You get what you pay for...

sarahc78

Originally Posted by avid

Hi Sarah..

That is a lot $ ...and obviously a matter of personal preference..For myself..I wouldn't cruise Carnival again (as you can see below I was a loyal customer for over 10 years) even if they offered it to me for free!

To me customer loyalty goes BOTH ways..and for Carnival to completely ignore a loyal customer's legitimate complaints is no way to run a company..besides..I found the food service and ambience on X ( especially this last cruise that we shared on the Summit) to be far superior to any of the 9 that I ever sailed on Carnival..

Hope you are able to make your choice based on what's best for you and your family..and enjoy your next cruise as much as I plan to enjoy mine..

Best

Avi

WOW 9 cruises w/ them. What happened if you dont mind me asking to have you stop cruising w/ them?

I am scared that since we have been so spoiled by X that even though the kids may enjoy themselves DH & I will not enjoy it.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=11367382&postcount=93

Here is the X infor $749 pp 1st 2nd $499 pp 3rd 4th (w/out taxes)

Celebrity Silhouette March 2013

DatePort/CityActivityArrivalDepartureDay 1Fort Lauderdale, Florida4:30 PM Day 2At SeaDay 3San Juan, Puerto RicoDocked3:00 PM 10:00 PM Day 4Philipsburg, St. MaartenDocked9:00 AM 6:00 PM Day 5Charlotte Amalie, St. ThomasDocked8:00 AM 5:00 PM Day 6At SeaDay 7At SeaDay 8Fort Lauderdale, Florida7:00 AM

Here is the Carnival itinerary $384 pp (they dont list the price for the 3rd and 4th seperate just give a grand total :confused:)

Carnival Liberty March 2013

Saturday

Sunday Half Moon Cay, the Bahamas

Monday Fun Day at Sea

Tuesday St. Thomas, USVI

Wednesday San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thursday Grand Turk

Friday Half Moon Cay, the Bahamas

Saturday Miami, FL Fun Day at Sea

We looked into Disney as we will be in Florida for a few weeks, however our budget would only allow us a 3 day on Disney. I would much rather use that money and get a 5 or 7 day sailing.

If you are comparing Early Saver to regular booking prices, Carnival will the be about 100 pp cheaper just because of the tighter cancellation policy. Be sure you can live with it, if you can it is a great money saver.

Carnivals private island is very nice, nicest of all the lines, it started as HALs private island. So is Grand Turk for just enjoying the beach. I would pick that itenary any day. You may save alot on excursions doing private islands if you are beach people.

Does everyone want to do the formal nights on Celebrity? Carnival will have the formal night but it is a little more relaxed, no jacket required. And their buffet at night includes most items from the MDR not the lobster most other choices. So if you think you may do the buffet on some nights CCL will be a better choice.

Carnival will have more onboard water features for the kids. Serenity area for adults.

You can carryon wine with 10 dollar corkage on Carnival.

Cabin will be bigger on Carnival.

Silhouette will be a prettier ship. It is extremely limited in pool areas for the number of passengers it carries. It will be just as crowded as any Carnival ship around the pools, maybe more so since Carnival has the water slides.

I'm thinking between the two you are looking at I would do Carnival.

Look hard at those ports that alone could make me choose the Carnival ship for the same price. Then whichever focus on the positive and have great vacation.

Just to clarify, Half Moon Cay is HAL's private island. Carnival now uses it also, if Holland isn't.

It is unbelievably beautiful. :)

We had it and Grand Turk our last cruise, we would love to go back.

Just to clarify, Half Moon Cay is HAL's private island. Carnival now uses it also, if Holland isn't.

It is unbelievably beautiful. :)

We had it and Grand Turk our last cruise, we would love to go back.

So just more clarity, I did mix my Carnival Corp and Carnival Cruise Line reference, :)

Agree both Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk are wornderful for beach lovers.

Hi Sarah..

That is a lot $ ...and obviously a matter of personal preference..For myself..I wouldn't cruise Carnival again (as you can see below I was a loyal customer for over 10 years) even if they offered it to me for free!

To me customer loyalty goes BOTH ways..and for Carnival to completely ignore a loyal customer's legitimate complaints is no way to run a company..besides..I found the food service and ambience on X ( especially this last cruise that we shared on the Summit) to be far superior to any of the 9 that I ever sailed on Carnival..

Hope you are able to make your choice based on what's best for you and your family..and enjoy your next cruise as much as I plan to enjoy mine..

Best

Avi

Thanks Avi-That has me even more excited to sail on Celebrity's Summit next April! A 7 night southern w/5 ports out of SJ. Booked an inside through our TA for $469 PP w/$100 OBC. I thought that price was outstanding :)

I feel like anytime I book a cruise for less than $100 PP per day, I'm getting a good deal.

We have sailed on both lines. I would say IMHO that for $2800 I could find good things on Carnival! Also, you don't say which ship--your children will enjoy a newer ship that has more "fun" activities for kids. Try for the newest Carnival ship you can find, and just go and enjoy the time with your family.

We have sailed on both lines. I would say IMHO that for $2800 I could find good things on Carnival! Also, you don't say which ship--your children will enjoy a newer ship that has more "fun" activities for kids. Try for the newest Carnival ship you can find, and just go and enjoy the time with your family.

She has mentioned the ship, it's the Carnival Liberty.

I know nothing about Carnival, but if you are saving that much money, it might be worth a try.

Like my DH said "they can't be that bad, or they would be out of business."

Good luck.

I agree that Half Moon Cay is a beautiful private island. We went there on a Holland America cruise a few years ago. The only other private island, owned by a cruise line, that is as nice as Half Moon Cay is Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. In fact, Castaway Cay is even nicer than Half Moon Cay.

Have been on over 15 Carnival cruises and have never been bothered by, seen or heard any rowdiness or drunks.

Worse than drunks are the rude inconsiderate passengers that cut in, push, hog chairs, don't abide by rules and etc. and are on all cruise lines no matter how much is paid.

Carnival is a lot noisier and more lively. It is what is advertises, a fun ship. X is a little more laid back, not as noisy and basically smoke free.

Have been on over 15 Carnival cruises and have never been bothered by, seen or heard any rowdiness or drunks.

Worse than drunks are the rude inconsiderate passengers that cut in, push, hog chairs, don't abide by rules and etc. and are on all cruise lines no matter how much is paid.

Carnival is a lot noisier and more lively. It is what is advertises, a fun ship. X is a little more laid back, not as noisy and basically smoke free.

Miched - I agree with you completely :)

Sarah:

I speak from experience when I say that your Carnival "experience" will be largely what YOU make it. If you do sail on Carnival, and compare every single detail with your Celebrity experience, then you may be disappointed. BUT.... if you go into it with an open mind and willingness to experience a different cruise line, then you may be pleasantly surprised. Carnival would not be the powerhouse line it is today unless it has a good solid product. We like their larger cabins, have experienced very good food, have enjoyed FUN deck parties, and we like the casual, laid-back vibe on Carnival. My biggest drawback is their ship's decor (if that what you call it!), but even that's not a dealbreaker for me.

Edit: We once did a b2b Celebrity Solstice to Carnival Freedom. Yes, there were LOTS of differences in the two ships, but both had their plusses (and minuses) and both were very enjoyable!

See I am not sure I would be able to get on board a Carnival ship and not compare to Celebrity.

I really think the kids would have a better time on Carnival, but DH & I are the ones paying for and really need the vacation lol

If you are comparing Early Saver to regular booking prices, Carnival will the be about 100 pp cheaper just because of the tighter cancellation policy. Be sure you can live with it, if you can it is a great money saver.

Carnivals private island is very nice, nicest of all the lines, it started as HALs private island. So is Grand Turk for just enjoying the beach. I would pick that itenary any day. You may save alot on excursions doing private islands if you are beach people.

Does everyone want to do the formal nights on Celebrity? Carnival will have the formal night but it is a little more relaxed, no jacket required. And their buffet at night includes most items from the MDR not the lobster most other choices. So if you think you may do the buffet on some nights CCL will be a better choice.

Carnival will have more onboard water features for the kids. Serenity area for adults.

You can carryon wine with 10 dollar corkage on Carnival.

Cabin will be bigger on Carnival.

Silhouette will be a prettier ship. It is extremely limited in pool areas for the number of passengers it carries. It will be just as crowded as any Carnival ship around the pools, maybe more so since Carnival has the water slides.

I'm thinking between the two you are looking at I would do Carnival.

Look hard at those ports that alone could make me choose the Carnival ship for the same price. Then whichever focus on the positive and have great vacation.

We are beach people so I really like Carnivals itinerary because it would take us more places to enjoy...plus I am thinking more time off the ship might makre for a better trip if we dont like Carnival???

Thanks Avi-That has me even more excited to sail on Celebrity's Summit next April! A 7 night southern w/5 ports out of SJ. Booked an inside through our TA for $469 PP w/$100 OBC. I thought that price was outstanding :)

I feel like anytime I book a cruise for less than $100 PP per day, I'm getting a good deal.

We love the Summit! You will have a great time that is a great itinerary!!!

We actually were looking at that itinerary also, the airfare for 7 people is just too much for us when we add up how much $ we will be spending in Florida.

Sarah - Have you considered this possibility? Book the Carnival cruise for now and then keep an eye on the prices of the two cruises. Then if the Celebrity cruise goes down substantially between now and the time of the cruise, you can cancel the Carnival cruise and book the Celebrity cruise.

If I am reading correctly their cancellation policies are a lot stricter than X. I wouldnt want to screw myself by getting stuck w/ a booking or have to pay $ to cancel.

I don't think crowds are a concern for the OP. They are staying 4 and 3 in inside cabins!

ha ha no kidding! I think it will be a rude awakening from our huge FV Aft cabin we just had last month :o

Sarah - Carnival has two types of booking policies. With their regular plan you can cancel any time up to final payment without any penalty. However, you can not get any price reductions after final payment. This booking option is very similar to Celebrity.

However, they also have an early saver option if you book over six months in advance. With this plan if you see the same cruise advertised for less, Carnival will give you that price, up until just a few days before the cruise leaves. This plan, though, has a stricter cancellation policy because the deposit is not refundable, but it can be used as a credit toward a future Carnival cruise.

We've done two on each line, X and Carnival (and other lines, too, but they don't matter). The first Carnival we took was ok. I thought it was fine, DH and DS were not so sure. We took another Carnival out of Baltimore and it was not nearly as good as the first one. (Elapsed time, about 18 months.) There were drunk people literally falling on the floor. Both Carnival cruises featured running rowdy children and loud drunken people. The second Carnival had poor service and inedible mdr food. Just our opinion. The comedy clubs on both were good. The entertainment was good. The price was right. But, I did get the Motel 6 kind of feel the second time.

The two X cruises had superior service, much better food, nicer quieter ambiance, etc. Generally, well behaved children. The second was in the Med, so you got a slightly older, more European feel, too. The experience both times was terrific.

We are considering a cruise for late this year and next Spring. We are looking at a couple of X cruises and a couple of Princess (the line we take most often) cruises, and no Carnival.

Just my two cents. There is no such thing as a bad cruise and everyone has their own opinions of what they like (and are willing to pay for).

Ohiodoglover

True, Celebrity is more upscale than Carnival. On the other hand, Carnival is no longer the party boat cruise that it once was. It is a very family oriented cruise line which offers a "fun" product. Of course if you sail Carnival on one of the shorter cruises during spring break, you will indeed find a lot of young people having a hoot. Tyis is not as lickely on a longer cruise. I have enjoyed all my cruises on Carnival and would not hesitate to go again.

I have enjoyed my cruise on Celebrity and am looking forward to my next one. Given you are planning a family cruise, the Carnival itinerary appears to be the best of the two. Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk have GREAT beaches. It also should be mentionned that Liberty has just been refurbished with the inclusion of the Fun Ship 2.0 venues. Adults on the Liberty can enjoy the Serenity area and kids will have a blast in the Waterworks. For the type of cruise you are planning, I know what I would choose, Carnival Liberty. Plus you will save a bundle. Go and have fun!

Is that really the case in regards to cruising?

We are looking to do a Caribbean cruise next year so we have been pricing stuff out. I noticed that Carnival has almost the exact itinerary as X (1 port missing), leaves same day, same amount of days...but they are $400 pp cheaper :eek: For our family it is a $2800 difference. That seems like an awful lot.

We've only done RCL & X so I have absolutely 0 experience w/ Carnival.

Is Carnival really that bad?

I love Celebrity, but that said for $2800 difference I would choose Carnival. That money goes a long ways for drinks, shore excursions, and more. IMO any cruise is better than no cruise so try it. If you like it fine, if you have issues you will not have to ask your question next time.

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I've done 2 cruises now, 1 with Carnival (the Legend out of Tampa) and 1 with Celebrity (the Equinox out of Rome.)

I enjoyed both experiences. On Carnival, it was a cheap getaway that introduced me to cruising. I didn't really have any complaints about the cruise. I would probably do one again.

On Celebrity, it was our Honeymoon...and in Europe. We treated ourselves well on that vacation (for obvious reasons.) I have no complaints about Celebrity. I would definitely do Celebrity again.

When it comes down to it, I can see why Celebrity is $400 more per person. And I would pay it. It's hard for me to pin point exactly what the differences were between the two lines, but I can tell you that Celebrity is a noticeable step up from Carnival. That being said, I've already mentioned I would sail Carnival again. But I wouldn't expect it to be on the same level as Celebrity. Now that we've moved within 30 minutes of Port Canaveral, I would totally grab a 3 night Carnival ship for a long weekend getaway last minute. When I'm planning my week long real vacations though, we'll sail with Celebrity and drive down to Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

ETA: For what it's worth, we're two adults, no kids.

We were on the Summit in May and there was a so called comedian that I think has the name of Bruce Smirnoff. He kept making references about Carnival and the people that cruise on that line. I didn't think that he was funny, didn't appreciate the references to the the passengers, since I am one and have never heard a comedian make a direct reference like he did. Theremweremalso,a few other passengers that I talked to that also didn't appeciate it. Most times other comedians or CDs will say the line that sounds like, rhymes with or etc. I am easy going, Polish and love Polish jokes, and will tell them because it is want I/ we are. But I think the cruise line that sounds like barnacle gets a lot of bad press that is not warranted.

I am not a cruise snob and love any cruise, X is my fav but not my one and only. Sometimes I like a beer and other times a shot, sometimes I put them together. It all depends on the mood.

My last cruise (16 cruises) on Carnival was in 2004. I no longer have any interest in cruising with them. After trying other lines, they just don't stack up in my book. Changes in demographics is evident. I will pay a premium to cruise other lines as it's worth to me for what I'm looking for in a an overall cruise vacation. IMHO the best ships that Carnival has in their fleet are the Spirit class ships. I did not like the Destiny/Conquest class at all. Crowded and poorly designed.

Carnival does well but they are now going after the first time cruiser more than ever.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/News/News-Headlines/At-Carnival-a-focus-on-cruise-rookies-international-sales.html

From reading the Carnival boards over the last couple of years, some of the posters who's opinion I respect feel that Carnival continues to slide south. To each their own but I will stay away.

Hi Sarah, When I read your comments on thread number 37, I thought to myself, this lady has made up her mind. IMHO... If you cannot see yourself being able to just experience what carnival has to offer, and are afraid you will constantly compare Celebrity and Carnival, then don't set yourself up for an unhappy experience. Go Celebrity. Your kids are going on a wonderful cruise, and it is YOUR decision which one it will be. They will have fun no matter what. Make the decision based on the adults wishes, and then relax and enjoy!

I didn't have any negative feelings on my Carnival cruise. In fact, I still read their John Heald's (the head cruise director) blog. With nothing to compare against, I thought the food ranged from very good to excellent. The service was good, nothing noteworthy, but that didn't upset me. I liked having a different comedy show every night (on our itinerary, they flew in different comedians at a port of call before two more sea days).

Carnival Liberty is a ship that particularly excites me because it received some of the "Fun Ship 2.0" upgrades (food and entertainment options). And Carnival has a good reputation for their kids programs. So I'd go for the $2800 savings and the ship, but I cruise for the ship as much or more than the ports!

Having sailed exclusively on RCI, with our first X cruise coming up, we did one Carnival out of Baltimore, the Pride, and there were just too many things that were inexcusable, i.e., inedible food--seriously, DH sent back his dinner more than once,) awful MDR service (had to ask for water, ask for wine glasses, ask for bread for the table,) those kinds of things. Did we have an awful time? Of course not. Any vacation is what you make of it, and we did have a great time. That said, while I would consider giving Carnival another chance, if the situation presented itself, DH's exact words about it were, "Don't ever put me on a Carnival ship again."

So to answer OP's original question: Yes, we would (and will continue) to pay more for what we consider to be better cruise lines.

While I agree what you experienced is unacceptable and inexcusable, that is not the norm on Carnival. I've never experienced that in the MDR in 13 cruises. That said, you did experience it, and I can understand why you would never want to return to Carnival. Happy sailing :)

Archived