transportation, Anchorage to Seward for 1

I posted this in the AK ports of call but have gotten no reply so am reposting in hopes someone can help.

My daughters 18 year old friend is joining us last min (due to a cancelation with another member of our family) on a RCCL cruise leaving on a Friday.

My family will already be in Seward when she flies into Anchorage Thursday afternoon. I am looking for an option for her to get to Seward. The train leaves early and the motor coach service I looked at is not available on Thur. She is 18 and I don't want her to spend the night alone in ANC. Any ideas ?? I hate to have to rent a car and pick her up as we have a tour set up for Thursday ourselves..

I posted this in the AK ports of call but have gotten no reply so am reposting in hopes someone can help.

My daughters 18 year old friend is joining us last min (due to a cancelation with another member of our family) on a RCCL cruise leaving on a Friday.

My family will already be in Seward when she flies into Anchorage Thursday afternoon. I am looking for an option for her to get to Seward. The train leaves early and the motor coach service I looked at is not available on Thur. She is 18 and I don't want her to spend the night alone in ANC. Any ideas ?? I hate to have to rent a car and pick her up as we have a tour set up for Thursday ourselves..

I really can't help you but I'm assuming you know it's a pretty long ride, so you may want to have her get up early to do the train unless you want a very long round trip.

What time does she arrive in Anchorage? The train we took to Seward departed the airport station around 1pm. If her flight gets her in by noon, she might be able to catch that train and meet you in Seward. Otherwise her best option might be to spend a night in Anchorage unless you are able to rent a car and drive back to Anchorage to pick her up. Remember that you will be in Alaska at a time when there are the most hours of daylight so even in the evening you will still be driving in daylight. If it were me, I'd forfeit the tour if that were necessary in order to pick up my daughter's friend. As an afterthought, have you contacted RCI to inquire whether or not they can provide a transfer for the young woman?

Yeah, I saw it was a about a 3 hour trip so that is why I am desperately trying to find a way to get her here with out me :). The earliest flight she can get into Anchorage is noon so there is no way to get her on a train that day. I will call some motor coach companies as soon as they open this morning, and hope they have a Thursday group going to Anchorage she can jump on from the airport.

What time does she arrive in Anchorage? The train we took to Seward departed the airport station around 1pm. If her flight gets her in by noon, she might be able to catch that train and meet you in Seward. Otherwise her best option might be to spend a night in Anchorage unless you are able to rent a car and drive back to Anchorage to pick her up. Remember that you will be in Alaska at a time when there are the most hours of daylight so even in the evening you will still be driving in daylight. If it were me, I'd forfeit the tour if that were necessary in order to pick up my daughter's friend. As an afterthought, have you contacted RCI to inquire whether or not they can provide a transfer for the young woman?

Do you remember what train you took? When I looked one left Anchorage at 6:30am. I would definitely drive to get her before I would let her stay overnight of her own. I know she is going off to college soon but I would not rest knowing she was alone all night.

Do you remember what train you took? When I looked one left Anchorage at 6:30am. I would definitely drive to get her before I would let her stay overnight of her own. I know she is going off to college soon but I would not rest knowing she was alone all night.

RCI sold us an upgrade from the bus transfer to the train for $25 per person. It was an Alaska Railroad train that departed from the train station at Anchorage Airport around 1 or 1:30 pm. and arrived in Seward beside the dock in the late afternoon. We sailed hours later.:)

If she does end up staying overnight in Anchorage, and if she does take the early mornining train on Friday (if there is an early morning train on Friday), I would recommend she stay at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek.

That is where we stayed on our honeymoon in 2003 and we were able to walk to the train station for our early morning train to Seward. The hotel is just on the other side of the tracks from the station.

I do agree with others though, it would be much better for her to get to Seward on Thursday, whatever it takes. Do any small planes fly between Anchorage and Seward?

What time does she arrive in Anchorage? The train we took to Seward departed the airport station around 1pm.

That is the dedicated "cruise train" and it can only be booked as transfer with the cruise line. The Alaska RR itself does not sell tickets for it at all. It only operates on days cruises depart Seward.

The regular, scheduled Alaska RR train from Anchorage to Seward, the Coastal Classic, leaves Anchorage daily at 6:45am and arrives Seward at 11:05 am. BTW, it departs from the downtown Anchorage station, not the airport station. The airport station is only used for the dedicated cruise train, no other trains use it.

There is no scheduled air service to Seward, although some kind of air taxi could probably be arranged at a price, it being Alaska.

Yeah, I saw it was a about a 3 hour trip so that is why I am desperately trying to find a way to get her here with out me :). The earliest flight she can get into Anchorage is noon so there is no way to get her on a train that day. I will call some motor coach companies as soon as they open this morning, and hope they have a Thursday group going to Anchorage she can jump on from the airport.

There is a shuttle that will pick up at the airport until 1:30 pm -$43. alaskatransportation.net

Archived