New Years Cruise

augies

Would you please comment on the pros and cons of a New Years cruise to the Carribbean? We are thinking of booking one but are concerned about crowds, too many kids, too young of a crowd, etc. We are in our 60's.

Thanks for your help.

Would you please comment on the pros and cons of a New Years cruise to the Carribbean? We are thinking of booking one but are concerned about crowds, too many kids, too young of a crowd, etc. We are in our 60's.

Thanks for your help.

What ship?

Cons (to me): lots of kids, lots of crowds, the same itinerary will be cheaper a week or two later.

Pros: it's a cruise, it's a holiday, I'm not at work

We're in your age bracket, I work, my husband is retired. I probably wouldn't choose that date again, if I could go a week or two later.

Almost all of the time the Emerald will sail full on Caribbean sailings, so the "crowd" will be the same on the NYE cruise or any other.

We have been on a holiday cruise where you count not even tell there there more than 550 children aboard. Others have reported mayhem on holiday cruises. It is hard to predict how well behaved the youngsters will be.

Too young of a crowd? Most postings about age are by people worried about too old of a crowd. There will likely be a good mix of people of all ages on a holiday cruise.

It all depends if you want to celebrate the holiday on a cruise ship or not. Certainly, as someone pointed out, sail a week later for considerably less $$$. And no celebration.

606935907_10712_31.03SkywalktoSkywalkersNightclubPc300241.jpg.13cf4c85ca21a7b480ae0e93cd533357.jpg

100853997_11012_31.03AtriumbeforeballoondropM12-28-26A.jpg.e8d8e3e906da5c7674a66556d88f3f2c.jpg

1139445800_1061_01.05HappyNewYearP1010942.jpg.fb7014d8fd665ae5b1199f878c90bc8e.jpg

307703499_1071_01.05NeptunesReefPoolareaaftermidnightP1010943.jpg.f705de5bbcdf1e70b9543acb17d13fc3.jpg

Thanks for your help.

We're booked on the Caribbean Princess for New Year's. It's sort of becoming a tradition with us. Last year we were on the Sapphire Princess, the year before that it was the Crown Princess for New Year's. It's a great way to spend New Year's Eve, it's basically one big party. Yes, the Piazza will be crowded (as will the area around the MUTS pool), but it is very fun. It's generally a formal night, so most people will still be in their finest duds (I do admit that I'm not one of those...after dinner, I change into something more comfortable :p ) The only cons that I see is if you have a port day the next morning. It might be a bit difficult to get up early... :) Thankfully, we don't get in to Curacao until 1pm.

We were on the Emerald last New Years. While I expected lots of kids on the Christmas cruise (and there were, about 450), there were over 600 on the New Years cruise. But the cruises were quite different. There were large family groups (50-60 people each) of two different nationalities on board that didn't mix well when the alcohol consumption increased. There was a more apparent prescence of security crew all around the ship. Chairs were saved, not two at a time but 12 or 17 at a time. Still, we had a wonderful time, jut kept a low profile, and didn't push ourselves to see or do anything. We tried to be more laid back, which was good, because many of our fellow passengers were not. And there were 5 parties, including one at 8pm (British time) which was probably the best one.

We've been on two holiday cruises (that included Christmas and NY), both on the Hawaiian itinerary, and really enjoyed spending those holidays on board. I rarely ever go to NY parties, but feel this is a good way of partying the night away without worries of being on the road with drivers who are plastered.

We were on the Star Princess one New Year's with large family group, there were 30 of us. We loved being with the family and having fun with them, but that's where it ended. The ship was full of kids, the worse were all the teenagers up late at night running around. They were up and down the elevators, late around the pools even if the pools were closed, etc. The young kids are not a problem since they have many activities for them and they're with the parents in the evening. The lines at the HC were long, pools crowded and we paid 40% more than the cruise that left the following week. Never again.

I can't think of one good reason to sail on Christmas or New Years with numerous amounts of kids & people with the highest prices of the year while just 2 weeks prior & 2 weeks later it's the cheapest prices of the year with normal amounts of people on board.

I can't think of one good reason to sail on Christmas or New Years with numerous amounts of kids & people with the highest prices of the year while just 2 weeks prior & 2 weeks later it's the cheapest prices of the year with normal amounts of people on board.

I can - because that is when the "plants" are closed, and people can get the time off.

Here's another - it's one big party, and someone else is hosting.

Loved it....but we missed our family, I'll admit. It would have been more fun with others along, but they didn't want to go against "tradition." On the other hand, being retired military that have moved frequently, we are accustomed to going our own way for the Holidays. That being said, New Year's was more fun.

I don't know what we will be doing this year...but kids and crowds won't keep me away if we decide to do it again.

Uh, because we don't want to go home?:p

RickEk We have booked on the Caribbean Princess for this New Year as well.

I have to say I didn't even think of the issue with a huge amount of kids for New Years. It's not that we do not like kids....I just really don't want a lot of them running around unsupervised yelling/running etc. That happened on the Allure last year during the first part of Jan.. So this could happen any time. The hubby and I try to make the best of everything. I appreciate everyone for their comments about how it is on the ship during the holidays.:D

Well, you know, we had gotten to the point where we wouldn't go out on New Year's Eve... too many drunks and cops on the highway. Celebrating on a ship is perfect for us. We can drink as much as we want (or not) and not worry about getting home. The party is always big, loud and a lot of fun. We just enjoy the heck out of the entire experience... :)

I'd go at over the holidays - ohyeah it's already booked!!! Love being able to go to a NY party and not worry about anything but having fun! That said we tend to stay away from the "big" ships as they attract the large family groups that aren't the best cruise companions. The smaller ship (since they don't have facilities for kids) tend to attract an older crowd - just like us!!!

We like to dance and NYE is great on Princess Ships. 3 venues with live bands providing

dance music. Unfortunately they only go until about 1:00am. I wish they would go

longer. Dancing in Skywalkers does not thrill me. Normally the seas are rough in the

Pacific and Skywalkers makes it even more so because of its height above the water.

Last NYE on the Golden was great, I am looking forward to this coming NYE also on the

Golden.

Greg

I can - because that is when the "plants" are closed, and people can get the time off.

Here's another - it's one big party, and someone else is hosting.

Loved it....but we missed our family, I'll admit. It would have been more fun with others along, but they didn't want to go against "tradition." On the other hand, being retired military that have moved frequently, we are accustomed to going our own way for the Holidays. That being said, New Year's was more fun.

I don't know what we will be doing this year...but kids and crowds won't keep me away if we decide to do it again.

It's obviously for some folks as is obvious by the prices they charge and we're not concerned about getting "time off" any longer. As far as parties go we have a neighborhood of parties all within walking distance.

Until you cruise in early Dec or mid Jan you can't appreciate the quietness of a cruise without the kids.

We also did emerald over new years and loved it! If you are a shopper there was a few days after new years where shops were closed. we found a few bits we wanted but if you are a serious shopper then that's the only thing. Captin Even warned parents during muster that kids had to behave for their safety and benefit of other guests and if they miss behaved then entire party will be removed from ship!

The train at st kitts was very chilled on new years day everyone was shouting happy new year as we passed.

Stu K

We have done several NYE cruises. They are great! They are a bit crowded, but they are fun. No more crowded than other busy times such a Spring Break, etc. We like them a lot better than Christmas cruises, but that's just our preference. The only downside I can see is that they are more expensive than you would pay a week later.

Ohiodoglover

Archived