Where are the bears????

DesertPesce7751

We just got back. Rented a car in Skagway and drove the Klondike highway up into the Yukon. Saw 6 bears, 2 mountain goats and numerous eagles. The bears were all right along the highway, within 15-20 yards of the car.

See, now I want to see a GOAT and a BEAR! Look what you've done!:)

We just got back. Rented a car in Skagway and drove the Klondike highway up into the Yukon. Saw 6 bears, 2 mountain goats and numerous eagles. The bears were all right along the highway, within 15-20 yards of the car.

Frank, that's what we did too. We only saw the one bear that day but he was within a couple yards from the car. I rolled down the window and made a picture of him. When we turned our car in that day in Skagway a man was there with his son and they had seen several bears - one was with cubs. That wasn't you by any chance was it? :)

Both bears we saw next to the rode were eating dandelions.

Saw a couple of rather bored looking bears on the train at Skagway. Lots of bald eagles, a few mountain goats, and that's it.

For a very entertaining wildlife adventure from the comfort of your own balcony, visit the buffet before Victoria, BC, stock up on bread rolls, and wait for seagulls. Last week the Star Princess recreated the scene from "The Birds" movie :eek:

We just went on a cruise 6/8 and while in Icy Strait Point, we went on an excursion with Keith and Killian at Teckk Outfitters. I think they said this is where there are the most brown bears per square mile in Alaska. We saw four brown bears and the tour guide was so entertaining I think we would have been ok if we didn't see a bear! They made our excursion over the top! They took us into the outback where I don't think the other tours went. It was really awesome! Definitely a highlight of our entire trip.

We also saw three black bears in different places while on the Alaska Railroad from Seward to Anchorage. Someone saw a moose, beaver and I saw eagles and Dall Sheep. Highly recommend this train ride as well!

We just went on a cruise 6/8 and while in Icy Strait Point, we went on an excursion with Keith and Killian at Teckk Outfitters. I think they said this is where there are the most brown bears per square mile in Alaska. We saw four brown bears and the tour guide was so entertaining I think we would have been ok if we didn't see a bear! They made our excursion over the top! They took us into the outback where I don't think the other tours went. It was really awesome! Definitely a highlight of our entire trip.

We also saw three black bears in different places while on the Alaska Railroad from Seward to Anchorage. Someone saw a moose, beaver and I saw eagles and Dall Sheep. Highly recommend this train ride as well!

Bbmom7, we saw the black bears on the train ride too. We didn't see the Dall Sheep which I hoped we would see. Great train ride.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/Tenn4ever/Alaska%20Album%202/Alaska2405.jpg

Can you imagine removing a 6 foot, 280 lb seal, which could easily remove your fingers in a single bite, and has become tangled in your fish net. Yes, they do get shot.

:( Still sad........They look alot samller from the ship.....:)

If you get to Haines in September and have a rental car, look for bears along the Chilcoot River.

Here is a video of them that someone posted

When they are there, you get great close-up viewing and its free!

The road runs parallel to the river.

Remember the old advice: you don't have to be fast enough to outrun the bears; only fast enough to outrun the slowest member of your party. :D

When we saw them, they were much more interested in the salmon than in the tourists. Undoubtedly much tastier.

Archived