Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

RedHeadTexan-- Very cute skir! And love the other fabrics. I ran into JoAnn's to get some thread for my serger. Hemmed a dress I purchased for cruise leaving Sunday. Normally I hate any sort of repairs/alterations, but felt so good to do even that little bit of sewing. Maybe this summer's project will be to get set up for sewing again...

I HATE alterations. I really do. Right now I have three of my husbands ling sleev shirt with cuffs to fix. The are are way too long. So, I have to take the sleeves apart. I just hate doing this. But I got to get started on them.

I don't know if this is because I am bored today...most of the company took today off, so I have nothing to do...but I am thinking of buying a coverstitch machine. I have my awesome Babylock Imagine Serger and my Husqvarna Emerald Sewing Machine, but I am ready to take my hems to the next level. And, I am too chicken to try a twin needle on my basic sewing machine.

The machine I am looking at is the Janome 900CPX for around $400. So, for those of you that have a coverstitch machine do you think it's worth the investment? How are they to thread (I am very spoiled with auto threading on my serger)? Am I overthinking the whole twin needle thing on my sewing machine? Oh, I make everything out of knits.

Lisa

I have two sergers but they don't do a cover stitch. You do sew with knits a lot and that might be helpful on the hems. Maybe you could try a twin needle. There are sergers that also do a coverstitich. Have you thought about upgrading your serger, to one that does a coverstitich? I am saying this because of the therading. You would have to switch your serger thread to the coverstitch machine or buy the extra thread. The cover stitch machine sound good too. I looded at it and it seems nice

My serger does not do a coverstitch. So, I am just thinking about it too.

Here is a link to you sewing machine. I know you know your machine, but these might be fun to watch. I watch them for my

Diamond Royale

https://sewingmastery.com/husqvarna-viking-emerald-116/

https://sewingmastery.com/husqvarna-viking-emerald-118/

I will go buy a double needle today and test it. I have three bottoms that need hemming. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please let us know how it comes out. I have never sewn with a double needle and would love to know how it works out.

I finally got the arms of my DH's shirts shorten. I was able to take the cuffs off, cut off some length and sew the cuffs back on. I really HATE doing alterations. It is different from sewing a garment from the start.

I am curious. Most men shirts come with sleeve length. I'm confused as to why you had to shorten his sleeves??

Some men's shirts come in small, med, large, XL and so on. These do not have a sleeve length that you can pick to match your arms length. They were not dress shirts. They were casual shirts. With these shirts a size med. comes with one are length, which did not match his arm length. Plus, I brought them a while ago and he did not try them until recently. I learned my lesson, if he does not try them on right away, they will go back to the store. Also, I will look for shirts that are sold by neck size and arm length.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/club-room-mens-cotton-gingham-shirt-only-at-macys?ID=3239861&CategoryID=20627#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D2144%26ruleId%3D19|BS|BA%26slotId%3D2

I tried the twin needle to hem my rowing shorts and it worked ok. I tested on scraps first, and reduced the bobbin tension after a few issues. The key to the twin needle is the setup. Thread the spools one at a time and only have one thread go through the thread guide. Here are a couple of pictures:

aa26552a879c079ac3cbc21832c68924.jpg

7bc923272d98b131a440b1dd8fe3ae55.jpg

Overall, I am not a fan of the twin needle for what I am wanting to do. I can't see the raw edge, and I want to sew right on it. I have a feeling that a coverstitch is in my future.

Lisa

Well, the twin needle snapped on the 2nd pair of shorts. Material is thin Lycra Spandex, so that should not have caused a new needle to break. $400 on a coverstitch machine is sounding better and better. Even Walt agreed that a new machine would be better than needle tips flying. He was chatting with me when it happened.

I don't know if this is because I am bored today...most of the company took today off, so I have nothing to do...but I am thinking of buying a coverstitch machine. I have my awesome Babylock Imagine Serger and my Husqvarna Emerald Sewing Machine, but I am ready to take my hems to the next level. And, I am too chicken to try a twin needle on my basic sewing machine.

The machine I am looking at is the Janome 900CPX for around $400. So, for those of you that have a coverstitch machine do you think it's worth the investment? How are they to thread (I am very spoiled with auto threading on my serger)? Am I overthinking the whole twin needle thing on my sewing machine? Oh, I make everything out of knits.

Lisa

I've been away from this thread for quite awhile but am sewing for a cruise so ...

A friend bought this cover stitch a few months ago. So far as I know, she likes it! I am tempted. I use a twin needle frequently, but today stitched some knits and just ran them through twice.

Lisa,

I hope that the twin needle will work out for you. I have been watching U tube videos about sewing with twin needles. Very interesting, maybe some day I will give it a try.

JanineM,

Welcome back to the sewing thread. What will you be sewing?

I finished sewing my DH's shirts sleeves. Today I had to make a seat cover for a office/sewing chair. It came out fine. Now, one more thing to make for my DH's chair. He wants a head rest. Maybe Tuesday I can do it. Then maybe, just maybe I might get some time to sew for me!

Good morning everyone! So, my mum helped take my measurements and dang it all, larger than what the pattern goes to 9215afc5801e09a316fdd8d3541f6eb6.jpg

The dress is princess seamed (bad grammar, sorry) so I think I can increase the circumference easily, but I can't find any information to back up my memory. Tried searching "Threads" but not having any luck. Also not having any luck trying to find a review of the pattern. It could just be me and not thinking logically for the search engines [emoji851] so that's why I am posting here.

Have a great day everyone, Sue

ps the pattern may have been printed in 2003 as that is the copyright date on the envelope. Checked the website and the pattern number doesn't show.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Will do a tracing of the pattern and check. Not going to rush through making the dress. Want to do a few seams a day

Sound like a good idea to trace the pattern. I find that a lot of times there is too much ease built into a pattern and I cut a size or two smaller than what my true pattern size is.

Good morning everyone! So, my mum helped take my measurements and dang it all, larger than what the pattern goes to The dress is princess seamed (bad grammar, sorry) so I think I can increase the circumference easily, but I can't find any information to back up my memory. Tried searching "Threads" but not having any luck. Also not having any luck trying to find a review of the pattern. It could just be me and not thinking logically for the search engines [emoji851] so that's why I am posting here.

Have a great day everyone, Sue

ps the pattern may have been printed in 2003 as that is the copyright date on the envelope. Checked the website and the pattern number doesn't show.

Do you have another princess seamed top or dress that you can use for comparison? I bought Nancy Zieman's book last week and am working my way through it. Her way of fitting looks a bit easier than what I've used previously - pivot and slide where needed.

Lisa,

I

JanineM,

Welcome back to the sewing thread. What will you be sewing?

I finished sewing my DH's shirts sleeves. Today I had to make a seat cover for a office/sewing chair. It came out fine. Now, one more thing to make for my DH's chair. He wants a head rest. Maybe Tuesday I can do it. Then maybe, just maybe I might get some time to sew for me!

I hope you've had time to sew for yourself! One garment for someone else, 25 more me ;p

This weekend I sewed 2 of Deer & Doe's Plantain t-shirt. I just discovered that pattern and really love it! Before our Christmas cruise I sewed up two cotton jersey skirts, so now I've made the t-shirts to match. Plantain is a free pattern - scoop neck and slightly elliptical so it hides all of my cruise eating sins.

Tonight I'm working on a batik dress. It's a bit of an experiment, so will see how it goes. If it doesn't work as a dress then it will become a tunic!

I hope you've had time to sew for yourself! One garment for someone else, 25 more me ;p

This weekend I sewed 2 of Deer & Doe's Plantain t-shirt. I just discovered that pattern and really love it! Before our Christmas cruise I sewed up two cotton jersey skirts, so now I've made the t-shirts to match. Plantain is a free pattern - scoop neck and slightly elliptical so it hides all of my cruise eating sins.

Tonight I'm working on a batik dress. It's a bit of an experiment, so will see how it goes. If it doesn't work as a dress then it will become a tunic!

I like your way of thinking, "one garment for some one else, 25 more for me" That is good advice.

I have just one thing to finish for DH" favorite chair. Just a cover for where he puts his head. After that I can sew for me!