2 week cruise to Alaska

bandgbasset

I suggest booking two one way cruises.. But for the best options, use two different cruiselines. and both Alaska ports. :)

I am taking my teenage nephews to Alaska, doing this with an overnight in Seward. Packing in two boat tours in between..

It seems "everone" is disheartened that HAL's 14 day cruise won't exist any longer............I wonder why?:confused:

It was fantastic and brought people to ports that need more tourists as well. I LOVED that cruie and am taking a "cruise virgin" to AK next summer; this was my cruise of choice................darn.

I suggest booking two one way cruises.. But for the best options, use two different cruiselines. and both Alaska ports. :)

I am taking my teenage nephews to Alaska, doing this with an overnight in Seward. Packing in two boat tours in between..

That sounds wonderful. Would you mind giving an example?

Hello:

We are planning on traveling to Alaska in 2013. Does anyone know of any 2 week cruises? I know Hal has one this year that will be discontinued after this year.

Thanks for your help.

You could take a 1 week up and then go port hopping on the Alaska ferry system. This takes a bit of planning and you may need to stay at places longer than you want because of ferry schedules but the ferries are a really neat way to travel around Alaska.

DON

Thank you for your replies. I also think budget queen's idea sounds wonderful, but I also would like an example about 2 ports and different cruise lines.

Thanks again

Gerry

You could do the Northbound with Princess that starts in Vancouver & ends in Whittier, visiting Glacier Bay & College Fjords and then take a Southbound out of Seward with one of the other lines that visits Hubbard Glacier & Icy Strait Point. You would have 3 repeated ports - Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan, but maybe you could do one of their most popular excursions one time you're there and the other time just walk around town (i.e. In Skagway take the White Pass Railroad one time and walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery & lower Reid falls the other time). I've been to these ports 2-3 times each and have found something different to do each time.

As an example, I am taking Princess north- to Whittier. I'm going on a PWS boat tour, and being picked up for a direct tranfer to Seward- late night stop at the Showcase for halibut. :)

Overnight at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward. Next day, taking a Kenai Fjords boat tour, then getting on a HAL southbound ship.

You might want to look at Princess NB and then RCL or Celebrity Southbound. This way you can get Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, and College Fjords. The NB Princess also has enough time in Juneau to do the all-day Tracy Arm excursion. On the SB you would have plenty of time in Juneau to take in the rest of what Juneau has to offer. This plan allows you to see the four prime scenic sailing areas from a cruiseship. RCL and Celebrity include a stop at Icy Strait, which is not included on the NB Princess. Although you won't get to Kodiak and Homer like this year's 14 day cruise, the option I presented gives you some awesome scenic sailings as well as the opportunity to explore the ports more thoroughly. When you are only in port for a few hours, there is so much you won't have time for.

The "problem" with this scenario is you have to take the transfer from Whittier to Seward that Budget Queen mentioned. Some may consider this too costly. On the other hand, like BQ, you could take in the Prince William sound boat tour in Whittier before heading to Seward. This is well worth it in my mind.

Archived