only "single" passengers.

Carnival, OTOH, fills far more of its 3rd and 4th berths than any other cruise line. Why? Because of their target marketing--Younger families on budgets. The typical Carnival customer brings the kids and keeps them in the same cabin--either due to age of the kids or family budget. Plus there's the very young, tight budget singles crowd who will even put four 20-somethings in a single cabin. The product of this is that the Carnival ships almost always sail close to that higher number. When we cruised on Carnival Liberty, the reported passenger number was in excess of 3,600!!

If you use that full capacity number for the Liberty, that Space-per-Passenger ratio drops to 29.6 and the Passenger-to-Crew ratio rises to 3.2!!

When you compare the more accurate 42.8 versus 29.6 and 1.9 versus 3.2, you can see why the Celebrity Silhouette seems so much more spacious and why the service seems so much better...IT IS!!!

It appears, at a quick glance that the space/passenger and crew/passenger ratios are superior on Celebrity Silhouette...BUT...Okay...this doesn't really paint an accurate enough picture. Here's why:

The posted Passenger Capacity numbers for Celebrity are double capacity/full capacity...For Carnival, you have only posted the double capacity number. FULL CAPACITY on Carnival Liberty is 3,710 passengers.

Double Capacity is what you have when every guest cabin is occupied by 2 persons per cabin. Full Capacity is what you have when EVERY berth in every cabin is occupied...IOW, cabins that can accommodate 3rd and 4th passengers in upper bunks actually have 4 passengers.

For various reasons due to target marketing and passenger demographics, Celebrity ships typically sail, when "full", with right around the double capacity number. Whatever 3rd or 4th passengers there may be are typically balanced out by other cabins sailing with only "single" passengers.

Carnival, OTOH, fills far more of its 3rd and 4th berths than any other cruise line. Why? Because of their target marketing--Younger families on budgets. The typical Carnival customer brings the kids and keeps them in the same cabin--either due to age of the kids or family budget. Plus there's the very young, tight budget singles crowd who will even put four 20-somethings in a single cabin. The product of this is that the Carnival ships almost always sail close to that higher number. When we cruised on Carnival Liberty, the reported passenger number was in excess of 3,600!!

If you use that full capacity number for the Liberty, that Space-per-Passenger ratio drops to 29.6 and the Passenger-to-Crew ratio rises to 3.2!!

When you compare the more accurate 42.8 versus 29.6 and 1.9 versus 3.2, you can see why the Celebrity Silhouette seems so much more spacious and why the service seems so much better...IT IS!!!

Wow Steve. You lost me half way through but I'll take your word for it. Celebrity's is that much better.

Thanks everyone for the input & advice. After discussing it over the weekend we have decided to wait closer to our planned vacation/cruise dates to see what pricing is for the 4 or 5 7 day Caribbean itineraries w/ Carnival & Celebrity are.

We are hoping we can get some type of a special deal on a Celebrity sailing that might not be selling well. If we arent able to do that then we will just do a quick 4/5 day cruise.

If you are a risk taker, book your airfare really early or even now while prices are low, and then pick your cruise much later. If a cruise isn't selling well, X tends to discount it the most AFTER final payment is due.

Of course there is a small chance this could backfire on you and prices could rise.

Dennis

I don't think Celebrity is $2800 worth better.

We have sailed on several different Carnival ships, and while they are not as elegant as Celebrity, the food and service has always been terrific (though granted, Celebrity is a notch above), the activities are indeed fun, and the cabins and storage space are actually superior to Celebrity.

We took the family on the Carnival Glory, taking 4 separate cabins. My one set of kids, who had honeymooned on Princess, said the Carnival food was better.

Have the warm melting chocolate cake for dessert on Carnival, and you will feel that the line can do no wrong! :)

We cruised Carnival in January and we were pleasantly surprised. We were not expecting much but the cruise was leaving from Charleston, SC. (very convenient for us) and the price was right. A group of 36 of us went. We all had a very pleasant time. It wasn't Celebrity but it wasn't bad either. One caution - the price Carnival listed was no where near the total price. They added taxes and port charges and they seemed a lot higher than the additional amount that Celebrity adds on. Make sure you're comparing total prices. If it really is $400 more pp I'd say go with Carnival and have a good time.

If you are a risk taker, book your airfare really early or even now while prices are low, and then pick your cruise much later. If a cruise isn't selling well, X tends to discount it the most AFTER final payment is due.

Of course there is a small chance this could backfire on you and prices could rise.

Dennis

We will be driving so air fare isnt a factor luckily for us.

We cruised Carnival in January and we were pleasantly surprised. We were not expecting much but the cruise was leaving from Charleston, SC. (very convenient for us) and the price was right. A group of 36 of us went. We all had a very pleasant time. It wasn't Celebrity but it wasn't bad either. One caution - the price Carnival listed was no where near the total price. They added taxes and port charges and they seemed a lot higher than the additional amount that Celebrity adds on. Make sure you're comparing total prices. If it really is $400 more pp I'd say go with Carnival and have a good time.

Yes the difference was after taxes and port charges were included.

Archived