Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I think I want to make a new swim suit for our next cruise. I need to get my sewing friend to help me tailor to adjust the pattern for my middle aged belly. Dang, I wish I could buckle down and lose some weight.

I ordered fabric last week for a swimsuit and am hoping it arrives before the holiday so I can work on it over the 4 day weekend. I have the Closet Case Bombshell pattern and the reviews say it is quite easy. It does have ruching along the sides on front & back so I'm hoping that hides some sins :)

http://www.store.closetcasefiles.com/products/bombshell-swimsuit

I ordered fabric last week for a swimsuit and am hoping it arrives before the holiday so I can work on it over the 4 day weekend. I have the Closet Case Bombshell pattern and the reviews say it is quite easy. It does have ruching along the sides on front & back so I'm hoping that hides some sins :)

http://www.store.closetcasefiles.com/products/bombshell-swimsuit

Nice. What color or print are you using? I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-S0828-Sew-Pattern-Women-Ruched-Tankini-One-Piece-Swimsuit-Cover-up-/141816232093?var=&hash=item2104e7f89d:m:mp4yfB0snWH0iQxIwfZyxnA

I'm not sure what color I want to use, but I'm thinking a small pattern if any.

Nice. What color or print are you using? I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-S0828-Sew-Pattern-Women-Ruched-Tankini-One-Piece-Swimsuit-Cover-up-/141816232093?var=&hash=item2104e7f89d:m:mp4yfB0snWH0iQxIwfZyxnA

I'm not sure what color I want to use, but I'm thinking a small pattern if any.

Fabric arrived yesterday!

Here is a link: Fabric Mart Neon Pink/Yellow/Multi

The print is bigger than I expected. I should have really looked at the pictures more closely. But it will be good for a first effort, and I like this print better than anything I see in RTW! This particular fabric is quite heavy, which I am happy about because it will keep bumps and jiggles in place.

I like your pattern. Do you have your fabric yet?

Making the top. The back say cut two pieces. I don't want a seam in the back because of the pattern. So I am going to do it on a fold, and take out the center seam allowance. What do you think?

Is there any shaping or anything that would prevent you from cutting it on the fold?

Do you ever check patternreview.com ? Could be that someone over there has made your pattern and has tried the same thing?

Is there any shaping or anything that would prevent you from cutting it on the fold?

Do you ever check patternreview.com ? Could be that someone over there has made your pattern and has tried the same thing?

No shape that I can see. I made this top before so I look at the one I have. Looks like it can be done. I love Pattern review. Use it all the time.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61blxcS5ITL._SL1142_.jpg view C

http://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Sewing-Pattern-4134-XXS-XS-S-M/dp/B000MU1NHC

Edited by geocruiser

Yay! Have you gotten started yet?

I need to go through my fabric stashes. That is, if I can find them. I saw one box, but DH just kind of shoved everything into the bonus room when we moved, so I'm not sure where it all is.

Yay! Have you gotten started yet?

I need to go through my fabric stashes. That is, if I can find them. I saw one box, but DH just kind of shoved everything into the bonus room when we moved, so I'm not sure where it all is.

Doesnt it make you crazy when you know you have something, but it will take an hour to find it?

I haven't started the bathing suit yet. I'm thinking about entering pattern review's 'new to you pattern company' contest so if I do that I can't start til Dec 1. I am a sucker for a contest, even if I have no chance of winning! :p

I finished a top last night, and then have some crafty things for Christmas. Too many projects on my list, but I love it!

Does anyone else have holiday projects they are working on?

I just love the bathing suit patterns. so cute.

I started to put together the top, and the back looked a little large. Sure enough it was. I want the back of the top to have no seam. I knew what to do but still did it wrong. I cut it on the fold, but left the center seam allowance in. So, now I am going to recut it in the AM. Oh darn!!:eek:

I just love the bathing suit patterns. so cute.

I started to put together the top, and the back looked a little large. Sure enough it was. I want the back of the top to have no seam. I knew what to do but still did it wrong. I cut it on the fold, but left the center seam allowance in. So, now I am going to recut it in the AM. Oh darn!!:eek:

Frustrating, eh? Fortunately that one's an easy fix! I've done the alternate - cutting the fold line :(

I'm rethinking my pattern choice for the bathing suit. The print is so much bigger than I expected so it's back to the fabric store. But not today. No Black Friday madness for me :) I went through my patterns and fabric so have a project I can start this evening.

Happy weekend, and long weekend for the Americans!

Here is a link: Fabric Mart Neon Pink/Yellow/Multi

The print is bigger than I expected. I should have really looked at the pictures more closely. But it will be good for a first effort, and I like this print better than anything I see in RTW! This particular fabric is quite heavy, which I am happy about because it will keep bumps and jiggles in place.

Your fabric is wonderful. Love the color.

So yesterday I took stock of all of the sewing I want to do prior to our holiday cruise.

• A skirt for evenings (half way through)
  • Two different Colette Sorbetto tops (so fast, so cute - about 2.5 hours start to finish)
  • The bathing suit, which will likely eat up two weeks
  • Then I decided to sew a few crafty things as Christmas gifts
  • And I have patterns for hats for the cats - knitted hats. Crazy yes, but wouldn't Santa hats be precious?

I went over to Hancocks for the Black Friday sales and held myself to buying just some quilting cotton for gifts and a pattern.

Is anyone else sewing for Christmas/the holidays?

Now that I am done with all my Christmas shopping I can get my wreaths done today and then a lot of sewing/embroidery will be done for gifts.

Happy sewing everyone,

Gerry

You are DONE with your shopping! Congratulations! :D

I wrote up a list today, and am going to do some Cyber Monday shopping after dinner. But everything I put on my list is for me :p

Been busy making sunglass cases with embroidery designs on them and making kitchen towel and pot holder sets. I have also made 3 decorated mesh wreaths to give to the neighbors, still have 2 left to make.

One of my friends has an Australian Shephard so on the towel set and sunglass case I embroidered a picture of the dog on them. On one the sunglass case the dog looks just like hers. The towel set came out a little darker than her dog.

My oldest daughter is a big Olaf fan so I embroidered Olaf on the beach on her towel set and sunglass case.

My moms set has Lotus blooms on it. They all came out really cute.

I still have 3 more towel sets to go to be finished.

I am really enjoying my new embroidery machine.

I am hoping to be done by Wed. so I can go to Joann's and get some material and a pattern for my granddaughter to sew on Sat. while she is here. She really likes sewing and can sit for hours and concentrate on what she is making. Which is amazing considering she has a severe case of ADHD.

Sewing is the only activity we have found that she will do that with. So I will make sure when she is here to have things she can work on.

It helps that she loves to sew as much as she does.

Hope everyone has a great week,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

Gerry, you've been busy and are doing beautiful work! How wonderful that your granddaughter is enjoying sewing. Nice to have something that you two can share. I read something the other day about sewing and mindfulness. Maybe it's the rhythm of the machine that reduces anxiety?

Did you get a new embroidery machine? I'm getting one for Christmas and it is actually in my kitchen but I won't have time to touch it until the bathing suit is done :)

Gerry, you've been busy and are doing beautiful work! How wonderful that your granddaughter is enjoying sewing. Nice to have something that you two can share. I read something the other day about sewing and mindfulness. Maybe it's the rhythm of the machine that reduces anxiety?

Did you get a new embroidery machine? I'm getting one for Christmas and it is actually in my kitchen but I won't have time to touch it until the bathing suit is done :)

Do you know the make of your new machine? Or is a supirse and wrapped up?

I am going to try to post pics of Miss Mali sewing last sat. on her self designed outfit.

Sorry I wasn't able to upload them on this post but did on the next one.

Have a great day everyone,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

ImageUploadedByForums1449609387.189204.jpg.4837f14de0b260fcc793b4ff265ae17c.jpg

Miss Mali working on her outfit. She didn't have a pattern to make either the top or the bottom

ImageUploadedByForums1449609472.557899.jpg.7317477ff93bd27442e926d7d9bc57cd.jpg

Her finished outfit.

I think she did a pretty good job.

Have a great day everyone.

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

[ATTACH]370591[/ATTACH]

Miss Mali working on her outfit. She didn't have a pattern to make either the top or the bottom

[ATTACH]370592[/ATTACH]

Her finished outfit.

I think she did a pretty good job.

Have a great day everyone.

Gerry

She is very cute and a good sewer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sewers,

Just finished packing my bag for our holiday cruise. I managed to complete the bathing suit and I'm hoping DH doesn't cringe when he sees it. The actual sewing was so much easier than I expected! Most was done on my regular machine with a walking foot. I did wind up serging the main seams, but that wasn't really necessary. And in fact, it almost ruined the whole suit when I managed to hack off a chunk of the edge of the bodice with the blades. Very fortunately, there was a ton of fabric in the ruching so I just pulled some of that up. The bodice is really too long for short waisted me, but it's okay. I'll make it again (and have my eyes on a cute fabric at Hancocks), but next time I'll go without the gathers on the back. Seriously, it was not so bad at all! I'm going to enter the suit in the "New to Me" contest on Pattern Review, so will post photos over there - but only after I've gotten a bit of a tan ;) and maybe have set the camera to "slim" setting.

Last night I made up a little top (I believe my favourite cruise top is Colette Sorbetto - 2 pieces only), and it took me a grand total of 3 hours from setting the fabric on the table to cut, to final seam. Easy peasy!!

How did everyone's holiday projects work out?

Hope all the sewers have a peaceful Christmas. Best wishes for 2016!