Where are the bears????

DesertPesce7751

This was our 4th cruise to Alaska and we still have yet to see a bear. We would also love to see more of the other wildlife. We've become pros at spotting Eagles in the trees but want to "up our game."

Here's what we're doing differently so far for next year:

1. We are going August 5th instead of June or early July. We heard there are more bears out and about as the season progresses.

2. We are going on a smaller ship, Oceania Regatta in 2013. We heard that you actually see more sea life and get closer to land and glaciers on a smaller ship. (downsizing from the HAL Oosterdam and Celebrity Mercury & Infinity)

3. We're researching the best shore excursions (on and off the cruise line) to see wildlife, especially bears.

Number 3 is where you esteemed cruisers come in! Any thoughts? We're going to Ketchikan, Sitka, and Wrangell.

Take a bear watching excursion with an independent operator. I went to Anan Creek with Island Wings in late July last year and saw lots and lots of bears. We even encountered a momma with her cub while walking to the viewing platform. :eek: It was the highlight of my cruise last year.

Seeing bears from cruise ships, large or small, is a crap shoot. Some may see several on a cruise but most see none. In August you should have more chance of seeing one, I would be watching the shoreline for the mouth of a creek or river and you may just see one as they are feeding on returning salmon. Occasionally you will see one on a beach feeding a seal that has been caught in a fish net, been shot by a commercial fisherman and has washed ashore.

Take a bear watching excursion with an independent operator. I went to Anan Creek with Island Wings in late July last year and saw lots and lots of bears. We even encountered a momma with her cub while walking to the viewing platform. :eek: It was the highlight of my cruise last year.

Partly this but also partly do a land tour before/after the cruise. Very easy to see bears - Anan Creek, Pack Creek, Traitors Cove, Neets Bay, Denali NP, Katmai NP, Lake Clark NP and more. Just a matter of time and usually money.

There are plenty of ways to almost guarantee (I said almost) bear sightings. The trick is to research based on time of year. They tend to move based on what time of year it is because of the salmon run and other food sources.

If your just hiking and wandering around, it will definately be a crap shoot. If your serious about seeing bears, take a pre/post cruise bear viewing day trip or a specific bear viewing excursion in one of the ports.

Bears seem to be plentiful, but you have to know where to go. The tour operators live in the area so they are able to track the bears movements over time and get you to where the bears are at the time you are visiting.

We saw several black bears the first week of June. We saw one while driving on the Klondike Highway north of Skagway. He was right next to the car. We also saw one next to the car while driving back from the Auke Bay Recreation area on the Glacier Highway (Hwy 7) north of Juneau. We didn't take excursions but rented cars both places. Also, we saw several bears while on the Coastal Classic Train (Alaska Railroad) between Seward and Anchorage but they weren't very close.

Here's the one on the Klondike Highway - north of Skagway.

th_Alaska2153.jpg

Juneau - Highway 7

th_Alaska2256.jpg

Varied wildlife is seen on independent boat tours out of Sitka.

In August, any of the fly in bear tours are peak. Tours, are "necessary" in my opinion.

I too, suggest, since you've gone to Alaska 4 times- get to Denali Park- jackpot for wildlife. Go independent, so to make multiple trips in. Also go on a boat tour to Kenai Fjords, at least 6 hours on the water- varied wildlife.

We saw no bears on our water tour in Sitka, but did see a little wildlife, but nothing like others have experienced. We saw LOTS of eagles. That was the highlight that day.

With your ports, it seems like Ketchikan is your best bet. As mentioned above, research the peak times for bears and take a fly in tour.

Frankly, I was not impressed with the bear viewing in Denali. I know it is mentioned often, but we just saw a few bear on the hillside in the distance. Nothing like you will get with a fly in tour to a stream/river where the bear are catching salmon.

Seeing bears from cruise ships, large or small, is a crap shoot. Some may see several on a cruise but most see none. In August you should have more chance of seeing one, I would be watching the shoreline for the mouth of a creek or river and you may just see one as they are feeding on returning salmon. Occasionally you will see one on a beach feeding a seal that has been caught in a fish net, been shot by a commercial fisherman and has washed ashore.

Those new-fangled vegan bears? They eat salmon berries wrapped in Sitka Spruce leaves, eh?

Anan creek (from Wrangell) sounds like a really solid option for bears!

Anyone else see marked increases in wildlife in August instead of June?

In my 4 trips to Alaska, I have seen one bear, at the Rainforest Sanctuary in Ketchikan, and one tiny, dark, moving spot on the shoreline while leaving Glacier Bay which may or may not have been a bear. Honestly, I see them more often at home. But I have never done a specific bear watching excursion, just figure it's cool if I see one and I'm not disappointed if I don't.

45939_1575878074340_7709805_n.jpg

Those new-fangled vegan bears? They eat salmon berries wrapped in Sitka Spruce leaves, eh?

You can't fool me, Sitka Spruce don't have leaves but you could wrap their needles and the salmon berries in alder leaves ..... hey, maybe we could get the franchise.:D

. Honestly, I see them more often at home. But I have never done a specific bear watching excursion, just figure it's cool if I see one and I'm not disappointed if I don't.

I agree in fact we have dozens of them on our golf course all spring, summer and fall and once it stops raining today I need to go out and shovel two piles of bear scat off our back lawn....and I always thought they only did that in the woods.:)

I'm really surprised that no one suggested Wrangell. It's one of the few places that offers excellent bear viewing via boat, rather than plane. See, for example:

http://www.breakawayadventures.com/anan.htm

I did Anan w Breakaway last year. It was such a good experience that I am doing it again this year.

Actually, I did 3 trips w Breakaway last year - Anan, Stikine and LeConte. Their owner Eric is a really great guy.

The only problem is that Wrangell is a bit of a pain to get to. We are flying to Wrangell this year from Denver and with multiple flights and airport waits, it is almost a full day to get there.

FYI - we are staying at the Grandview B&B again this year. It is a wonderful place to stay.

DON

OMG they do that???? How horrible? Shooting seals????

Two things. First of all, bears do eat berries. One of the biggest dangers in picking berries in the fall is running into one or more bears.

Second, I have been up here for 36 years and wherever I go, I am always thinks that I really don't want to see any bears...(I have seen many over the years).

Perhaps it is just me.

Two things. First of all, bears do eat berries. One of the biggest dangers in picking berries in the fall is running into one or more bears.

Second, I have been up here for 36 years and wherever I go, I am always thinks that I really don't want to see any bears...(I have seen many over the years).

Perhaps it is just me.

Yes, it is just you. ;)

If bears could subsist on berries, that would be horrible! I'd never get to see one eating a salmon in the creek! What I said, using the word "vegan" was a joke about the bears abstaining from fish and only eating non-animal matter (like a vegan human might). Thankfully, the bears are omnivores just like us!

;)

Yes, it is just you. ;)

If bears could subsist on berries, that would be horrible! I'd never get to see one eating a salmon in the creek! What I said, using the word "vegan" was a joke about the bears abstaining from fish and only eating non-animal matter (like a vegan human might). Thankfully, the bears are omnivores just like us!

;)

Well, bears do eat a lot of stuff-including garbage, which can be a real problem....

As for seeing them eating salmon in a creek, you just have to find the right creek. ;)

OMG they do that???? How horrible? Shooting seals????

Can you imagine removing a 6 foot, 280 lb seal, which could easily remove your fingers in a single bite, and has become tangled in your fish net. Yes, they do get shot.

Yes, it is just you. ;)

;)

Sorry you are only half right. Many bears that are not coastal bears have a much higher diet of berries and vegetation. A great example is in Denali NP. no fish there for the bears to feast on.

On Budget Queen's advice, and the several positive reviews of the company I'd read, we just booked a flightseeing/bearwatch tour with Island Wings for August 20 out of Ketchikan. That late in August they will take us to Traitor's Cove, earlier in the season they go to Anan. An alternative was booking through the ship to Neets Bay (not sure which company). I'll be sure to post a trip report when we return and let you know if we have any sightings.

On Budget Queen's advice, and the several positive reviews of the company I'd read, we just booked a flightseeing/bearwatch tour with Island Wings for August 20 out of Ketchikan. That late in August they will take us to Traitor's Cove, earlier in the season they go to Anan. An alternative was booking through the ship to Neets Bay (not sure which company). I'll be sure to post a trip report when we return and let you know if we have any sightings.

Splendid! You'll have to let us know what you saw when you return. When are you traveling? August?

We just got back. Rented a car in Skagway and drove the Klondike highway up into the Yukon. Saw 6 bears, 2 mountain goats and numerous eagles. The bears were all right along the highway, within 15-20 yards of the car.

Archived