Miami area hotels

Isklaar

We're considering a Seabourn cruise in December that departs from Fort Lauderdale. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Fort Lauderdale last year but had a couple of issues with it, and wouldn't stay there again. So the alternative is to stay in Miami.

We are currently looking at Miami Four Seasons and the Acqualina Resort at Sunny Isles. Can anyone recommend either of these or another hotel in the area of similar quality? Great service, a restful night's sleep and top-notch cleanliness are more important to us than hip decor etc.

(Asking here rather than on the Florida board as I think SB pax are more likely to understand our expectations of hotels).

Hye .. we usually stay at the Fort Lauderdale Hilton Resort .. a little father up the coast than the Ritz Carlton but the standard of suites is very good and the staff are excellent ..

Hope you have a great cruise ..

Allan

We're considering a Seabourn cruise in December that departs from Fort Lauderdale. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Fort Lauderdale last year but had a couple of issues with it, and wouldn't stay there again. So the alternative is to stay in Miami.

We are currently looking at Miami Four Seasons and the Acqualina Resort at Sunny Isles. Can anyone recommend either of these or another hotel in the area of similar quality? Great service, a restful night's sleep and top-notch cleanliness are more important to us than hip decor etc.

(Asking here rather than on the Florida board as I think SB pax are more likely to understand our expectations of hotels).

Isklaar: Acqualina is fine, and much closer to Port Everglades than the Four Seasons in downtown Miami.Acqualina is directly on the ocean, so get you a sense of the "tropics", and unless you hit a convention--which can happen anywhere in such hotels--is a bit quieter than the FS

You might check out the Marriott Hollywood Beach. We stayed there a year or so ago for one night. Very nice, and maybe not quite as expensive as some other properties. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale airport, and it was an easy cab drive south to the hotel. It sits across the walkway from the beach. The restaurant and swimming pool are about 15 feet from the sand. Room was fine and service good. Our ship left from Miami, so we had to proceed much further south the next day but from this hotel to a ship in Ft. Lauderdale would be an easy drive.

Thanks everyone.

I forgot to mention that we're flying into MIA this time, so no need to go up to FLL till cruise day. :D

I'm leaning towards Acqualina. The only thing putting me off is the possibility of bad weather. I am an ignorant European who thought Florida was hot all year round. Last year in December, pre-cruise it was perfect with temps in the low 80's. However when we got back to FLL in early January it was 50 degrees with a chill wind like the worst of our winters here! If I knew beach weather was guaranteed Acqualina would be a no-brainer. I guess we can hire a car if the weather is disappointing and do some touring.

Thanks everyone.

I forgot to mention that we're flying into MIA this time, so no need to go up to FLL till cruise day. :D

I'm leaning towards Acqualina. The only thing putting me off is the possibility of bad weather. I am an ignorant European who thought Florida was hot all year round. Last year in December, pre-cruise it was perfect with temps in the low 80's. However when we got back to FLL in early January it was 50 degrees with a chill wind like the worst of our winters here! If I knew beach weather was guaranteed Acqualina would be a no-brainer. I guess we can hire a car if the weather is disappointing and do some touring.

My wife and I have stayed in Miami four times over the past few years prior to our cruises. We were there in December and other times very early January.

The weather can vary. We have experienced it all. The norm is highs in the 70's (Fahrenheit) that time of year. It could be warmer, the same or cooler. Prior to our 2010 Cruise we were there for a six night pre cruise stay and each day it good cooler and cooler with lows in the 30's.

We love Miami.

Sorry I am late arriving to this thread but I wanted to add some hotel recommendations.

We often stay at the Four Seasons. It's a beautiful hotel, rooms were redone last year, service is great and we like the location. It is in the business district and that suits us fine. We like to walk so getting to other areas is easy. About a ten minute walk from the hotel is a lot of nice restaurants. You can take a cab to South Beach and get there in 30 minutes.

Another nice hotel is the Mandarin Oriental. It sits on a little island but is a five minute walk over a bridge that has a nice pedestrian walkway. It is just a low standing bridge. Very nice hotel. Even has a man made beach area.

If you want to be where there is more nightlife there is the Ritz Carlton in South Beach. The rooms were/are being renovated this year and will all be complete prior to your stay.

We prefer Miami over Fort Lauderdale. I wouldn't have said that before we started staying there again a few years ago because of our observations many years ago but it has made a very nice transformation. It is very cosmopolitan and gets better with each passing year.

Keith

Try the Holiday Inn port of Miami great suites on the 11 floor, 611,711 811 911, and it is right across the street of Bayside Market place. Laugh if you want but it is a great place and this is comming from a high end cruiser.

Archived