Hotel in Jerusalem

chicagogal

I thought I would ask this well traveled group if anyone has a hotel recommendation to share in Jerusalem? Thanks in advance. Patty

Hi Patty

I stayed at the King David Hotel back in 1989 and 1995. Good location and amazing history. If I ever went back, I'd stay there again.

HTH.

Cheers

Jennifer

Stayed at the King David in 2010. Book through AMX Platinum. Great upgrade and lots of perks. Wonderful experience. (Also noticed the American Colony when doing research, might want to look into that property)

The King David is the standard in Jerusalem although the David Citadel is quite nice too. Most important when booking is to make sure you get a view of the Old City. For a younger, hipper demographic the Mamila is trendy and an interesting spot.

Thank you all for your replies. I had, obviously, been doing my own research and was leaning toward the King David. Recent reviews on Trip Advisor are not all flattering though. There, like here, you get enough varied opinions and comments about the same 5 or 6 hotels to end up rather confused! Above all, it seems service is uneven at all of them. I don't think the modern Mamila will be the choice even though the location is great. The American Colony seems to be in a less desirable (and maybe less safe) location compared to the others.

I notice no one is mentioning the Inbal Jerusalem, another one I looked at.

Agree with wripro -- this could be why you do not find many Americans or Israelis working on cruise ships. I'm sure most people living in the U.S. have come across some of the worst customer service in the world -- in restaurants, stores, on the telephone, etc. While I love my country, manners and decorum need to be taught both in the home and in the schools.

We did find service in Jerusalem to be fine -- they do their jobs well and are mostly polite -- especially in the hotels.

I have stayed there twice this year, the second time in June. I visit Israel annually and the Citadel is my preferred hotel. The rooms are spacious and the food amazing. The service is excellent.

I Used to stay at the King David. I left them 10 years ago. The hotel is older and not all of the rooms are even in quality. The newer ones are very nice. The food is very good and the swimming pool is the nicest in Israel.

I would suggest considering the Executive Floors at the Citadel. The Executive Lounge is one of the finest in the world and is worth the extra cost.

For those seeking a nice hotel in same general area, the Dan Panorama is nice but nothing special.

We are going to Jerusalem in December and will stay in the David Citadel. I think the Mamila was too modern for some of our group's taste.

We are using a private tour guide and they gave us the name of a travel agent in Israel. They said that we could book however we wanted, but suggested that any rate we could find would be beat by his agent. It was true after we looked into it. I think they must book up the rooms in bulk in advance and then resell them. Even paying the small surcharge to book on credit card, it was still cheaper than the rates online.

if you're interested, send me a PM.

Shalom!

I would be very careful with whom you book. Yes, it is possible to save lots of money and have a room facing an air conditioner. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. In the case of the David's Citadel, is the room a standard or deluxe room? Does it face the old city (preferable) or the new city (rooms are uneven in quality).

As a rule of thumb, I only book through US travel agents with experience and contracts with hotels in Israel. It is very easy to be taken advantage of in a foreign country. Working directly with an unknown guide is risky. Make sure he is licensed!

I have stayed there twice this year, the second time in June. I visit Israel annually and the Citadel is my preferred hotel. The rooms are spacious and the food amazing. The service is excellent.

I Used to stay at the King David. I left them 10 years ago. The hotel is older and not all of the rooms are even in quality. The newer ones are very nice. The food is very good and the swimming pool is the nicest in Israel.

I would suggest considering the Executive Floors at the Citadel. The Executive Lounge is one of the finest in the world and is worth the extra cost.

For those seeking a nice hotel in same general area, the Dan Panorama is nice but nothing special.

Thanks for this. I will take another look at the Citadel.

Patty

I would be very careful with whom you book. Yes, it is possible to save lots of money and have a room facing an air conditioner. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. In the case of the David's Citadel, is the room a standard or deluxe room? Does it face the old city (preferable) or the new city (rooms are uneven in quality).

As a rule of thumb, I only book through US travel agents with experience and contracts with hotels in Israel. It is very easy to be taken advantage of in a foreign country. Working directly with an unknown guide is risky. Make sure he is licensed!

If you know of a good licensed guide, I would be interested in that information as well. Thanks again.

Archived