Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

• 2 weeks later...

DH's beer bottle shirt is done except for the buttons/holes. I"m afraid to F that up, so my seamstress friend will help me. It looks pretty good. Next project is a wiiiiide brimmed hat out of tan linen to try to protect my delicate redhead skin from the hot Panama sun.

I used to buy outdated items from thrift stores like the salvation army for $3 and under and alter them to modern styles. I never used a pattern, just traced over clothing items I already owned and liked. (starch them like crazy before hand). It was way cheaper than buying fabric, patterns, etc. Now my closet is full and I will have to wait again to do this. There was a blogger who did this once a week with lots of inspirational ideas. I have forgotten the name of it though.

A serger is one thing I am missing, thankfully older clothes are mostly woven and not knit.

Hi ladies! So excited to have found this thread...

I'm a fairly avid seamstress, mainly for my 4 girls...but I'm finally starting to get over some of issues and make things for myself (besides basic skirts lol)

In Oct 2013 my husband and I went on a 15th anniversary cruise with 3 other couples. Us girls decided to get REALLY dolled up for the first formal night (since by the 2nd we'd probably be too fat for most everything lol) and I searched high and low for a gown...

I'm in my mid 30's, and I felt like everything I found was for either a teenagers junior prom, or the mother of the bride. add to that my particular shape (typical women's wear sizing I'm a 22/24 on top, 14 in the waist, 10/12 in the hips. I'm a bit of an upside down triangle)

So I made myself a gown, and it ranks as the project I'm most proud of ever.

Of course the stress of it was something else...haha, so for our upcoming family cruise I'm sticking to "formal gowns" for my 3 littlest girls, and some flowy long cover ups for me.

And on that note, I better get cracking...Only 13 days until we fly out!

Lovely to 'meet' you fellow seamstresses!

Hi ladies! So excited to have found this thread...

I'm a fairly avid seamstress, mainly for my 4 girls...but I'm finally starting to get over some of issues and make things for myself (besides basic skirts lol)

In Oct 2013 my husband and I went on a 15th anniversary cruise with 3 other couples. Us girls decided to get REALLY dolled up for the first formal night (since by the 2nd we'd probably be too fat for most everything lol) and I searched high and low for a gown...

I'm in my mid 30's, and I felt like everything I found was for either a teenagers junior prom, or the mother of the bride. add to that my particular shape (typical women's wear sizing I'm a 22/24 on top, 14 in the waist, 10/12 in the hips. I'm a bit of an upside down triangle)

So I made myself a gown, and it ranks as the project I'm most proud of ever.

Of course the stress of it was something else...haha, so for our upcoming family cruise I'm sticking to "formal gowns" for my 3 littlest girls, and some flowy long cover ups for me.

And on that note, I better get cracking...Only 13 days until we fly out!

Lovely to 'meet' you fellow seamstresses!

Picture of the dress, please!

I actually have no idea how to attach pics here :confused:

But if you're really curious, I was blogging at the time (haven't in about a year now) and did put up some pics on my blog...

http://googiemomma.blogspot.com/2013/10/that-green-dress.html

WOW!! Gorgeous dress! Good on you to make it in satin, too. Satin is NOT a forgiving fabric if you goof. Good job.

But if you're really curious, I was blogging at the time (haven't in about a year now) and did put up some pics on my blog...

I love your gown! That came out fabulous. I am a refashioner of thrift store finds and am a huge fan of refashionista.net. Is that the blogger you were referring to?

Lisa

WOW! great gown ..Love the color and looks wonderful on you.

I loved reading your blog! What a great story with a happy ending! You should be very proud of what you made - it looks great on you. I am too scared to try sewing a formal - but maybe someday. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you doing with your new serger?

I love the serger. I have been using is on refashions and it just makes everything so much nicer. A few weeks ago I made a cover for the serger with 4 thrift store quilted placemats. It was so easy to do with the serger.

The placemats

10888633_10205289613990747_7500610469264566805_n_zpsad4a8c00.jpg

Sewing them together

1509242_10205289615110775_4643866187233067566_n_zps8b8b5621.jpg

Finished Cover

10422594_10205289615350781_9028511641338530850_n_zpsd5817fcb.jpg

Lisa

I love the serger. I have been using is on refashions and it just makes everything so much nicer. A few weeks ago I made a cover for the serger with 4 thrift store quilted placemats. It was so easy to do with the serger.

The placemats

10888633_10205289613990747_7500610469264566805_n_zpsad4a8c00.jpg

Sewing them together

1509242_10205289615110775_4643866187233067566_n_zps8b8b5621.jpg

Finished Cover

10422594_10205289615350781_9028511641338530850_n_zpsd5817fcb.jpg

Lisa

Great idear and a beautiful cover. Keep on serging!

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon fellow sewers.

I have had a busy sewing week. I made a maxi dress, 2 pairs of shorts, and top, and a dress for casual night. The dress came out really nice and I even did some embellishments on the maxi dress.

I still need to make a small shoe holder to put our OTC meds and sewing kit, first aid kit and small incedentals in. I want it to be able to hang in the closet on the ship so it is out of the way and will roll up to pack.

I have pics of the 2 dresses and the top on my phone and I will try to post them on here.

ImageUploadedByForums1430607591.532742.jpg.d8da99f1ca4c01363eca45db302949a2.jpg

Hope everyone has a good week sewing.

Gerry

ImageUploadedByForums1430607539.463407.jpg.b027adc4f9f43b510a95098037cb3d90.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1430607556.396600.jpg.ddcebfd2109eb3fafffe21f704b6ca7b.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1430607569.230518.jpg.2f87a61dfa3deb4b019701a80d379e43.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1430607580.696772.jpg.4cf5b8a69c4c56625d27a1db18e0cc13.jpg

Edited by TNGALOHA

Good afternoon fellow sewers.

I have had a busy sewing week. I made a maxi dress, 2 pairs of shorts, and top, and a dress for casual night. The dress came out really nice and I even did some embellishments on the maxi dress.

I still need to make a small shoe holder to put our OTC meds and sewing kit, first aid kit and small incedentals in. I want it to be able to hang in the closet on the ship so it is out of the way and will roll up to pack.

I have pics of the 2 dresses and the top on my phone and I will try to post them on here.

[ATTACH]348026[/ATTACH][ATTACH]348027[/ATTACH][ATTACH]348028[/ATTACH][ATTACH]348029[/ATTACH][ATTACH]348030[/ATTACH]

Hope everyone has a good week sewing.

Gerry

WOW! have you been busy. They came out great.

I love the fabrics you used.

All the sewers out there, what are you working on? I will start a pair of pants soon.. We just had a move so, I have not had a chance to sew.

I was working on an evening dress for our September cruise. When I had it mostly assembled, I realized the fabric just didn't work in that pattern, at least not on me. Disappointing, but sometimes that's just how it goes!

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you geocruiser. I have been trying to get some things mad so that I can clean some of this material up and out. I have enough material to open my open sewing store. :eek:

JDinWA, I know what you mean. I have done that a few times.

I have 4 grandchildren graduating this year. 3 from high school and 1 from preschool so I started on their gifts last night. They are graduation leis.

ImageUploadedByForums1430662148.592692.jpg.2ee61d0771411a1075720a90a217701b.jpg

Hope everyone has a good sewing day,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

I was working on an evening dress for our September cruise. When I had it mostly assembled, I realized the fabric just didn't work in that pattern, at least not on me. Disappointing, but sometimes that's just how it goes!

I know the feeling. I did a pair of pants over the winter. Just way too big. I never finished then. Gave them to a friend. Now I don't know if I should try them again.

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you geocruiser. I have been trying to get some things mad so that I can clean some of this material up and out. I have enough material to open my open sewing store. :eek:

JDinWA, I know what you mean. I have done that a few times.

I have 4 grandchildren graduating this year. 3 from high school and 1 from preschool so I started on their gifts last night. They are graduation leis.

[ATTACH]348091[/ATTACH]

Hope everyone has a good sewing day,

Gerry

The Graduation leis are beautiful. They will love them.

I did try to make this over the winter. size 18 came out way to big. I gave them to a friend to finish. Now I want to try to make them again in a smaller size. I think they would be great for a cruise.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6968-products-48447.php?page_id=111&search_control=display&list=search

View F. I think I will try size 14. The finished width around the hips is about 60 inches. That would give me 9 inches extra to make the tie. Will have to go shopping in my basement for fabric. Like every sewer, we have a fabric store in our homes.

Geocruiser,

Thank you, I really hope they so. I am making the ribbons and the paper flowers in their school colors.

Those are so neat looking. They look so comfy.

I have found with sewing the sizes aren't any where the same as what we buy in the store. It is like the shorts I made last week-I wear a size 12 usually so I made the shorts in a 14, allowing for room if I needed to take them up, well they were so small I can't get above my knees! I guess my daughter has a new pair of shorts. (she wears a size 2)

Gerry