Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I have finished a bag for my sister. Like the one I posted earlier but plain navy no spots or checks. I have made a plain navy long sleeve blouse and a navy no sleeves one with a double collar in powder blue and navy. Have fun out navy trousers too match. Will then make a powder blue top with navy and power blue. Collar to mix and match.

Bought red fantastic with white flowers and same in navy to make two shift dresses 1960s style. Blue with with spot to make another and plain red to make a Jacket. Busy few months I think.

!meanwhile knitting throws/ blankets for both my grown up kids. Daughters to match her lounge and sons in his. Ice hockey teams co!ours. Also knitting hand puppets to put in shoe boxes for kids in troubled coy tries for Christmas oh and working full time as well

I have sewn 2 different sunny dresses for my sisters. I have 2 more to sew. One is pinned and ready to go. Then I should sew something for myself. I leave in 15 days. Sew... I better get going. The neat thing is that they all are different. I did a maxi dress that ties at the shoulders. The other is like a t-shirt dress with split sleeves and has a belt. The one I have pinned ready to sew is over one shoulder maxi dress. And the next will be a standard tank top style maxi dress. Me and my 4 sisters are going and it will be neat that we all will be wearing something I made. Very excited about it. And I did it with no patterns. Just followed some videos and voila! Wish me luck on meeting my deadline.

Well, I finished the other 2 dresses in time. I didn't get good pictures of the green stripped dress. And she wore it with her swim suite. But it's still cute. And my other sister's straps are not matching in width. LOL.

12695834_10207883929748721_1712047737_n.jpg.06f854277bb2238caad1809a7a97caae.jpg

12695726_10207883930148731_528277177_n.jpg.af926d6aba2cffdd1d51e71f7963c8d2.jpg

1436398417_Cassiefront.jpg.2ac42164621dfccd560293eade16e2d8.jpg

1775673594_cassieback.jpg.3b61d8f253a4c55c760db44c6dfe9b37.jpg

I am thinking of making some skirts. I am hard to fit, with a small waist and larger hips, so it is hard for me to find a well-fitting skirt. I to sew everything in my teen years, but have not done much recently, So I am out out of practice. I thin kI'll try one and see how I do before buying fabric for more

I am thinking of making some skirts. I am hard to fit, with a small waist and larger hips, so it is hard for me to find a well-fitting skirt. I to sew everything in my teen years, but have not done much recently, So I am out out of practice. I thin kI'll try one and see how I do before buying fabric for more

I just came back to sewing last spring. It seems to be easier now than it was when we were in school. There are so many patterns, and the resources on the internet answer pretty much every question and demonstrate every technique. Good luck & let us know how it goes!

TNGALOHA

I hope your DDIL is doing well. The dresses are very cute.

chrissyprincess,

Dresses came out great. Fun to wear things that you make.

JanineM,

I agree that it is easier now than when in school to sews. The machines are so much better now to use.

I bought fabric to make either palazzo type pants or a maxi skirt, one with a wide elastic waist band. I haven't sewn knit before though! I bought the knit needles, any other tricks?

On the back of most patterns envelope's there is a guide for knits, that shows the amount of stretch need for the knit to work with the pattern. It will be a straight line and you are to stretch the fabric to the length of the line. Ex. four inches of fabric would need to stretch to 5 inches. Some thing like that.

I bought fabric to make either palazzo type pants or a maxi skirt, one with a wide elastic waist band. I haven't sewn knit before though! I bought the knit needles, any other tricks?

Do you have a serger? Sergers make sewing the seams with the stretch necessary much easier. If you don't, I think they generally advise sewing knits with a zig zag stitch.

I went into my local Hancock Fabrics store today to find a huge sign in front saying "Store Closing"..."Everything must go...30-50% off everything." I was told that there were 33? stores closing.

What they have done is to pull back the sales price of everything...so all non-clearance fabric is ONLY 30% off, which really isn't a great deal. The great deals were on the sewing machines, which are 30% off. Decent deals on buttons at 40% off. Notions and threads are 30%.

Point being...it's a thing to watch as the prices go down for anything that is of interest, if your area store is closing also.

I've just learned to sew knits and it's actually easier than I expected.

You will want to use your knit or a ballpoint needle, and as Anita Latte mentioned, a small zig zag stitch. At my knits class they suggested a 1mm x 1mm stitch. Do you have a walking foot? If you do, use it. This helps to keep the fabric from pulling.

You will want to use your knit or a ballpoint needle, and as Anita Latte mentioned, a small zig zag stitch. At my knits class they suggested a 1mm x 1mm stitch. Do you have a walking foot? If you do, use it. This helps to keep the fabric from pulling.

This is wonderful info! Thanks.

Thanks for the tips! I *think* I have a walking foot, but I'll go look. I bought the ballpoint needles. I watched a quick video too. I haven't started yet, but I don't think I want to get a serger just yet for how little I do. However, my son wants me to help make cosplay costumes too so maybe in the long run it will help to have it.

I watched a video on an interlock machine, and that looks awesome but way out of my price range!

Thanks for the tips! I *think* I have a walking foot, but I'll go look. I bought the ballpoint needles. I watched a quick video too. I haven't started yet, but I don't think I want to get a serger just yet for how little I do. However, my son wants me to help make cosplay costumes too so maybe in the long run it will help to have it.

I watched a video on an interlock machine, and that looks awesome but way out of my price range!

My JoAnns just got a line of fabric that is called "Cosplay fabrics by YayaHan.com". They are very very cool!! I ended up finding it because I was looking for a cool brocade for a waistcoat for my son for prom. They are pricy but you can always make a plan and use the coupons! (Fortunately I had a special 60% off coupon to use on the brocade.)

Hi everyone!

Well I'm going to try to make a bathing suit coverup. The ones I like are all so crazy expensive! I found a fabric at Hancocks that is sort of like netting with lace at the edge, and at $7.99 a yard (less 25%) it's cheap enough for a possible disaster. Last year I made a very simple sleeveless dress so am going to dive in.

What's everyone else working on?

Janine

I'm a sewingaholic !! Lol. I made several short sets, a couple of COVERUPS, several shift type dresses, and 2 dressier dresses. I really don't need an excuse to sew. I'm so sick I've been researching fabric stores at the ports!! Lol. I wish we were going on the same cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sewing for just under two years now. I make clothes for dancing and 1940's/vintage weekends. I hope to wear some of my creations on our first cruise in October this year.

http://butterick.mccall.com/b4790-products-6089.php?page_id=371

Here is my version of this dress:

2f679e53-ef3d-4d2d-b059-1e44fa35984d.jpg

I made a little bolero to go with it as I don't like having bare arms.

We don't have any good fabric shops nearby so I buy quite a lot of my fabric from Ebay.

Edited by firstmate63

I've been sewing for just under two years now. I make clothes for dancing and 1940's/vintage weekends. I hope to wear some of my creations on our first cruise in October this year.

We don't have any good fabric shops nearby so I buy quite a lot of my fabric from Ebay.

It looks great on you. I have the same pattern, but have not made it yet. I brought black and white checkered fabric and red binding for the dress. Did you have to change the pattern at all?

Very cute! I like your fabric choices.

That looks like a dress sewn on the Great British Sewing Bee. It's a great style. Did you have to bind around all the edges?

I had to make an adjustment because the dress would not fasten at the waist, it was too tight! So I made a temporary 'belt' piece which just attaches to the poppers. Hopefully I'll lose enough weight so I'll be able to fasten it as it was intended.

Janine - yes it's from the Great British Sewing Bee, this programme and a friend inspired me to start sewing, and yes I had to sew binding all the way around. Instead of fastening the 'peacock' section with a button I used the binding and made ties so it can be adjusted to my weight/size.

Edited by firstmate63

Here is the most recent vintage dress I made:

c5c51e11-043a-4d0c-9957-a9284a561a15.jpg

I'm hoping to make a short sleeve one in air force blue with a 'wings' decoration.

I also want to have a go at making jackets with some material from my stash. I just need to learn/practice how to do buttonholes.

I'm going on a med cruise in October this year. I read in a previous post about someone who buys fabric whilst on their travels. Could anyone advise the best places to look for fabric in, Naples, Sardinia, Barcelona or Gibralter. Thank you.

I'm going on a med cruise in October this year. I read in a previous post about someone who buys fabric whilst on their travels. Could anyone advise the best places to look for fabric in, Naples, Sardinia, Barcelona or Gibralter. Thank you.

I don't know where to buy fabrics in any of those places, but you may want to check at patternreview.com . There are fabric store reviews and it's a pretty international group.

We're going to London in a few weeks and I'm definitely fabric shopping! Liberty and the Cloth House are on my list so far :)