One complimentary drink only...an end to complimentary drinks on flights?

MrsBB

'One complimentary drink, either a glass of wine, a beer or a soft drink is included in your flight. Tap water is available free of charge on request...'

This has suddenly appeared under our flights on the cruise personaliser. A new P&O rule?

Just a bit, especially as they are now charging £249 pp for a return flight for premium economy for 2013 fly cruises.

A lot of this is air passenger duty which is £162 for premium compared to £81 for others

Brian

That does make it a bit more understandable.

I am tempted to book for myself and my other half, just purely because I am assuming premium will be less crowded and it may be a nice treat.

I'm getting the impression you can now upgrade at any time via the flight desk helpline but can only specify seats 3 months before on cruise personaliser? Is this correct?

It actually makes the upgrade seem reasonable, when you put it like that Brian.

Free drinks, and a potentially less bustle.... I'll have to see how far the purse strings will stretch :)

Which airline does this rule apply to? I am going on the Azura transatlantic in March and my travel summary says I am due to fly with Virgin.

It applies to P&O charter flights which are usually either Thomson or Thomas Cook

Brian

The complimentary drinks still apply to those who have booked premium seats. On my Cruise Personaliser it states that complimentary drinks are offered throughout the flight - apart from Champagne. If someone is thinking of upgrading then don't wait too long. Premium seats tend to go quite quickly.

Just an observation really. I don't mind either way but would prefer to be informed.

Not everyone uses complimentary drinks to get drunk though I do understand there may be a few who do. Personally, I was just glad to spot it so I wasn't ill prepared.

I do like the idea of upgrading as we will be travelling to our wedding destination and it might be nice to be spoiled a little. However at £500 extra I'm not sure it's very good value for money.

'One complimentary drink, either a glass of wine, a beer or a soft drink is included in your flight. Tap water is available free of charge on request...'

This has suddenly appeared under our flights on the cruise personaliser. A new P&O rule?

So no more complimentary G&Ts before lunch then. Penny pinching indeed! I can understand a decision not to offer complimentary alcohol throughout the flight as this can sometimes lead to abuse - although if it is still available in premium it would appear that this is not the reason for the apparent change in policy. If you fly economy with a line like BA however, you are offered an aperatif before lunch/dinner and another drink with it. Where will P&O penny pinch next?

Archived