Child Proofing Cabin Doors

sparkysj

We will be going on a cruise this fall and our youngest will be 4 (this is her 3rd cruise) and since she is really good at opening (and unlocking) doors now we are a little concerned and are looking for any ideas from others of how to secure the cabin door? They don't have chains like a hotel room and I don't think there are any door knob covers that would fit. Thank you.

doors are extremly heavy for him to open lock will be higher just watch where his fingers are when you close the door espcially balcony door

its not a door knob but a handle

We will be going on a cruise this fall and our youngest will be 4 (this is her 3rd cruise) and since she is really good at opening (and unlocking) doors now we are a little concerned and are looking for any ideas from others of how to secure the cabin door? They don't have chains like a hotel room and I don't think there are any door knob covers that would fit. Thank you.

Unfortunately, I have learned from experience it is very easy for a 3 year old to open the door and get out of the cabin in the middle of the night. When our granddaughter was 3 she did this on our Carnival cruise. The Mrs. and I unfortunately slept through it until security was in our room with her. I guess when she went out she didn't shut the door tight and she had a tube of my wifes mascara and was decorating the hall beside our door.

After that night, we got all of our luggage out and tried to barricade the door. Actually, that did work because her trying to move the luggage the next night woke me up.

After that we resorted to her sleeping in bed with us, on the side farthest from the door.

Good luck and I hope you don't encounter the experiences we did. I emailed Carnival after that and suggested chains for the doors.

the doors to the balcony are REALLY heavy... on our last cruise in feb, my seven year old (who is pretty strong for her age... competition gymnast) had trouble getting the balcony door open.

the door to the cabin i **believe** has a lock... other than putting the chair in front of it though, blocking it is going to be difficult... it might be a good idea to bring a string of bells or something to put on the door knob on the inside that will alert you if she tries to escape.

My son sleepwalks. On a trip a few years ago, he walked out of our hotel room and the door shut behind him. In the moment it took for DH to wake up and process what he had heard, a nice older lady walked by in the hall and was just asking DS if he knew which room was his when my husband opened the door. Since then, we always put a suitcase in front of the door or a chair. We used the chair on the cruise, but he never got up. He's not trying to escape though, he's actually trying to find me and gets disoriented. So, if they are trying to get out, that might be a bit more complicated.

Unfortunately, I have learned from experience it is very easy for a 3 year old to open the door and get out of the cabin in the middle of the night. When our granddaughter was 3 she did this on our Carnival cruise. The Mrs. and I unfortunately slept through it until security was in our room with her. I guess when she went out she didn't shut the door tight and she had a tube of my wifes mascara and was decorating the hall beside our door.

After that night, we got all of our luggage out and tried to barricade the door. Actually, that did work because her trying to move the luggage the next night woke me up.

After that we resorted to her sleeping in bed with us, on the side farthest from the door.

Good luck and I hope you don't encounter the experiences we did. I emailed Carnival after that and suggested chains for the doors.

Shame, you cramped her (artistic) style, bless her soul. Actually maybe her art was an improvement on some of the "art" on the Carnival ships :D.

the doors to the balcony are REALLY heavy... on our last cruise in feb, my seven year old (who is pretty strong for her age... competition gymnast) had trouble getting the balcony door open.

the door to the cabin i **believe** has a lock... other than putting the chair in front of it though, blocking it is going to be difficult... it might be a good idea to bring a string of bells or something to put on the door knob on the inside that will alert you if she tries to escape.

On the 2 Carnival ships I have been on, I seem to recall the latches on the balcony doors were high up. Perhaps this might be the same on all Carnival ships. I agree these doors are heavy.

On the passage/cabin door how about kicking the door wedge (door stopper) in under the door at night? Isn't there a wedge in each cabin. If you wedge it hard enough then their little fingers may find it difficult to pull it out. As adults most of us would know to slightly lift and pull hard on the door to open in the morning - thereby dislodging the wedge's grip on the carpet.

Shame, you cramped her (artistic) style, bless her soul. Actually maybe her art was an improvement on some of the "art" on the Carnival ships :D.

LOL she had quite a "mural." I told security if they would have someone to get me cleaning stuff I'd be happy to clean it, I was absolutely mortified. They told me it was ok, theyd have someone else do it.

I do agree with I think the doors are heavy, I have no idea how she was even able to open it, but trust me she did on more than once. In the morning when we'd tell her it was time for breakfast and Camp Carnival she was the first one out the door.

I think the wedge under the door is a great idea! We have never had any problems with the kids sleeping ...... seems lke as soon as their head hits the pillow, they are out like a light never to wake up until we wake them up the next day. There's just something about he rocking of the ship that puts them into a sound sleep.

Thank you all!! I should have been a little clearer (sorry!) I did mean the door going into the hall ways and not balcony. I would worry like crazy w/a balcony! Our daughter has figured out how to unlock doors at home and I know the door going to hall wouldn't be too heavy. I think to be on the safe side I will not only take a wedge but also get a door alarm so thank you all!!

Thank you all!! I should have been a little clearer (sorry!) I did mean the door going into the hall ways and not balcony. I would worry like crazy w/a balcony! Our daughter has figured out how to unlock doors at home and I know the door going to hall wouldn't be too heavy. I think to be on the safe side I will not only take a wedge but also get a door alarm so thank you all!!

the balcony door lock is located all the way at the top. In order for her to open that lock she will need to drag the chair over to the door. Because of the way the beds are the chair will not fit through that area and she will need to hold that chair over her head to get it past the beds.

as for a wedge.. when the hall door is closed that wedge will not fit under the door. There is a little lip that that will not let that wedge fit under the door

Archived