Sitka Tenders

C1nnabar

Since it looks like there's one round trip leaving San Francisco to cruise Alaska and stopping at Sitka, I've signed up for it already, leaving May 30, 2013. (hurrah)

I wonder whether anyone here can tell me whether I'm likely to be delayed getting to the town, since it's a tendered port, and we're only scheduled to be there for 8 hours.

Thanks!

Since it looks like there's one round trip leaving San Francisco to cruise Alaska and stopping at Sitka, I've signed up for it already, leaving May 30, 2013. (hurrah)

I wonder whether anyone here can tell me whether I'm likely to be delayed getting to the town, since it's a tendered port, and we're only scheduled to be there for 8 hours.

Thanks!

When we tendered in Sitka there was another HAL ship there.

We did not have a delay getting to shore but there was a long line coming back onboard. Reminded me of Cabo/Grand Cayman. :eek:

But it wasn't that bad. Great little town, beautiful especially approaching the tender site when we first arrived.

For tendering, Princess gives priority to passengers on the ships tours, those traveling in suites and those who are Elite in the Captain's Circle. All other passengers are asked to come to a lounge and get numbered ticket. Th ePrincess Patter will have specifcs. They are accommodated as space is available in the tenders. It can take 60 to 90 minutes to clear the initial rush.

That was what I'd heard too. I was thinking of signing up for a tour (which I might have done anyway) just to be sure of being among the first to disembark. If I go the "get a ticket at a lounge" route, how early would you advise turning up there to be sure of getting into the first or second boat (assuming that elite/suite passengers don't fill it up!)?

That was what I'd heard too. I was thinking of signing up for a tour (which I might have done anyway) just to be sure of being among the first to disembark. If I go the "get a ticket at a lounge" route, how early would you advise turning up there to be sure of getting into the first or second boat (assuming that elite/suite passengers don't fill it up!)?

I suggest 30 minutes before the listed time. Your entire group must be together when you do this. One person cannot pick up tender tickets for people not actually with him/her.

Being on a Princess tour means you do not have to worry about getting a tender to shore. You meet up in the lounge and when the time comes they take you to the tender and on to your tour. It does not mean you will be on the first tender.

If you are getting a ticket, and want to be early, be on line when they start giving the tickets out. Often there is a tender before the tours start.

The Sea Otter Quest (Allen Marine) was probably one of the best tours we have taken with Princess. ;)

we took this tour, as well, and loved it. We saw bear along the shore, hundreds of otters, puffin, eagles, and magnificent scenery. I believe it was the 2nd tour of the day so we had time to walk around town, have lunch in a great brewery, and gradually made our way over to the dock to board the Sea Otter Tour. The captain of the tour kept us out long enough to bring us directly back to the ship so that we were able to avoid having to disembark at the dock and having to be tendered to the ship. Sitka was our favorite port.

we took this tour, as well, and loved it. We saw bear along the shore, hundreds of otters, puffin, eagles, and magnificent scenery. I believe it was the 2nd tour of the day so we had time to walk around town, have lunch in a great brewery, and gradually made our way over to the dock to board the Sea Otter Tour. The captain of the tour kept us out long enough to bring us directly back to the ship so that we were able to avoid having to disembark at the dock and having to be tendered to the ship. Sitka was our favorite port.

We took the later tour too. ;)

Allen Marine who is the ship contractor does do a good job. But it is superior to go out with an independent boat tour out of Sitka. Allen Marine does NOT always go to St. Lazaria Island, the puffin rookery and you have no input on route or wildlife you may want to see. It is also superior to on the water, which the independents bring you the closest to the wildlife with no issue getting a rail view.

Archived