Hammock on LOS corner aft 1400

workathome

I was lucky enough to snag 1400 on Liberty of the Seas on the 11-23-13 cruise. It's very far away, but worth the wait. I was wondering if anyone has hung a hammock on the balcony? Looking at the pics I have a couple of ideas, but if anyone has done it please share your ideas. Now that they are limiting the loungers I would like some place to lay and take full advantage of the balcony!

I was lucky enough to snag 1400 on Liberty of the Seas on the 11-23-13 cruise. It's very far away, but worth the wait. I was wondering if anyone has hung a hammock on the balcony? Looking at the pics I have a couple of ideas, but if anyone has done it please share your ideas. Now that they are limiting the loungers I would like some place to lay and take full advantage of the balcony!

There is a couple of pics in this thread. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243860&highlight=hammock+on+balcony

The kids at my daughter's college are crazy about this product:

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/SINGLENEST.html

I've seen plenty of students on her campus lounging about between trees -- a few of them were even studying!

Available in single or double widths, the kids call them Enos -- stands for Eagle's Nest Outfitters, the name brand. I hear they're very good quality and can be slung up anywhere. They fold up to maybe the size of two tee-shirts, so they'd be nice to take ashore as well. Do consider the extended length straps.

She's asked for one, and I think I'll get her one for Christmas . . . partly because I know she'll let us borrow it for cruising!

If you buy one, I would love to know whether it works on a corner aft balcony.

Thanks everyone! We have one similar to that already, but if we didn't after seeing it I would definelty look into since we camp also. That is why I will probably just bring it incase. If it works I will let you know.

Well, considering that the cruise lines ask us not to leave things out on the balcony and considering that you would have to figure out a way/place to hang it without damaging or altering anything, I'm not sure it's feasible. I also think the cruise line might have a safety concern. If a passenger is allowed to hang a hammock and then has an accident when cruising (say, the ship lists unexpectedly), the cruise line would be looking at a liability problem. (Yes, I know that personal responsibility should enter into it, but the cruise lines have to look at it from a worst case scenario.)

You would do best to contact RCI and see if such a thing is even allowed. I kind of doubt it. Since they ask passengers to not leave clothing, coolers, or anything else on the balcony, it follows that a hammock would be even more of a no-no.

beachchick

Youre not allowed to alter the ship in any manner, and you cannot keep things on a balcony 24/7. There's no way to anchor a hammock onto the steel walls of a ship.

This is so interesting when you consider how many people won't dress for formal nights because of luggage weight, and now a hammock?

Tablemates of ours on one cruise had a hammock on their balcony. They had a great corner suite on the Westerdam and invited all of us to enjoy afternoon drinks and canapes on one of our sea days.

My comment about altering the ship was only in regard to how you would be able to hang it. I suspect kitty9's comment about formal wear was not directed at you specifically, but was a general observation about airline luggage costs and restrictions.

Of course you should enjoy your balcony. IMO, it's ridiculous for the cruise line to no longer have/allow loungers on aft balconies--There's no better place for them and they are one of the things many people love about those afts. Do contact the cruise line, but remember that phone reps often don't know or even give incorrect information. You may be able to find a way to hang it without affecting any part of the balcony and you may get permission to use it. It's important to realize though that the experience of other passengers is unrelated to whether this specific captain on this specific ship will allow it at all.

beachchick

• 3 weeks later...

If you search a thread on this you will find folks have used high capacity velcro to attach hammocks on these balconies. We have 1400 on the Independence in January 2013...we plan on bringing our hammock and velcro and will report back with photos!

Archived