Denied boarding! Canadian living in U.S must provide Green Card?

It is the passenger's responsibility to have all required documents and/or necessary visas. ALL cruise lines have a disclaimer to that effect. You should never trust a cruise line rep - or even travel boards such as this - for the correct information. (I wouldn't even trust a TA.) Call the proper agency, consulate, etc. And I'm with the other's who wonder why she didn't bring it - I would think it's in her wallet - it definitely should be!

My ex is a Brit. Although we never cruised together, he certainly had his Green Card with him AT ALL TIMES. It was in his wallet with his driver's license.

I'm rather surprised that someone who holds a Green Card wouldn't be aware that it was needed to re-enter the country.

For all we know, she simply called Carnival and said she was Canadian. Just because her FunPass had her US address doesn't really mean anything.

Although one may ask a TA or cruiseline employee what is needed, I certainly would make sure that I found out from the US Govt what was needed!

I would never rely on Carnival to give me the info needed. Sure, it would be nice, but they can't even give accurate info about deck plans and cabins!

i think carrying your Green Card..is what the Media Calling "showing your papers"

the Supreme Court just ruled that..at least for Mexicans..Hispanics (racial profiling dangers) they cannot be required to show "papers' to even police officers.

However Americans..must still show "papers"...i.e. driver's license....insurance card....

One would think that Canadians would not be treated differently from Mexican...considering our long peaceful border. I would check on that. Carnival might owe you an apology.....after the Surpreme Court ruling on Arizonia. They were most sympathetic to the plight of undocumented people in the USA.

Suggest that you go to law school because that is not at all what that decision says.

Agree with other posters that say she must have her green card on her at all times while living in the US. She needs to just keep it in the same place as her driver's license. We live near the Canadian border and know what is needed to cross the border, and have more than enough documentation than is actually needed. Better be safe than sorry.

All I can picture is this poor lady waving goodbye to her family as she was left behind, too sad. Hope someday she gets rewarded with the vacation of lifetime!

I don't have to deal with green cards, but as a non citizen, the green card is the norm, isn't it? Can't blame Carnival when a person should be aware of his/her non citizenship needs, especially with travel. I would have brought the card..."just in case". Better to have the extra than be turned away. How much room does a green card take up?

My question to the OP, is why would you travel anywhere without your "green card". That is you authorization to be in the US, and to reenter if you leave.

Like.

It still amazes me why people spend so much money to book a cruise, and then tempt fate by not bringing the right documentation to get on the ship.

There have been stories of people trying to get on ships with unofficial versions of birth certificates, with only their drivers licence, and now this with a person not bringing their official green card.

I'm sorry but I cant sympathize with these people. They need to get a dose of reality of not getting on a ship to get them to understand how the real world works.

Like.

It still amazes me why people spend so much money to book a cruise, and then tempt fate by not bringing the right documentation to get on the ship.

There have been stories of people trying to get on ships with unofficial versions of birth certificates, with only their drivers licence, and now this with a person not bringing their official green card.

I'm sorry but I cant sympathize with these people. They need to get a dose of reality of not getting on a ship to get them to understand how the real world works.

At least in this case the passenger did try to find out what documentation to bring, she just didn't ask the right question of the right person. I do have some sympathy for her, not a lot maybe because she still should have had the green card with her, but at least she didn't just show up hoping she had the right docs.

At least in this case the passenger did try to find out what documentation to bring, she just didn't ask the right question of the right person. I do have some sympathy for her, not a lot maybe because she still should have had the green card with her, but at least she didn't just show up hoping she had the right docs.

But my question is why a person asked the question to start with, and why a person followed wrong advice so easily?

But my question is why a person asked the question to start with, and why a person followed wrong advice so easily?

Because she wanted to make sure she had the right documentation? People ask that type of question all of the time. And not to put too fine a point on it but she didn't know it was wrong advice until she showed up at the pier. One would expect the CCL Reps to be able to answer routine questions in this regard (with the emphasis on routine). If she had asked "I am a Canadian citizen who is a lawful permanent resident of the US, what documents do I need" she probably would have received the right answer.

I was totally stressed out when DD's BF from England was coming over and sailing with us.

I just kept imaging us returning to port and him not being allowed back into the states because he didn't have proper documentation!

I even emailed his mother and asked her to check with the UK folks to be sure that what he had was sufficient for him to leave the US for a cruise and be able to get back in!

Turns out all he needed was a recent passport (because his had to have the chip in it).

But I researched everything I could find. No way was I going to rely on someone at Carnival. Their job is to sell and provide me a vacation. My job is to know what I need for that vacation so that I can it!

Because she wanted to make sure she had the right documentation? People ask that type of question all of the time. And not to put too fine a point on it but she didn't know it was wrong advice until she showed up at the pier. One would expect the CCL Reps to be able to answer routine questions in this regard (with the emphasis on routine). If she had asked "I am a Canadian citizen who is a lawful permanent resident of the US, what documents do I need" she probably would have received the right answer.

I believe the question of why she had to ask the question in the first place is because as a Green Card holder, she is required to have that card with her at all times.

You might expect that CCL reps to be able to answer routine questions, but often that's not the case. It's unfortunate as people rely on them for the information. They seem to routinely give out inaccurate information. A CCL rep told me I didn't need a letter from my DD's father to travel with DD to Mexico (this is a requirement of the Mexican government). I've also been told by a CCL rep that I needed a passport to fly between two American cities. I would never trust Carnival Customer Service to know what documentation I need.

OP, so sorry to hear that! That must have been devastating. :(

Unfortunately, checking with only Carnival was a mistake. You'd think they would have that information and give it consistently, but they don't. You really need to do your research. I had one Carnival customer service agent who was absolutely adamant that I needed a passport to fly from Portland, Oregon to Anchorage, Alaska. :rolleyes: When I traveled with my DD to Mexico, it wasn't Carnival that told me the Mexican government requires a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent. You just can't rely on Carnival to give you that kind of information and must do that research. It's a shame, and, again, so sorry for your cousin and her family.

If traveling on a cruise to Cozumel with a minor, you need a notarized letter from the non travelling parent? What if only one parent is listed on the birth certificate? What if one parent is deceased?

If traveling on a cruise to Cozumel with a minor, you need a notarized letter from the non travelling parent? What if only one parent is listed on the birth certificate? What if one parent is deceased?

Yes, you do need a notarized letter from the nontraveling parent--this is not a requirement of Carnival, but of the Mexcan government. I wasn't asked for the letter when I took DD on our last Mexican Riviera cruise, but if they had asked and I hadn't had it with me, we would have had to stay on the ship rather than going into port.

I did a Google search and found an article that says if there's only one parent on the BC, then that parent's authorization is all that's needed. If a parent is deceased, the article says the death certificate must be presented. If a parent has sole custody, they should bring documentation of that. If you Google "Mexico travel minor letter" it's the first link.

But, I wouldn't trust the article either, personally. I do more research than that. As a single mother, I travel with DD and always thoroughly research what documentation is needed.

Everyone with a green card is given the rules and regulations of being a green card holder. It shouldn't have come as a surprise this person would need their green card to leave the country regardless of whether or not they are going back to their passport holding country, especially given the fact they are required to carry it a ALL TIMES.

Side note : if you are a green card holder and only have your passport (from canada or a country not requiring a visa) show just your passport and don't say anything about you living in the US. Should you do this? LOL NO but well....

Side note : if you are a green card holder and only have your passport (from canada or a country not requiring a visa) show just your passport and don't say anything about you living in the US. Should you do this? LOL NO but well....

All well and good but when they are put into the system to get back into the states it will tell Customs that they are a lawful permanent resident, at which point they will be asked for their green card. If they don't have it then the fun begins.

Yes, you do need a notarized letter from the nontraveling parent--this is not a requirement of Carnival, but of the Mexcan government. I wasn't asked for the letter when I took DD on our last Mexican Riviera cruise, but if they had asked and I hadn't had it with me, we would have had to stay on the ship rather than going into port.

I did a Google search and found an article that says if there's only one parent on the BC, then that parent's authorization is all that's needed. If a parent is deceased, the article says the death certificate must be presented. If a parent has sole custody, they should bring documentation of that. If you Google "Mexico travel minor letter" it's the first link.

But, I wouldn't trust the article either, personally. I do more research than that. As a single mother, I travel with DD and always thoroughly research what documentation is needed.

If the parent is deceased do you need a death cert?

I am so sorry to hear this happen to your cousin! It's always easy to blame the cruiseline, and to be fair they did only provide the bare minimum of instructions when they knew better, but next time she'll know and there will not be this problem. :) Hopefully this does not prevent them from trying another cruise, even if it's not Carnival.

Travel papers are not the responsibility of the cruiselines. Securing the proper paperwork is the responsibility of the traveler, always. Check with the government not any travel service regarding documetation for travel.

Sorry your cousin had to miss her cruise.

i think carrying your Green Card..is what the Media Calling "showing your papers"

the Supreme Court just ruled that..at least for Mexicans..Hispanics (racial profiling dangers) they cannot be required to show "papers' to even police officers.

However Americans..must still show "papers"...i.e. driver's license....insurance card....

One would think that Canadians would not be treated differently from Mexican...considering our long peaceful border. I would check on that. Carnival might owe you an apology.....after the Surpreme Court ruling on Arizonia. They were most sympathetic to the plight of undocumented people in the USA.

Completely different scenario. The problem with the Canadian not having her "papers" is returning to the United States on the ship....and a Mexican returning to the United States would have to show "papers" as well (through legal channels here - not talking about coming across the border illegally and then in the US when asked for papers). Carnival is required to ensure everyone on the ship has the proper documentation to re-enter the US. She had a US address with a Canadian passport - she needed her green card.

How did fed ex send her passport to Uruguay when she knew she needed it for boarding?

I wondered the same thing....I thought she had her passport with her and it was her green card that was at home in California. Maybe it was a typo by the OP? And I have heard of people faxing copies of birth certificates to the cruise line - wonder why someone couldn't have faxed the green card?

I wondered the same thing....I thought she had her passport with her and it was her green card that was at home in California. Maybe it was a typo by the OP? And I have heard of people faxing copies of birth certificates to the cruise line - wonder why someone couldn't have faxed the green card?

I am sure CBP would want the actual card upon re-entry.

I am sure CBP would want the actual card upon re-entry.

But she's not going back into Canada - she lives in the US. And with that logic, why would a faxed copy of a birth certificate work (I am not trying to be argumentative...I really am puzzled on this )

Archived