Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

So sad the way all of the fabric stores of quality are closing down. Good quality fabric can only be found on line and because I am a smeller, a scruncher and a feeler when I buy fabric even small swatches do not tell the tale. How can one tell how a piece of fabric will drape with two square inches? So I do not sew much anymore and I used to love to. I have bought pieces in Rouen for a Chanel jacket and a piece in China for another jacket, both of which I love to wear and are full of memories. I am always on the lookout when I travel for fabric shops in out of the way streets. The fun is in the hunt; and as the bumper sticker says: the gal that dies with the biggest stash wins!

So sad the way all of the fabric stores of quality are closing down. Good quality fabric can only be found on line and because I am a smeller, a scruncher and a feeler when I buy fabric even small swatches do not tell the tale. How can one tell how a piece of fabric will drape with two square inches? So I do not sew much anymore and I used to love to. I have bought pieces in Rouen for a Chanel jacket and a piece in China for another jacket, both of which I love to wear and are full of memories. I am always on the lookout when I travel for fabric shops in out of the way streets. The fun is in the hunt; and as the bumper sticker says: the gal that dies with the biggest stash wins!

Nice fabric is hard to find. I all so like to feel and scrunch the fabric to see how I will wrinkle when worn. I use a lot of cotton type fabric because now I am making casual clothing.

I agree. It's hard to find good fabric, but even in the shops. All the chain shops sell low quality crap. If you go to a local mom and pop shop you can find great things, but usually they don't do coupons or many sales, so the fabric will be expensive. I mostly make corsets now so I use mainly upholstery fabric, which you can find decent stuff in the chain stores.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi. It was recommended that I repost my question here. Has anyone made this wrap dress. If so did it stay pretty secure and did you dance in it.

Here is a link to where I posted a larger picture of it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2362936

I did check Simplicity and it said that it was a vintage pattern, one that they did sell in the 1950's. So, it is not a remake of a vintage patter, but the real deal. I would think it sold in the 1905's that there would not be a problem with it. You could also make a test garment of of real cheap fabric ..Even a old sheet would do. Then you could try it on to check fit while you walked, sat etc.

Edited by geocruiser

I did check Simplicity and it said that it was a vintage pattern, one that they did sell in the 1950's. So, it is not a remake of a vintage patter, but the real deal. I would think it sold in the 1905's that there would not be a problem with it. You could also make a test garment of of real cheap fabric ..Even a old sheet would do. Then you could try it on to check fit while you walked, sat etc.

Good idea. I am a very inexperienced seamstress, so I thought this would be a good dress to try. I have done some zippers for skirts, but a dress with no zippers really appealed to me. I saw that you were looking at another vintage wrap dress. Did you end up buying the pattern?

Geocruiser, where are the patterns on sale at. I really don't need anymore said no sewist! :eek: :D

Gerry

They are on sale at Joann's Fabric.

Butterick June 1-4 $1.99

McCalls June 3-6 # for $5.

Vogue June 3-6 $4.99

Last week it was Simplicity for .99 cents

Edited by geocruiser

Thanks Geocruiser, looks like I am going to Joanns today.

Have a great day everyone,

Gerry

HI Gerry,

The McCalls are 3 for $5.I see that I had a typo before.

Let us know what you get. I went back to day and brought a Vogue Pattern 9188. I buy patterns when on sale and have a bunch of them in a box or two. They are there when I want them.

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9188

Edited by geocruiser

I got bored today and started weeding out the graphic t-shirts and tank tops that I never wear. I found two from cruising that I love, but they shrunk the first time I washed them. I decided to refashion them into tote bags and Walt can use one on the next cruise. Now I don't have to schlep his camera and kindle. :D

Bag One: Keep Calm and Stay Anchored

Bag Two: Danger (picture of a guy getting blown off his feet by a plane) Fasten Your Seat Belts at Sunset St Maarten

I think Walt will go with the Maho Beach Bag.

Lisa

I got bored today and started weeding out the graphic t-shirts and tank tops that I never wear. I found two from cruising that I love, but they shrunk the first time I washed them. I decided to refashion them into tote bags and Walt can use one on the next cruise. Now I don't have to schlep his camera and kindle. :D

Bag One: Keep Calm and Stay Anchored

Bag Two: Danger (picture of a guy getting blown off his feet by a plane) Fasten Your Seat Belts at Sunset St Maarten

I think Walt will go with the Maho Beach Bag.

Lisa

Great idea. Is the t-shirt fabric strong enough on its own? Or will you have to line then?

I pick up my serger to day from Viking. I just need to be professional cleaned after all these years.

Great idea. Is the t-shirt fabric strong enough on its own? Or will you have to line then?

I pick up my serger to day from Viking. I just need to be professional cleaned after all these years.

They are both thick cotton, so no lining necessary. :) I will definitely be taking my Baby Lock in for a cleaning later this year. I just love my serger.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. It was recommended that I repost my question here. Has anyone made this wrap dress. If so did it stay pretty secure and did you dance in it.

Here is a link to where I posted a larger picture of it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2362936

I just brought this pattern the other day. Joann's had them on sale for $1.99. I also brought today M7405 and 7406 to add to my collection!

• 3 weeks later...

2e9ea544fdd0452914ba130a7486bbba.jpgf9c857b94da36f702a46142d7831360d.jpg

Good afternoon ladies! I am not sure if you know of this sewing tip: went to our local hardware store and purchased some heavy(ish) plastic and traced my pattern pieces on to that. It is not transparent but you can see through it. If it a pattern you use a lot , this is longer lasting than paper.

Have a great week, Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good afternoon ladies! I am not sure if you know of this sewing tip: went to our local hardware store and purchased some heavy(ish) plastic and traced my pattern pieces on to that. It is not transparent but you can see through it. If it a pattern you use a lot , this is longer lasting than paper.

Have a great week, Sue

Will pass this on to my daughter who re-uses patterns for her daughter.

Have a great week, Sue

Great idea. What are you making? I love the fabric.

I am making a scrub top for work. I am a registered Veterinary Technician at a small animal practice and always on the lookout for fun fabric. Purchased this batik when we were cruising to Hawaii 2 yrs ago

I am making a scrub top for work. I am a registered Veterinary Technician at a small animal practice and always on the lookout for fun fabric. Purchased this batik when we were cruising to Hawaii 2 yrs ago

I really like the turtle fabric. It will make a great scrub top.

Got bored today so I decided to get some of my material out and make a skirt. I have a red k it blouse that has gotten too short so I made the skirt to go over it.bi have a nice black elastic belt to go with them.

Hopefully the pictures worked on here

Have a great evening

Gerry

image.jpg.65bf8e87250e88cdd5c9286d7eef9473.jpg

It looks like only the one with the shirt worked. I will try the other one again. I tried 3 different times

and it just isn't going to upload the one of the skirt by itself. Sorry. You will get an idea

of the material by looking behind the red shirt.

It is just a gathered waist A-line skirt with pockets. My husband even likes how it looked once I put the belt on with it.

Have a great evening,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA