Looking for some info on the Veendam....New HAL cruiser.

pampaul

We've been on 6 cruises so far with 4 different cruise lines (Norwegian, Carnival, Royal Caribbean & Disney)

We've enjoyed them all with RCI being our least fave (I think only because it was an older ship, not sure)

Anyhow, we'll be on the Veendam to Bermuda next month and I'm curious if this cruise will be similar to our others. Here are a few questions...

1--Out of our previous cruises, only Disney had soda that was included in the price. The others we bought soda cards. How does HAL work?

2--Can someone tell me which restaurants are included in the price and which ones have a charge? How did you like the "pay restaurants"? Worth it? What was their price?

3--As for attire, is HAL more "upscale" than the other lines we've been on? For formal night, hubby usually wears a suit/tie and I wear black pants with a dressy top. And on "cruise casual" nights, he wears black pants with either a "hawaiian type shirt" or a button down shirt (usually a mixture of the both of them) And I'll usually wear capris with a top. Should I expect to dress differently or will this be okay?

We've been on 6 cruises so far with 4 different cruise lines (Norwegian, Carnival, Royal Caribbean & Disney)

We've enjoyed them all with RCI being our least fave (I think only because it was an older ship, not sure)

Anyhow, we'll be on the Veendam to Bermuda next month and I'm curious if this cruise will be similar to our others. Here are a few questions...

1--Out of our previous cruises, only Disney had soda that was included in the price. The others we bought soda cards. How does HAL work?

Soda card, beverage card (includes alcoholic bevies) or by the drink

2--Can someone tell me which restaurants are included in the price and which ones have a charge? How did you like the "pay restaurants"? Worth it? What was their price?

Dining room & Lido cafeteria are included (as is room service). Pinnacle Grill (upscale steakhouse) is $25/PP

3--As for attire, is HAL more "upscale" than the other lines we've been on? For formal night, hubby usually wears a suit/tie and I wear black pants with a dressy top. And on "cruise casual" nights, he wears black pants with either a "hawaiian type shirt" or a button down shirt (usually a mixture of the both of them) And I'll usually wear capris with a top. Should I expect to dress differently or will this be okay?

That sounds fine - it's what we wear.

Enjoy your cruise!

HAL allows you to bring on board all the soda you want.

Main dining room, Caneletto(Italian), and Lido are included in the price.

Pinnacle Grill has an extra charge for lunch and dinner. $25pp for dinner and $10 pp for lunch.

It sounds like you will be dressed perfectly for dinner. It's probably too late for you to request fixed dining. Just for your info, early fixed dining is now at 5:15 on Veendam and late is 8pm.

Enjoy your cruise and Bermuda. The island is lovely.

Dave nailed it, but I'll add a bit more information about the Pinnacle Grill and the Canaletto.

The Pinnacle Grill also serves lunch at $10/pp upcharge. IMO, the Pinnacle is well worth the upcharge. Reservations are required, and I suggest you make them early if you want a specific day / time. You can book online prior to sailing, or at the front desk after you sail. Also, most HAL ships also set aside one or more days (depending on cruise length) for "An Evening at Le Cirque in the Pinnacle Grill" for a higher upcharge. We have enjoyed the Pinnacle Grill on several occasions (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), but have yet to try the Le Cirque. Everything we've heard about the Le Cirque has been positive.

You can find more information about the Pinnacle Grill & Le Cirque at this URL on the HAL site (http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Dining.action?tabName=Restaurants%20%26%20Grills&contentMenu=The%20Pinnacle%20Grill)

The Canaletto serves dinner and is located in the Lido. There is no upcharge. Reservations are recommended, but we have been able to walk up and get seated. The Canaletto is an Italian themed venue and while not world class, the food is very good, it's a fun experience, and it's a nice break from the MDR.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Pinnacle Grill has an extra charge for lunch and dinner. $25pp for dinner and $10 pp for lunch-- on one night Pinnacle becomes Le Circe and charges 40 dollars a person- it should be Thursday on Veendam, I perfer Pinnacle over Le Circe.

Remember Hal allows you to bring on all the wine you want and charges 18 dollar corkage if you drink it in resturant. public rooms.

Archived