Parking on Manhattan Pier

Mark

Hi

We are sailing on Veenedam and plan on parking on top of the pier for the cruise. Can someone tell us what to expect and how to do it? I mean do you drop off your luggage before you go up the ramp and park on the pier or do you park on the park on top of the pier and then have to haul all your luggage down on the elevator to where the longshoremen are to take it on the ship? Please advise...Thanks

Last year, we were directed to park first, then had to haul our own luggage downstairs to the pier for drop off.

If I decided to drop off luggage first, I would have had to exit the pier, turn around on the street, and drive back in and head up to parking, due to the way the pier is designed.

Last year for us, there were longshoreman on the roof, you did have to bring the bags to them by the elevator but that is as "far" as you had to haul them.

If you do drop you bags first you have to circle around back up north on 12th Ave to the parking entrance and there will be traffic.

You might want to go east to 10th Ave to go north to West 55th, be in the left lane on 55th when you get to 12th to go straight an left to the parking entrance.

Just received an email from the manager of the piers in Manhattan...he tells me if you are going to park on the roof (3rd level) you must drive right up onto the roof and cannot drop off passengers or luggage...if you do, then you must exit the pier complex...go back in traffic and then turn around and re-enter the pier to park!

Play-by-play of our experience last October (this was for the NCL Gem, but going to assume procedure is similar for the Veendam):

-Drive up ramp to the rooftop parking lot;

-Stop and pay for parking at top;

-Drive up a few feet and stop for sniffer-dog inspection;

-Pull over and let MamaTwick off with luggage;

-Parked;

-Walked over and went down large industrial elevator with MT and luggage in tow;

-Handed over luggage at lower level;

-Went in line to check in.

The whole operation was easy and seamless.

Archived