Can mattress covers/protectors be requested from HAL

Appygirl

Does anyone know if we can request a mattress protector in our personalizer from HAL and actually get one?

Without getting too graphic, my father sleeps wearing Depends but sometimes they leak. In the interest of not wrecking the mattress or giving the stewards more clean up than they bargained for, can a plastic cover be provided?

I would think most cruise lines have dealt with bed wetters of one sort or another and have a back up plan they can implement.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if we can request a mattress protector in our personalizer from HAL and actually get one?

Without getting too graphic, my father sleeps wearing Depends but sometimes they leak. In the interest of not wrecking the mattress or giving the stewards more clean up than they bargained for, can a plastic cover be provided?

I would think most cruise lines have dealt with bed wetters of one sort or another and have a back up plan they can implement.

Thanks!

I would bet, (but not positive) that HAL already has plastic protectors under their mattress covers..I suspect many HAL cruisers have needed a protector..

If no one answerers you, maybe a poster who has a cruise in the near future, will investigate this for you..

Perhaps you should call Ships Services & ask them..

Cheers...:)Betty

Gosh Thyphoon, what a pleasant thought. I would think Hal does cover their mattress with protective material. There are so many things that can wreck a mattress. Like a spilled coffee, coke, etc.. Passengers tend to eat in bed and that leaves the mattress very variable to damage.

They are already on the bed - anytime I have been in the cabin when the sheets were being changed, I noticed the pad.....would be surprised to find it missing. If it is, the stewards will be able to get one for you.

Also, if you want something more to put on top of the sheets, you can get "Underpads" at Shoppers Drug Mart - 20 pads per package - extra large size is 23" x 36." The package is really quite compact - about the size that a pair of men's shoes would take up in a suitcase.

Hope this helps........

I would think this may be in place. Are you aware how many people become deceased during a cruise?

Would you want to sleep on the same mattress?

Ok, I'll play:

Response to question #1: I think this must be a trick question: more people die on a world cruise than a short cruise.

question #2: No I would not want to sleep on the same mattress with a deceased person. Heck, I don't really want to sleep on any mattress but my own, but they won't let me take my mattress on board. Not even an air mattress. I suppose I could sleep on the floor, but then I would have to sleep on rugs that deceased persons walked on...ok, I'll take the mattress, you can take the floor :D Life goes on. Cheers -S

Thanks!

Hi Appygirl. When a family member faced that problem, we put a large pool size towel on top of the sheets (in addition to the mattress protector). It provided a space between sheets and the plastic protector which holds heat and moisture. Much more comfortable, and easy to wash. You're very considerate. Thank you and best wishes to you and your Dad. -S.

Thanks everyone for the answers and suggestions!

The last HAL I was on - the Zuiderdam - in 2009 I couldn't tell you one way or the other if there was a protector cover on the mattress.

I thought about phoning customer service but my experience is I'll get one answer and then the next time I'm talking to them and get a different person if I ask again I'll get a different answer. And I've been there working the phone lines of a tour wholesaler. I've had questions asking if the beds at a certain hotel faces east. Some do and some don't. Can't say for sure if the room you get what direction the beds face in. Another rep may have said they all face east because that's the answer the customer wants to hear.

Yes we have thought about bringing a mattress protector from home or 2 or 3 in case we have to air them out!

Rainbow Bridge - thanks for the underpads tip at Shoppers. We'll go check them out and probably bring them along. Whatever we can do to make things easier. My father's significant other doesn't want to travel with him any more because my father can sometimes be a bit of work. I assume laundry wise because she said he'll need to bring 6 pairs of pj's. Maybe not that many. I already found out HAL has an unlimited daily laundry package and I'm signing up!

Pool sized towel might work too. I'll let my husband investigate the bed in the morning. He can pull the sheets off the bed and leave them for the stewards to get to the laundry.

And I've already seen a tip to ask for extra garbage bags for the cabin so my father can put the Depends in their own bag.

No I wouldn't want to sleep on a mattress that someone had just died on. Likewise I wouldn't want to start my first night on a cruise getting into bed and feeling a very wet spot underneath me!

When we were on the Island Princess in 2010 on shore waiting in line for the tender, staff were getting off the tender with mattresses on dollies and wheeling them up the ramp and away somewhere. I didn't see where. They went out of my sight. I don't know if these were destroyed mattresses heading for a dumpster or if there was a waiting box truck to take them away for disposal. I can't think of any reason why a cruise ship would remove mattresses on a tender port other than maybe dumping fees are cheaper (free?) there. I think mattresses at our waste station cost $15 each to dump. I don't know because I've never dumped one but there is an extra fee other than the rate per ton of garbage.

Ok, I'll play:

Response to question #1: I think this must be a trick question: more people die on a world cruise than a short cruise.

question #2: No I would not want to sleep on the same mattress with a deceased person. Heck, I don't really want to sleep on any mattress but my own, but they won't let me take my mattress on board. Not even an air mattress. I suppose I could sleep on the floor, but then I would have to sleep on rugs that deceased persons walked on...ok, I'll take the mattress, you can take the floor :D Life goes on. Cheers -S

OMG..what is the average age of a HAL passenger? Have we made a BIG mistake booking here? We are only 60... Think we're still 30.. But the mirror says No! But now we are worried...should we have gone on a SAGA cruise? Help!

Quote by Appygirl: "When we were on the Island Princess in 2010 on shore waiting in line for the tender, staff were getting off the tender with mattresses on dollies and wheeling them up the ramp and away somewhere. I didn't see where. They went out of my sight. I don't know if these were destroyed mattresses heading for a dumpster or if there was a waiting box truck to take them away for disposal. I can't think of any reason why a cruise ship would remove mattresses on a tender port other than maybe dumping fees are cheaper (free?) there. I think mattresses at our waste station cost $15 each to dump. I don't know because I've never dumped one but there is an extra fee other than the rate per ton of garbage."

While I'm not certain if this is factual or not, I remember reading a post at one time indicating that mattresses are sometimes donated at/near port communities in need. While used, obviously a used mattresses over no mattress might be very helpful. That may have been what you saw. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is incorrect.

OMG..what is the average age of a HAL passenger? Have we made a BIG mistake booking here? We are only 60... Think we're still 30.. But the mirror says No! But now we are worried...should we have gone on a SAGA cruise? Help!

Hi firstcarib. My reply to the "number of deceased" question was intended to be humorous and certainly not related to the age of passengers:eek::D Actually, my husband and I were suprised at the wide age range on our Veendam cruise to Bermuda last May; from babies to retirees. If I were to guess, I'd say more passengers were under 60 than over 60 on that cruise. But I've never taken a SAGA cruise, so I can't offer a comparison. Cheers, Salacia

On a HAL Caribbean cruise they loaded old mattresses, cleaned, back on the ship to give to an orphange in St. Kitts. Also on one cruise they replaced plastic chairs and gave the old ones to a school.

They only gave the mattresses that were not soiled etc.

Hi firstcarib. My reply to the "number of deceased" question was intended to be humorous and certainly not related to the age of passengers:eek::D Actually, my husband and I were suprised at the wide age range on our Veendam cruise to Bermuda last May; from babies to retirees. If I were to guess, I'd say more passengers were under 60 than over 60 on that cruise. But I've never taken a SAGA cruise, so I can't offer a comparison. Cheers, Salacia

Thank heavens! Actually I was joking too...I've never even considered a Saga cruise! Only ever been on one cruise before...Silverseas to Caribbean, so I know this HAL will be different...plus it's to Eastern Med...great itinerary which is mainly the reason we chose it. Didn't want Costa though, or lots of chavvies. Sure we will love it ...lots of good things posted on this great site! Cheers:rolleyes::p:p

I'm a smidge younger than you and definitely don't act my age;) We love HAL - don't let the post concern you. We just happen to have a considerate op who wants to make sure that the ship isn't inconvenienced:)

Archived