Administration Fees = Paying for simple customer service.

saturnsc

I had to come and vent where people understand.

I recently booked a cruise on carnival's site for my partner and myself. This will be my 6th cruise with carnival corp., 5 on carnival and 1 on princess. Upon booking, when I tried to enter my partner's past guest number the system would reject it saying that the information doesn't match up. So I completed the booking then emailed customer service.

Their first reply stated that they couldn't help me because I booked through a travel agent. I replied and explained that I booked on their website. The second reply stated that the system shows my partners name as Michael and that I entered Clay. Both of which are correct, let me explain. He goes by "Clay" but his official name is "Michael Clay". The agent then wrote on to explain to me that she couldn't add the past guest number without doing a name change which will cost $50 but after that the past guest number can be added to the booking.

Immediately I thought, "this is like having to pay the clerk at the grocery store to ring me up!" How absurd! And I replied back to the agent with my disgust. Is Carnival kidding with this? It's a simple customer service request, nothing more and nothing less. Why do I have to pay $50 addl dollars on top of my booking, on top of the thousands I've spent with this company over the years, on top of non cruisers that I have brought to carnival, for simple customer service?

How long after you made the booking did you email Carnival? Usually if you notify them of a mistake in a name within 24-48 hrs of making the booking, they'll make the correction free of charge. Instead of emailing Carnival, I would suggest calling them on the phone.

Also, keep in mind that regardless of what name your partner goes by, it is required that the cruise is booked in his legal first name and last name as it appears on his government issued photo ID.

Fight, fight, and fight some more. This is one case where I'd be stuck to them (as my friend used to say) like white on rice. This is a customer service failure -- or an intentional scam -- or a little of each. One of my harshest complaints about Carnival is their pathetic customer service. They could learn a thing or two from their room stewards and MDR staff.

Fight, fight, and fight some more. This is one case where I'd be stuck to them (as my friend used to say) like white on rice. This is a customer service failure -- or an intentional scam -- or a little of each. One of my harshest complaints about Carnival is their pathetic customer service. They could learn a thing or two from their room stewards and MDR staff.

Yeah, but there are not working for tips.

Okay peeps...here's the breakdown.

Carnival says any change to a name that is more than 3 letters is considered a name change. Even if it's the same person...it's a name change. Right or wrong it's a name change...

If it's Carnival's error than most likely no $50 fee...

If it's less than 3 letters...no $50 fee

My question is if the OPs partner goes by Clay is all his government issued documents Clay as his first name? If they are then don't pay the fee and change it....if his documents list a different name then how where you planning on boarding the ship without government documents matching boarding pass?:rolleyes: A WHOLE nothing issue there.

If you just want it to match you VIFP why not just call Carnival and update his VIFP profile to match Clay end of story...no $50 fee.:D

Good idea, but I already tried and it's doesn't allow me to make that change. :(

What's his passport say or birth certificate say? Michael or Clay? Michael Clay (last name)? Cruise docs need to match that. Just changing the name within the VIFP program to Clay as his first name isn't going to totally solve the problem. This could create a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

Talk to a supervisor and ask them if it's worth it to Carnival to lose your business for this absurd $50 name change fee. If they continue to demand this fee and you still really want to cruise Carnival then email their PR department to plead your case. Otherwise book another cruiseline but still email Carnival at least to remind them you've taken your cruise business elsewhere. :mad:

I do think the fee is used incorrectly at times BUT if you make the mistake...then you should pay it.

It sounds to me the OP entered the name wrong. He added in the "nickname" and not the official name and now needs to make a change.This is their fault and not Carnivals.

For example, my sister's name is Margaret, but everyone calls her Maggie. Margaret is on all her docs, so if I entered Maggie, I would need to change it so it would match.

Carnival is not to blame, the OP is.

So what if the op is to blame for the mistake. Not something that she should pay $50.00 for.

You are right. Friend of mine picked up the incorrect gas can and accidentally put diesel in his car instead of unleaded. He shouldn't have to pay for the car repairs either.

It's unfair to blame the customer service reps in this instance. They don't own the company and don't make the rules, but sadly are bound by them. This is not a customer service failure on the part of the reps, but rather on the part of the company itself.

The company puts the customer service reps in a bad position due to their "policies". Just like many of us who work for companies whose policies we don't always agree with but have to follow (or potentially lose our jobs).

I think the $50 name change fee is a holdover from paper ticket days when it was indeed more hassle and cost for an airline, cruise company or hotel to change a name on a ticket and mail out new documents. cruise lines are simply making money off it now. Not nice, I agree. But good reason to make sure you've got the correct names and info when booking.

So what if the op is to blame for the mistake. Not something that she should pay $50.00 for.

Except if it was booked as an ES rate, that is the stated fee for a name change. If you aren't willing to live with the terms don't book using this rate. Carnival should not be responsible for a mistake we make out of ignorance (or because we think contracts are just "blah blah blah").

You are right. Friend of mine picked up the incorrect gas can and accidentally put diesel in his car instead of unleaded. He shouldn't have to pay for the car repairs either.

Your situation involves actual damages. The situation discussed here involves words typed on a computer.

I don't really have anything involved in this situation, but companies are starting to create revenue streams through fees that we as customers are having a harder time avoiding.

Imagine a future where you go to the store to buy groceries and they charge you a one dollar fee to ring up your purchases, a 50 cent fee to bag your purchases and a 75 cent fee to process your payment.

It's not that hard to imagine. As I said before, my daughter has to pay a fee to her insurance company when she makes her insurance payment. Whether she pays by check, cash, debit or credit. I've told her she should change companies, but she has just gotten used to doing it that way.

I'm sorry, but I think this has nothing to do with customer service. It has to do with the fact the OP put in wrong info. Carnival didn't do it, he did it himself. When there are rules why is anyone/everyone telling him that the rules don't/shouldn't apply to him?

The forms require the legal name and the legal first name is not Clay. I think there shouldn't be a charge to change the name, but that is not the policy at Carnival. A cruise booking is like a legal contract and nics or middle names are not the real first name. Simple to me and I think it's time people started having to follow the rules. I know I will be flamed, but the OP created the problem and he has to deal with it.

I'm sorry, but I think this has nothing to do with customer service. It has to do with the fact the OP put in wrong info. Carnival didn't do it, he did it himself. When there are rules why is anyone/everyone telling him that the rules don't/shouldn't apply to him?

The forms require the legal name and the legal first name is not Clay. I think there shouldn't be a charge to change the name, but that is not the policy at Carnival. A cruise booking is like a legal contract and nics or middle names are not the real first name. Simple to me and I think it's time people started having to follow the rules. I know I will be flamed, but the OP created the problem and he has to deal with it.

I want you to remember what you have said when you accidentally do something in the future that causes a loss in money or some other issue for you. I am sure you will want some help and when no one gives it, helps you, etc. . . . Remember.

Two totally different situations. One involves accidentally placing the name into a computer and the other involves major damage. Changing a name in a computer involves a minute of time by a paid employee and one involves major repairs.

It does cost money for Carnival to change the name. It is taking a service agent away from something that might be productive. As a Carnival customer I don't want my fare to go up to pay for someone being careless and causing costs to go up. Pay the full fare, not the cheapo fare and they are much more lenient.

This is a conniving game of "Simon Says," and nothing more, on the part of Carnival. Why not make a rule that you must board the ship with with one eye in the winking position or you're face a $50 addon fee? Or a rule that you must write your middle name in all caps or you'll face a $50 addon fee? What the heck, them's the rules!

And yes, Carnival customer service is a failure from start to finish -- whether you have a question on the phone (five answers from five reps), or a question at the customer service desk, or send an email. They don't have their ducks in a row. A customer service rep can easily re-type a mispelled passenger name, or change it from nickname to formal. Tap tap tap on a keyboard.

Frankly, I don't allow the company that I work for to order me to do unethical things. As a web developer and graphic designer, I will not send spam email blasts. I will not create fraudulent marketing media online or in print. I will not overcharge clients for projects (they pay for the time worked, and nothing more). And I lecture them if they even try to encourage unethical behavior. If you need to drop your integrity when you arrive at work, then it's time for a personal re-evaluation.

This is a conniving game of "Simon Says," and nothing more, on the part of Carnival. Why not make a rule that you must board the ship with with one eye in the winking position or you're face a $50 addon fee? Or a rule that you must write your middle name in all caps or you'll face a $50 addon fee? What the heck, them's the rules!

And yes, Carnival customer service is a failure from start to finish -- whether you have a question on the phone (five answers from five reps), or a question at the customer service desk, or send an email. They don't have their ducks in a row. A customer service rep can easily re-type a mispelled passenger name, or change it from nickname to formal. Tap tap tap on a keyboard.

Frankly, I don't allow the company that I work for to order me to do unethical things.

And ridiculous comparisons by the "holier than thou's" on this board make up for it.

Geez pal, the guy screwed up, and is soliciting info on how to beat the system because of HIS OWN ERROR. Enough is enough. Suck it up and pay the $50 fee. For the next booking, maybe he'll get it right or choose to go elsewhere. There's your simple solution.

The OP the same for making a mists it considered bad coustomer service when you're told "no"? I don't always think so. How often are you told yes in life? There is bound to be a no answer thrown in. That's life. Do I agree with the whole name thing I don't. As easy as it is with technology for you to make a booking the person who paid should have equal opportunity to adjust their booking. Up until a couple weeks out so info can be transferred to Dept of homeland security. If that's how they do it. Not sure why it matters if its Mary Smith or Mike Jones in the room.

For the poster that called the carnival Rep a Moron for making a mistake were you calling the op the same for his mistake?

You should be able to go into Your VIFP account to change the name. Hit edit under travel companion. The number should be there under his name and you should be able to just edit his name while the number says the same.

Sorry about the people on here whining about contracts, etc. Some of them live to be rude. You came to vent and get some help, not rudeness.

I tried that but their site doesn't allow it.

I think they were just trying to explain the contract to the OP since they obviously didn't read it.

You're right, I didn't read through it, but the point I'm making is that this is a bad policy for carnival. Charging $50 to add someone's past guest number to their booking. Silly!

I'm %100 on board. Doesn't matter what the who did what when or why, it's a simple data change. They should be gratefull to provide the customer service. I transferred a $1500 Mex Riviera cruise to a $4500 Panama cruise, had to pay $100 "administrative fee" to give them another $3000. My PVP made the change, so it's not like he was paid overtime to do it.

Absurd! You had to pay them $100 so that you could pay them an add'l $3000. At this rate, pretty soon they'll start charging you for the picture they take for your Sail & Sign Card.

Every year we book a condo at Panama City Beach. We have to pay cleaning fee, resort fee, parking fee, administration fee, etc. A booking at $159 a night ends up at $205 a night.

My daughter's insurance company charges a fee for every single method of payment. Whether check, cash, debit or credit card there is a fee for paying your insurance payment.

It's gotten completely ridiculous.

Ridiculous indeed. Sounds like your daughter's insurance company will start charging her to print her bill if they are already charging her to pay it!

Archived