Tropical Storm Debby Forms in the Gulf

The National Hurricane center is now showing Debby to possibly head for Texas, which could change some Galveston itineraries..

FOX keeps saying no one can tell which way it is going. People here in TX say we have some kind of front which will more than likely push it east, so I think it wouldnt hit TX myself.

I would say Florida, or along the coast just as likely as Galveston at this point.

Here in the Tampa area we are hearing that no one knows. It will either be Texas as a fast moving system or Tampa/ parts north of here as a slow soaking (read flooding) storm. All anyone knows is that development will occur this weekend. Flip a coin and you will likely be as accurate as the current forecasts:)

Well the one thing they agree on is it seems to be going to hit inside the gulf area and they are warning those on the oil rigs to get out and shut down.

I was on conquest when Ike took a turn .. the last 24 hours, and fooled everyone and hit Galveston. It was predicted to hit Brownsville much further west.

We sail out of NO tomorrow...should I be concerned? Will they be able to bring the ship in there tomorrow? Will it be able to get out and head due south, which looks like it would be right into the storm?

First time I've had to be worried about a hurricane affecting our cruise plans...I guess it was bound to happen eventually.

We sail out of NO tomorrow...should I be concerned? Will they be able to bring the ship in there tomorrow? Will it be able to get out and head due south, which looks like it would be right into the storm?

First time I've had to be worried about a hurricane affecting our cruise plans...I guess it was bound to happen eventually.

Its a big ocean, and I would think they could easily avoid Debby if its going west .. but who knows for sure which way Debby will turn?

Chances are they can sail around Debby.

I have been living in the New Orleans area my whole life and never have I seen tropical weather start this early. I thought beginning of July would be free and clear of these storms. We have always gone on vacation July 4th week and have never had problems. :rolleyes:

We sail out of NOLA on 1 July. I hope that storm stays away!!!

That is not going to happen, but by July 1, it should be long gone, unless it decides to do circles in the Gulf.

Good question, but whatever happens if you get to the Gulf you are going to have a bouncy ride for the first day. Remember that this is still a tropical storm and is not expected to reach hurricane strength.

:eek: I just checked out the port cams on portfever dot com. It's pouring in Port Everglades and there are no ships at the Port of Miami yet - strange for a Sunday I think??

:eek: I just checked out the port cams on portfever dot com. It's pouring in Port Everglades and there are no ships at the Port of Miami yet - strange for a Sunday I think??

Looks like something from a spooky movie (at this time of day), water should be pretty churned up.

I have been living in the New Orleans area my whole life and never have I seen tropical weather start this early. I thought beginning of July would be free and clear of these storms. We have always gone on vacation July 4th week and have never had problems. :rolleyes:
That's what we thought when we booked Conquest out of NOLA in 2005, sailing on July 3. We ended up with Hurricane Dennis causing us to miss Grand Cayman and return to NOLA a day late, and that last sea day was pretty bumpy. I've never seen so many "Do not disturb" signs on cabin doors.

It's constant rain right now in Tampa with gusts of wind up to 30. Feel sorry for those leaving on the Legend today.:(

IF they get out. I'm not there, but the broadcast on t.v. shows a LOT of activity in Florida. Looks like the storm is heading east instead of west.

Good question, but whatever happens if you get to the Gulf you are going to have a bouncy ride for the first day. Remember that this is still a tropical storm and is not expected to reach hurricane strength.

Latest from the National Hurricane Center has Debby as a Cat. 1 hurricane by midweek and positioned in the Gulf of Mexico between Louisiana and Texas.

I just checked Miami schedule, no ships due in. Bet the dock workers are happy!

It looks as if Florida is getting doused pretty good by this storm as it develops. It looks on first glance like the storm is headed to Florida with all that rain, but the location of the storm is deceiving--the center of the storm is to the left of all the rain...

The models to date are all over the place, so if a forecaster is saying it is going to do one thing or the other, it is mostly because he "trusts" a certain model more than the others. In reality, it could go just about anywhere in the Gulf depending on what other conditions develop. Luckily, water temps are not really high yet...that could make it a real problem!!

We're headed across from Texas to Florida this week, so we're keeping an eye on the storm. I'll also be keeping an eye here and wishing all of our fellow cruisers good luck as ships move around the storm. Missing ports stinks, but that is the hurricane season...

Archived