How does Trivia work?

In 2008 on the Imagination, they selected 3ppl to come up on stage. I was one of the lucky 3 :D. They had podiums or whatever they're called...sorta like on Jeopardy and a buzzer. The host would ask a question and the first person to buzz in was able to have the first guess. Deducted points if you were wrong and allowed the other 2 contestants to buzz in. At the end, the contestant with the most points won.

It was a 3 way tie and the tie breaker was the first person to buzz in and do the Chicken dance won. I ended up buzzing in first and had to do the Chicken dance in front of everyone in the theater. The host and the other contestants joined in eventually. I ended up winning a bottle of champagne, a medal(plastic), and a ship on a stick :D. It was a blast and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

You can play as teams. DH and I don't, as we are too competitive with each other. We also want our own ship on a stick, if we win.

No calling out, at least when we played on the Dream in January, everything was written on paper. One time a passerby yelled the answer out and everyone playing got mad. A new question was called, no problem. It is a fun thing to do on a sea day!

OOOOOO I love to play trivia onboard. It is definitely my favorite onboard activity. You can play as a team (usually no more than 4 players on a team) or play by yourself.

You write answers down on a sheet of paper and then when all the questions are done. The Carnival host will go over the answers.

Winners of trivia will win anything from a ship on a stick or a Carnival medal or even a bottle of Champagne.

On Fantasy in December they offered a variety of Trivia games:

Sound Clips; General Knowledge; Scattergories; Guess That Song; Food Trivia; Animal Trivia; TV; Slogan; Sports; Comic Strip, etc.

I like that you don't have to be mensa material to play. The few games that I participated in folks just wrote their answers on a sheet of paper and we scored them ourselves or traded sheets with another team to score. 'Team' might be 1 person or a number of folks. Carnival provides the pencils and paper.

(And no, I don't actually remember the different types of Trivia games - I just happened to have several Fun Times in front of me when I read your question :) ).

On my cruise they did classic rock trivia. They played song intros of a few seconds. One point each for title and artist. Other music trivia included 70's, 80's, Motown (which I won with a perfect score), commercial slogans, TV Theme songs. Such stuff. As a previous person stated it was very informal, pencil and paper. Score your own. Fun way to meet people if u enjoy trivia.

I've done trivia several ways. Once we made teams and those lasted several sessions. Once they took volunteers and did it like a game show. Several times, its more of an individual thing where you write down the answers and score yourself. (I've got 5 ships on a stick for trivia!)

June

you wriite the answers on paper ( the post above where they claimed to go on stage is "game show"). Tthen the answers are reviewed by exchanging the answer sheets.

unfortunately, the trivia has been taken over by cheats. many take advantage of going to the shows each time as carnival not only doesn't recycle jokes, they don't recycle the questions.

the answer to number 1 on the showtune trivia is captain kangaroo.

I love trivia (and have several "ships on a stick" as proof), but I can't understand why anyone would cheat to get a stupid plastic trophy. Having said that, I strongly suspect that occurred more than once on my recent cruise aboard the Ecstasy.

I know what you mean about recycling questions. Some nights, in lieu of live entertainment, there were a series of video trivia contests and games shows in the Sapphire Lounge. I had been there one night to play "Cartoon Character Trivia" hosted by one of the CD staff and the following night, I went to play "Movie Trivia" hosted by the Asst. CD, Gary, but he cued up "Cartoon Character Trivia". I assumed that people would call out that that trivia game had been played the previous night, but all was silent. Well, I had no desire to re-play any trivia game, so while Gary was waiting for more folks to come into the lounge, I walked up and told him that "Cartoon Character Trivia" had been played last night. He seemed somewhat peeved (why?) and said that they have lots of video trivia games and he didn't know what had been played before. (Doesn't he read the Fun Times?) I probably ticked off a lot of people who thought they were going to score 100% because they knew all the answers to "Cartoon Character Trivia".

Archived