Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I got the fabric to make a new swim suit this week. I got some silvery gray and a small black/gray/white stripe. I also got fabric to make DH some running pants (since I'm making him work out with me) for Christmas.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas!

Will your DH wear things you sew for him? Mine isn't keen ... I made him pj pants and he will wear those but he's not interested in much else. Have you picked out your swimsuit pattern?

I'm happy to report that my swim suit made it though the cruise including time in the water in rough seas. That pattern is really good and easy, but the ruching at the back was a bit overwhelming when wet.

Happy New Year!

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas!

Will your DH wear things you sew for him? Mine isn't keen ... I made him pj pants and he will wear those but he's not interested in much else. Have you picked out your swimsuit pattern?

I'm happy to report that my swim suit made it though the cruise including time in the water in rough seas. That pattern is really good and easy, but the ruching at the back was a bit overwhelming when wet.

Happy New Year!

He will wear what I make for him. He figures if I can take the time and effort, he will wear it. The last thing I made him was an Hawaiian-style shirt with beer bottle print. Kind of gaudy, but he liked it and it suited his personality.

I have picked out my pattern. It's an out of print Simplicity that I got over the summer. It has both bikini and tankini top options as well as two bottom options. I plan to make all four pieces.

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning ladies! Ok, I would like your input,suggestions about fabric selection. We will be going to Europe this August on a British Isle Cruise. Thinking of trying to pack light (allowed two pieces of luggage each but do no want to be lugging that much around while we visit a few places pre and post cruise) I am looking to perhaps make a few items that I could wash/rinse in the sink, hang to dry overnight. Underware, tops and casual pants are what I am thinking of. With Celebrity changing their formal night to evening chic, DH will not need to pack a jacket but I would like to acquire a pattern or directions to make some shirts with a hidden button placket that I could perhaps get some embellishment done on to make it a bit fancy. Thank you ladies, and have a great week! Sue

Good morning ladies! Ok, I would like your input,suggestions about fabric selection. We will be going to Europe this August on a British Isle Cruise. Thinking of trying to pack light (allowed two pieces of luggage each but do no want to be lugging that much around while we visit a few places pre and post cruise) I am looking to perhaps make a few items that I could wash/rinse in the sink, hang to dry overnight. Underware, tops and casual pants are what I am thinking of. With Celebrity changing their formal night to evening chic, DH will not need to pack a jacket but I would like to acquire a pattern or directions to make some shirts with a hidden button placket that I could perhaps get some embellishment done on to make it a bit fancy. Thank you ladies, and have a great week! Sue

Would this hepl? I love Threads Magazine. Lots of good info.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/32382/how-to-make-a-hidden-button-placket/page/all

Edited by geocruiser

Good morning! That Threads article is just what I need!! thank you so much. I have recently subscribed to Threads and will do a search for other ideas. Have a great weekend everyone

Sue >M<

I get Threads mag in the mail and I all so subcribed to Threads insiders. Have you used Pattern Review?

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

I have sewn 2 different sunny dresses for my sisters. I have 2 more to sew. One is pinned and ready to go. Then I should sew something for myself. I leave in 15 days. Sew... I better get going. The neat thing is that they all are different. I did a maxi dress that ties at the shoulders. The other is like a t-shirt dress with split sleeves and has a belt. The one I have pinned ready to sew is over one shoulder maxi dress. And the next will be a standard tank top style maxi dress. Me and my 4 sisters are going and it will be neat that we all will be wearing something I made. Very excited about it. And I did it with no patterns. Just followed some videos and voila! Wish me luck on meeting my deadline.

12516585_1728734124025066_1403626609_n.jpg.c1366d32e9ea8f2e5e586f847cbfc684.jpg

12512112_10207700018711060_871560422_n.jpg.3b94281daf7855b838276d942cd74a01.jpg

I have sewn 2 different sunny dresses for my sisters. I have 2 more to sew. One is pinned and ready to go. Then I should sew something for myself. I leave in 15 days. Sew... I better get going. The neat thing is that they all are different. I did a maxi dress that ties at the shoulders. The other is like a t-shirt dress with split sleeves and has a belt. The one I have pinned ready to sew is over one shoulder maxi dress. And the next will be a standard tank top style maxi dress. Me and my 4 sisters are going and it will be neat that we all will be wearing something I made. Very excited about it. And I did it with no patterns. Just followed some videos and voila! Wish me luck on meeting my deadline.

WOW! That is a lot of sewing. The dress look great. How do you tied the neck?

WOW! That is a lot of sewing. The dress look great. How do you tied the neck?

On the orange striped dress I sewed the string to the ends of the top of the dress to keep the strings from bunching up in front of the neck. So the ties stay on the shoulders and don't bunch around the neck. I think if I would have used a heavier cord i wouldn't have had the bunching problem. But when she tried it on it bunched in the front and back. But after i sewed the string to cord hole area the dress laid very nice on her. I also made sure there was a slit in the back at the seam so that she could walk and sit comfortably. Unfortunately the dress is a little see-through so she will use it as a swim suite cover.

On the orange striped dress I sewed the string to the ends of the top of the dress to keep the strings from bunching up in front of the neck. So the ties stay on the shoulders and don't bunch around the neck. I think if I would have used a heavier cord i wouldn't have had the bunching problem. But when she tried it on it bunched in the front and back. But after i sewed the string to cord hole area the dress laid very nice on her. I also made sure there was a slit in the back at the seam so that she could walk and sit comfortably. Unfortunately the dress is a little see-through so she will use it as a swim suite cover.

Would a slip work with the dress?

Saw several women wearing those flowy pants on casual night on our last cruise and decided to make some before next cruise.

I bought some fabulous rayon material when we lived in Hawaii and thought that it would be perfect to use.

The only problem is that it is all cut into squares for a queen quilt. ( I bought it that way)

So I am matching up the squares so that I can sew them all together to make the pants.

Here are a few pics of the squares and then one of the strips I have already seen together. There are two main designs but I am only using this one.

What does everyone think, is it going to look ok?

ImageUploadedByForums1454033355.162502.jpg.9c052d3d92a8495c31076edd352917ee.jpg

Have a great evening

Gerry

ImageUploadedByForums1454033330.430544.jpg.00121324fb9782569791ac97a48fa76c.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1454033342.979989.jpg.9f908172f01cd44ee65b0a51f18e9e65.jpg

I actually have no idea how to attach pics here :confused:

But if you're really curious, I was blogging at the time (haven't in about a year now) and did put up some pics on my blog...

http://googiemomma.blogspot.com/2013/10/that-green-dress.html

The dress looks amazing , loved your blog. Very brave of you to make your own pattern for something formal.

I have drafted patterns for dance costumes but tend to mix and match bits from patterns for stuff myself. I love to see what others have done.

Edited by latin princess

Saw several women wearing those flowy pants on casual night on our last cruise and decided to make some before next cruise.

I bought some fabulous rayon material when we lived in Hawaii and thought that it would be perfect to use.

The only problem is that it is all cut into squares for a queen quilt. ( I bought it that way)

So I am matching up the squares so that I can sew them all together to make the pants.

Here are a few pics of the squares and then one of the strips I have already seen together. There are two main designs but I am only using this one.

[ATTACH]374855[/ATTACH][ATTACH]374856[/ATTACH][ATTACH]374857[/ATTACH]

Have a great evening

Gerry

I think it will look amazing and quite unique. a lot of work to ' make" your own fabric but worth it by the looks of it

Edited by latin princess

[ATTACH]374855[/ATTACH][ATTACH]374856[/ATTACH][ATTACH]374857[/ATTACH]

Have a great evening

Gerry

Gerry,

Will all the seams effect the flow of the pants? I think the fabric is beautiful.

Hi all these are the dresses I made for may last cruise in September

12033029_10156030731085702_6788308575182619321_n%201.jpg

12072790_10156030731060702_5324496750201575418_n.jpg

11888030_10155893729240702_4607200556816470575_n.jpg

11904701_10155893729325702_1202630849577231116_n.jpg

I also made the underskirts to go under both dresses

Currently working on two sailor type tops in navy ( with pale blue and white collar) and pale blue (with navy and white collar) and navy trousers and navy jacket. May make pale blue trouser but not sure yet- all in crepe. Also looking at navy jacket and may make some shorts too. All for 3 night cruise in May.

Also in process of making a bag for my sister a bit like this one I made for myself last week

12507350_10156340474425702_2296776064259418361_n.jpg

10400481_10156340474360702_219659447397758419_n.jpg

latin princess,

WOW! You are a great sewer. I love the dresses and the bag. Where did you get the pattern for the sailor blouse?

Thanks

the pattern came free with a magazine buts its a butterick one number B6185

http://butterick.mccall.com/b6185-products-49581.php?page_id=147

Love sewing. Have done it since about 7. Made dance costumes and tutus for my daughter in the past, recently started sewing for myself. Spent today making a blouse trying out my new overlocker- Love it

Thanks

the pattern came free with a magazine buts its a butterick one number B6185

http://butterick.mccall.com/b6185-products-49581.php?page_id=147

Love sewing. Have done it since about 7. Made dance costumes and tutus for my daughter in the past, recently started sewing for myself. Spent today making a blouse trying out my new overlocker- Love it

I like the blouse pattern. What over lock machine do you have. I have a Viking and a White. I love seewing with them. The Viking is the one I like better.

I like the blouse pattern. What over lock machine do you have. I have a Viking and a White. I love seewing with them. The Viking is the one I like better.
. I have a brother 3034d overlockeI also have 3 sewing machines including the singer quantum stylist 9960 plus an original singer and a Toyota. Edited by latin princess

. I have a brother 3034d overlockeI also have 3 sewing machines including the singer quantum stylist 9960 plus an original singer and a Toyota.

All my machines except one serger are Viking. Two of my sewing machines are embroidery machine.

I love my machines and can't seem to part with an old one, when I buy a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening fellow sewists,

I have ben busy all weekend with the granddaughters. They have been here for the last 9 days and nights. My DDIL was in the hospital having open heart surgery so my son has spent every waking hour with her. She came home today and tomorrow the girls will go back home because of school.

I have also managed to make 3 dresses and little shorts to match for the 3 little girls for the cruise in June. They really turned out cute. I made them out of seersucker. The purple one is for the oldest of the 3, the blue is for the middle one and the little one gets the pink and green, since that is her favorite color.

This week I will be going back to finishing up my pants that I started (the floral squares). Hopefully I can finish them this week.

I bought a bunch of material at Joann's this weekend with the big sale that they had. After I finish all of the sewing for the cruise I will be making 2 housecoats. One for me and one for my daughter.

We are surprising our Daughter and SIL with a vow renewal on the cruise in June for their 23rd wedding anniversary so I bought the pattern for her dress this weekend. I already have the material so I will be working on that in the very near future.

Hope everyone has a great week sewing,

Gerry