Wi-Fi and Android Phones

paulbjr

Just a quick heads-up regarding smart phone use on Regent.

With all of my research and feedback here I wasn't prepared for the fact the the ONLY thing that a smart phone can do with a Wi-fi connection on Regent is web browsing.

Not only is making phone calls blocked but all of my phones apps were blocked as well. I couldn't even update weather and timezone!

I discovered (too late) that I couldn't even change my mind and make the expensive cell phone calls directly through the ship because (on T-Mobile at least) you need to enable international roaming before leaving the USA.

Please note, that i'm not posting this to complain about Regent. I just want folks to know what they are facing.

Paul

P.S. Our recent Rome to Istanbul cruise was wonderful.

I have the Droid Razr Maxx and am operating on the new ICS operating system which now make this phone Global. Which Android phone are you using.

Just a quick heads-up regarding smart phone use on Regent.

With all of my research and feedback here I wasn't prepared for the fact the the ONLY thing that a smart phone can do with a Wi-fi connection on Regent is web browsing.

Not only is making phone calls blocked but all of my phones apps were blocked as well. I couldn't even update weather and timezone!

I discovered (too late) that I couldn't even change my mind and make the expensive cell phone calls directly through the ship because (on T-Mobile at least) you need to enable international roaming before leaving the USA.

Please note, that i'm not posting this to complain about Regent. I just want folks to know what they are facing.

Paul

P.S. Our recent Rome to Istanbul cruise was wonderful.

I have the Droid Razr Maxx and am operating on the new ICS operating system which now make this phone Global. Which Android phone are you using.

I have the Verizon droid Razr Maxx. So this update makes the phone able to use global? ICS which means? Sorry not very smart on the update stuff. We are on a cruise in August overseas and was planning to leave my phone at home.

I think they're saying applications like Skype were blocked, which is common on most cruiselines. It takes up a high amount of bandwith.

I'm not sure how they were going to update their time and weather though without wireless data. You can't use GPS applications over standard wi-fi since it has no way to locate you.

Paul,

I have the Razr Maxx too (Verizon), and I was unaware that the ICS upgrade was out yet for this phone. I did get the upgrade for my Xoom. Anyway, I am going on my cruise in a few weeks and I decided to take my OLD Droid phone (Droid 2 Global) instead of my Raxr Maxx....which I love. I was told the Razr Maxx would not work overseas. Please let me know what you know about this.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a Droid Razr Maxx. I am so happy because I called Verizon and confirmed that this phone will now work globally after downloading ICS. So, I just completed the download...leaving for Paris and Stockholm for one week before boarding our Baltic cruise on July 22. So glad I will be able to use this phone!!! Verizon has a great global plan for data usage.

On my last cruise, I got a global phone from Verizon. $19.99 to rent and returned it via Fed Ex. I was able to use it both in port and onboard. I too have a Droid and Zoom; The phone was a Motorola and I was very pleased to have it while touring and to use my home cell number. Anything else I needed to do onboard I could use unlimited wifi via my Zoom with no problem.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a Droid Razr Maxx. I am so happy because I called Verizon and confirmed that this phone will now work globally after downloading ICS. So, I just completed the download...leaving for Paris and Stockholm for one week before boarding our Baltic cruise on July 22. So glad I will be able to use this phone!!! Verizon has a great global plan for data usage.

Yes I was able to download ICS and love that my phone now works global. We leave for UK next month and will call Verizon and get the global plan. Thanks for reminder about calling Verizon.

Yes, seriously. Thanks for the comment.

I think the seriously comment was meant for the definition of ICS = ice cream sandwich - i.e. not a joke. Not meant as a commentary on your asking for a definition...

I think the seriously comment was meant for the definition of ICS = ice cream sandwich - i.e. not a joke. Not meant as a commentary on your asking for a definition...

Makes me feel better. Thank you.

We came back a couple of weeks ago from Mariner trip - I have Motorola Droid 2 Global and it worked fine - I did call Verizon first - they had to enable my Sim card for Europe. I paid $25.00 for a global data plan which ended up being more than sufficient. Calls from ship for $2.49 per minute but in port only $.99 per minute. Texting was also available and we used it on ship.

jstroose1 - I used my Motorola Droid 2 Global last year and it worked perfectly, but I have since upgraded (with Verizon) to the Droid Motorola Razr Maxx. Pleased to know that it will now work globally on my upcoming cruise. As you mentioned, you must call Verizon before you leave to add the global data plan. The price for data usage is actually less than it was last year.

Archived