Which Cruise Line/Itinerary?

MarcieandTed

We are a family of 4, parent late 40's and two daughters ages 12 and 14. We are hoping to book a balcony for the adults and an inside for the girls. The girls have never cruised before, and hoping they won't be bored in Alaska. DH and I have been on two cruises (Celebrity Mercury and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas).

We've narrowed it down to three cruises leaving Seattle on August 11, 2012:

HAL Westerdam (cheapest): Glacier Bay

NCL Jewel: Inside Passage

Golden Princess (most activities): Tracy Arm

Would LOVE any and all recommendations and suggestions based on age group and itinerary!

Also do you think the girls are too young to be in their own cabin? I'm not sure how close we can get it to ours at this late of date. Our girls are pretty conservative and are aware of being safe. If we bring another adult for that cabin - is it usually 1/2 price for the 3rd passenger?

Thanks so much!!

The best advice I've read on this Alaska board is to start with deciding what ports you want to visit, what activities you would like to do in each port, checking on availability and timing of those activities, then finally choosing a cruise that has the itinerary that best matches what it is you want to accomplish in each port.

You'll have other factors to weigh ie. kids club, price, cabin availibility, etc., but I think the above is the best place to start.

I think Princess has a better kids program than Holland America, but the Westerdam's itinerary sounds better to me. When I checked, it looked like there wasn't an option to book all four of you in one cabin on the Golden Princess. You'll probably pay more to pick out specific cabins. Princess has a way of pricing the lowest categories of cabins in each type of cabin (inside, outside, balcony, etc.) as guarantees a lot of the time--especially this close to the sailing date. You'd probably have better luck with Holland America at getting an inside across the hall from a balcony cabin. The best advice would be to find a good travel agent to work with. A good TA should be able to find you what you want.

I wouldn't recommend NCL since you've sailed on Celebrity and RCL.

I wouldn't recommend NCL since you've sailed on Celebrity and RCL.

Geoherb... just wondering what you meant? Is NCL similar to Carnival? I'd have to say we wouldn't choose Carnival, no matter how much more *fun* it would be for the kids. We're not into loud belly-flop contests and all that. My husband and I are pretty quiet.

I'll call a TA and see if we can get pricing etc. I wish there was a way you could just see which staterooms were available online.

We are oldsters: 75/69: have done more NCL crusing than other lines: Except for free style dining we love NCL: We will be sailing on Hal/ Westerdam this year as daughter and senior in college grand daughter, who have never cruised before, are coming along: I think dining and food selection on Hal are much better: but NCL has the best shows and over all entertainment: Thus said ;I just read where Westerdam has DVD in each room and current selections down at curtousy desk: Also a movie theater: ( We are looking forward to our holidy cruise) but of course that isn't helping your cruise to Alaska: Check out "tween clubs" on each line: If you pick the correct one... you probably won't see much of your youngsters all week: They will be far to busy involved in their own activities: Happy Cruising:

I have sailed NCL several times, as well as all the major cruiseline sailing Alaska except Disney.

You may want to look at the itineraries. There will be differences, you may not be aware of, but when known become iimportant.

Determine, what you want to see and do in the ports. Look at ports, time in ports, glacier- tours.

The kids will not be able to "officially" be in their own cabin. It will have to have an adult. If you can't get next door cabins, I would think twice about them being alone.

I do not agree on the NCL comment. They do a good job in Alaska. Demographics are the same on Alaska sailing on all cruiselines. All ages sail with more middle aged and above.

I started cruising with my parents and taking a friend along when I was about their age. We always got our own cabin directly across or right next to my parents and it was never a problem. We would carry walkie-talkies around the ship to keep in touch. Yes, it would definitely be cheaper for the third person in the room. I would recommend calling the cruise line or your travel agent to see if they are able to switch you around so that you can be close, just in case. Alaska is usually a pretty port intensive cruise, so you won't be on the ship too much anyways.

Alaska is NOT too boring for a younger crowd by any means. I'm in my early twenties and I went with my family. It is all what you make of it and what you decide to do in your ports. The wildlife and experiences are exciting for everyone.

We did notice that HAL had an older crowd. We kept ourselves busy with onboard activities and games on sea days, but we hardly saw any kids on the ship.

We took one NCL years ago. When we switched over to Royal Caribbean, I noticed how much nicer things were and decided I would not go back. Then we started sailing Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America--and wouldn't go back to RCI either.

I've read mixed reviews since NCL instituted its freestyle cruising. I also used to say I'd never sail on Carnival again, but I changed my mind this past spring and went on a short cruise. It was one we could drive to. I'd do that for NCL as well. But I wouldn't spend a lot of money to fly across the country to get on an NCL ship when there are better ships out there.

Most cruise lines will not allow you to book a room without an adult as one of the registered occupants. That does not stop you from allowing the girls to occupy the cabin by themselves once on board. As far as cruise lines go I think you will find Alaska to be a very family friendly destination - no matter which line you choose. While it may be a bit late for Aug 2012, NCL has family friendly suites that have two bedrooms and come with all the perks - but they go fast. I have only sailed on NCL so I can't compare to other lines. I will say that I have not had a bad NCL cruise experience - I also approach any vacation with a positive attitude and don't let little things ruin it. NCL has evolved the freestyle concept over the years and now their ships are clean and the crews friendly - and they have the best suites at sea.

As for your itinerary, both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm are nice - for different reasons. You can usually get closer to a glacier in Glacier Bay - but only three lines go there - Princess, HAL, and NCL.

Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway are the most popular ports there are lots of things to do in each - whales, glaciers, gold history, and native culture.

For more information on ports look here:http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

I suggest that you make up your mind soon as the Aug cruises are the most popular and fill fast.

We did this on Oasis of the Seas, and our girls were right across the hall. We had to check in with my wife and one child in one cabin, and myself and the other child in the other cabin. But once we were onboard, it was adults in one and kids in the other. Our Cabin Steward knew, and really took care of both cabins ... especially since he knew where his gratuity for the other one would be coming from; lol.

No issue whatsoever, and the girls "loved" it ... made them feel special to have their own room.

Bonvoyagie, Thanks for replying also on the NCL website. We switched our thoughts to the Pearl (leaving on 8/12) because it goes to Glacier Bay. Who knows if we'll ever get back to Alaska and from various threads on CC I've realized we should see it this time.

Budget-wise, we can't do the suite, as lovely as it sounds. DH wants to do an oceanview + inside which we have determined is available. Upgrading to balcony + inside across from each other adds another $1400. My TA has agreed to let us sleep on it over the weekend and he will still honor the NCL promotion that expired today. (onboard credit of $155 for the two rooms combined)

I really would love the idea of a balcony but DH wants to use that money for our excursions. Are there enough places on deck to hang out and watch the scenery go by? I love to just read on vacation and have a nice view when I look up from my book.

Geoherb, we are also able to drive to Seattle, saving a lot on airfare. I hope NCL isn't too wild/party for us, but we do like the idea of being able to wear nice jeans in the MDR and eat whenever we want. My TA said despite NCL being "between Carnival and RCCI", they put the best service people on their Alaska cruises because the clientele in Alaska expects more. (Any truth to that?)

Does anyone know if the pool slides and outdoor activities are in operation in Alaska? My 12 year old is dying to do it all.

Geoherb, we are also able to drive to Seattle, saving a lot on airfare. I hope NCL isn't too wild/party for us, but we do like the idea of being able to wear nice jeans in the MDR and eat whenever we want. My TA said despite NCL being "between Carnival and RCCI", they put the best service people on their Alaska cruises because the clientele in Alaska expects more. (Any truth to that?)

Does anyone know if the pool slides and outdoor activities are in operation in Alaska? My 12 year old is dying to do it all.

I'm back in May from cruise #75, my profile states I have sailed NCL 27 times. They do do a great job in my opinion. I have sailed all the other lines- TO Alaska except for Disney. All were similar- no party ships. :)

This year- I am actually sailing Princess, HAL, and RCI to Alaska- over a 5 week trip.

I have sailed the Pearl to Alaska, but in my opinion, it does have the crappiest upper deck space for viewing. Superior- but will require switching back and forth side to side, is the mid open side decks. No glass look through and no side navigational equiptment.

I'm still bummed about not having a balcony and not being on HAL (service, great food, elegant ship)... one option to get one and be on HAL is to either do a Quad Balcony (for $800 more than NCL) or get two balcony guarantees and ask for them as close as possible... ($200 LESS than an oceanview + inside on NCL)... but then DH and I would likely be split 1 adult and 1 child since they probably won't be close together.

I'm getting the sense that NCL is a lot like RCCI, constant selling, loud announcements in the rooms, art auctions, trays of pricey drinks being pushed in your face, etc. I know my kids would be highly entertained by the bowling alley, rock wall, etc. but they don't know at this point what the options are. I started this process really wanting to do the Westerdam. We enjoyed our Celebrity cruise much more than RCCI and my thought is that HAL is more like Celebrity (or nicer).

Any thoughts on what it's like in a quad balacony with tweens on HAL? Does anyone have photos of the beds set up? What about the two balcony guarantee idea? Has anyone done that and been pleasantly surprised? Opinions?

I normally don't plan last minute, but we snoozed on any sort of vacation this summer and one daughter refuses to go anywhere hot so that leaves Alaska!!

BTW, during our availability window, Aug 6-12 departure, Princess doesn't go to Glacier Bay, only Tracy Arm. :( We can drive to either Seattle or Vancouver. Doing a one way is too $$ for airfare.

I'm still bummed about not having a balcony and not being on HAL (service, great food, elegant ship)... one option to get one and be on HAL is to either do a Quad Balcony (for $800 more than NCL) or get two balcony guarantees and ask for them as close as possible... ($200 LESS than an oceanview + inside on NCL)... but then DH and I would likely be split 1 adult and 1 child since they probably won't be close together.

I'm getting the sense that NCL is a lot like RCCI, constant selling, loud announcements in the rooms, art auctions, trays of pricey drinks being pushed in your face, etc. I know my kids would be highly entertained by the bowling alley, rock wall, etc. but they don't know at this point what the options are. I started this process really wanting to do the Westerdam. We enjoyed our Celebrity cruise much more than RCCI and my thought is that HAL is more like Celebrity (or nicer).

Any thoughts on what it's like in a quad balacony with tweens on HAL? Does anyone have photos of the beds set up? What about the two balcony guarantee idea? Has anyone done that and been pleasantly surprised? Opinions?

I normally don't plan last minute, but we snoozed on any sort of vacation this summer and one daughter refuses to go anywhere hot so that leaves Alaska!!

BTW, during our availability window, Aug 6-12 departure, Princess doesn't go to Glacier Bay, only Tracy Arm. :( We can drive to either Seattle or Vancouver. Doing a one way is too $$ for airfare.

Your continued comments are stong on the money. Is this your priority? At this late time, there isn't going to be any "perfect" cruise choice. They are all "good" choices. Do you have any glacier priority? Any "must do" touring? These could narrow down your selection.

For clairfication- ALL the ships push purchased and parting with your money. They don't usually have the announcements in your room, however, on any of the lines. I do not find NCL and RCI any more than the others- but it is also darn easy for me, to never notice it. I really don't understand how it bothers others?? It isn't Mexico with people chasing you down a street. It's not Guatamala with hords of people following you for blocks. Good grief- it's a single announcement at the activity time, it's a paper notice in your mail, etc. Actually, I am glad for the sales pitch. Those who do purchase generate revenue, which keeps my cheap inside cruise price lower. :)

Yes, BudgetQueen, unfortunately we are trying to keep costs down and maximize value for money. I'm trying to convince DH that the cruise price includes transportation, hotel AND food, whereas a similar length trip to Hawaii would have probably cost a lot more (our other option).

On my RCI cruise the speaker was always blasting in the room. I think we figured out how to turn it off/down toward the end of the trip. I don't know why but I just envision a HAL cruise as more peaceful than a Norwegian one. I can't put my finger on exactly why though. Maybe I'm wrong... ?

Yes, BudgetQueen, unfortunately we are trying to keep costs down and maximize value for money. I'm trying to convince DH that the cruise price includes transportation, hotel AND food, whereas a similar length trip to Hawaii would have probably cost a lot more (our other option).

On my RCI cruise the speaker was always blasting in the room. I think we figured out how to turn it off/down toward the end of the trip. I don't know why but I just envision a HAL cruise as more peaceful than a Norwegian one. I can't put my finger on exactly why though. Maybe I'm wrong... ?

I just sailed RCI Jewel last month, and the Navigator in Nov. neither had blasting announcements. Was your experience recent? It can be, I just tune it out and don't pay any attention.

I do have to say, I sail NCL in Hawaii every year, and find that itinerary just absolutely ideal. :) I do extend my time a couple more weeks, since I have to pack in the snorkeling and whale watching. :) Certainly both trips have great potentials.

Good to know about the announcements. That cruise was in the caribbean in 2004, hard to believe it's been 8 years. I searched the NCL thread on announcements and opinions range from "you will go postal" to "don't hear them". I guess the main question is, are there plenty of peaceful places to read on deck or near a window while watching the scenery go by if we don't get a balcony?

The main difference between the HAL and NCL itineraries is Skagway (7:00am-8:00pm) on NCL vs. Sitka (7:00am-3:00pm) on HAL. Both go to Glacier Bay, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria for approx. the same amt of port time.

From what I've read, Skagway seems to have a few more interesting options and it's nice to have a longer time in port.

Good to know about the announcements. That cruise was in the caribbean in 2004, hard to believe it's been 8 years. I searched the NCL thread on announcements and opinions range from "you will go postal" to "don't hear them". I guess the main question is, are there plenty of peaceful places to read on deck or near a window while watching the scenery go by if we don't get a balcony?

The main difference between the HAL and NCL itineraries is Skagway (7:00am-8:00pm) on NCL vs. Sitka (7:00am-3:00pm) on HAL. Both go to Glacier Bay, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria for approx. the same amt of port time.

From what I've read, Skagway seems to have a few more interesting options and it's nice to have a longer time in port.

Look over the varied shore excursions that are unique to each port. See what is of interest. The most popular out of SKagway is the White Pass RR, and various combo tours. It can be a must, if interested in scenery and history. :)

Sitka, has the only inside assessable boat tours to a puffin rookery. You do have to book this independent as the ship contractor, does not always go in that direction- this ends up being a varied wildlife boat tour, likely to see sea otters and humpbacks. Sitka has distinct Russian history, and plenty to see and do in port. It is a tender port.

Archived