Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Ok - sorry to post so much but I couldn't wait to share the project I finished today! I finished the swimsuit I told you I was working on. I used this Kwik Sew pattern

image_zpsc940fc89.jpg

and it was so easy. This was my time using Kwik Sew and I was very impressed with the detailed instructions and diagrams. I was able to lengthen the top, lengthen the skirt, and make the bottoms cover everything they're supposed to cover. Finally - a swim suit that actually fits. I will definitely be using this pattern again. I paid less than $20 (with a coupon) for the fabric, which I got at Hancock Fabrics. The pattern was around $12 I think. I wasn't able to find them on sale but I think it was worth it. Since it was my first time, I followed the pattern as it is. I was worried about the support on top, but I think it is fine. The only thing I changed, was to leave an opening in the lining on each side of the bust so that I can slide in the foam inserts from another swim suit. I'm glad I did because they definitely help with support/coverage. Here's a pic - I can't belive I'm sharing this - LOL.

image_zps0f0fac79.jpg

Next up is another swim suit. I made this swim skirt from a pair of men's board shorts that I got at the thrift store...

image_zpsb21210b7.jpg

Less than $5 and SO easy! I want to make more. Anyway, so I am going to sew a navy top to go with it. Here's the pattern I got (also Kwik Sew)

image_zps50911e9f.jpg

I'm going to cut it off and make it a tankini top, instead of a one-piece. I'll either add the flounce, or maybe some fabric flowers along the top. I'm going to try adding a shelf bra and molded cups, which will be a first for me. But other than that, it looks pretty easy.

Sorry for the HUGE pictures - I know there should be a way to size them down but I can't figure it out.

WOW. I don't post much on this thread...but I have posted a couple times. I just have to say EXCELLENT job on the swim suit! Thanks for sharing...I know that's not easy to do. It looks great, very flattering...totally fun fabric you found too!

And I'm in awe of the idea of the skirt out of the board shorts!! I've never seen that before and I'm in love with this idea! How do you plan to use this skirt? Lovin' the skirt with pockets!! I'm a big fan of pockets! Could you please elaborate on how you did the repurpose on the board shorts? I regularly stop in Goodwill around here and I would definitely attempt this.

I have a general idea, but would also love to know specifically how to make a skirt from board shorts. I have a cover-up skirt exactly like this that I LOVE, but have never seen another like it. If I knew how to make one, it would. Make. My. Day!

Edited by aoknkentucky

I've been using Kwik Sew patterns for about 10 years and it's my experience that they don't go on sale. I've gotten almost every skate dress and swim suit pattern from the same 10 years. I might have to make a new suit for my next cruise (133 days, but who's counting?)

I met my seamstress as a skating friend. She's been sewing for years and takes extensive measurements before she starts. Almost everything she makes fits perfectly. It's funny, we have nearly identical measurements, so she tries on what she makes me. If it fits her, it usually fits me. I find patterns I like and then look for fabric. She gives me advice. Matter of fact, we're going to look at fabric for our next cruise on Saturday.

Wow. All you talented folks impress the heck out of me. I tried to hem a skirt once and sewed it to the arm of my couch. True story.

That said, I have lost well over 100 lbs. I have some amazing formal dresses not easy to replace and a bit costly. After looking over this thread I got the idea to go the alterations lady down the street. Wow. For less than the cost of one dress she took in all three, plus a pair of formal pants and hemmed a pair of yoga pants for me. She is amazing.

Thanks for the bright idea. I sure wish I'd been taught to sew when I was young.

Thanks everyone for the replies! The skirt from board shorts was SO easy - I would definitely recommend it for a quick and cheap project. And so many of the men's suits have patterns that work great for women too. The pockets are a bonus too - don't find those on a ladies suit! I just plan to wear the skirt over plain bottoms. I only wear suits with skirts because I don't like my thighs after losing 70+ lbs. so this gives me another option other than the store-bought tankini.

I'll post a link below to the youtube tutorial I used

Board shorts to skirt tutorial

Happy sewing!

Thanks Kim for sharing the link. Seems pretty straight forward. I will definitely be making myself a board skirt. Or two. Or three. :)

And somehow...I have the feeling I might be making a few for friends too...:D

Great! Glad I could share. It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PurpleHays,

Do you pick your pattern first or see fabric that you like and then get the pattern?

Usually, I pick the pattern first. I have occasionally found an awesome piece of fabric that I just *had* to have, so I got it first. I have a piece of wool that I got on sale long before I found the coat pattern for it. Same with the boucle I have--and even that I keep changing my mind about what I want to make out of it. Do I want a sheath and jacket or skirt and jacket? Decisions, decisions. . .:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I think I've decided on this for my next cruise formal night. I'm a red head, lean toward cool colors. Slightly overweight (I have a belly, but every where else is muscular). Ideas for fabric/color/print vs solid? I'm thinking view B.

http://butterick.mccall.com/b4343-products-4977.php?page_id=152

Gorgeous dress. I'm seeing this in seafoam, turquoise, or peacock blue solid. I think the lines of the dress will be missed with a print. A matte jersey or flowy jersey would look fabulous. With that kind of fabric, be sure to wear an under slip. I would make another dress in lining material then have the jersey over it to "skim" over the body and it wouldn't bunch or cling to your tummy, etc. You could attach the lining garment at the neck if you want.

Holey that is stunning. My mom always said if you make the outfit in the same colour and fabric as they show it on the envelope then you can't go wrong. So black.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by kluv2cruz

Gorgeous dress. I'm seeing this in seafoam, turquoise, or peacock blue solid. I think the lines of the dress will be missed with a print. A matte jersey or flowy jersey would look fabulous. With that kind of fabric, be sure to wear an under slip. I would make another dress in lining material then have the jersey over it to "skim" over the body and it wouldn't bunch or cling to your tummy, etc. You could attach the lining garment at the neck if you want.

Peacock blue! My favorite color is purple (duh) and my second favorite is the blue family. I also thought about a silvery color. And the dress is lined. It calls for light weights--charmeuse/crepe types. I'd love to find a tone-on-tone subtle print.

I already have a black cocktail and formal, so I was going for another color. Plus, I want to make DH a matching/coordinating bowtie and vest. That's one reason thought about a brocade-type.

Peacock blue! My favorite color is purple (duh) and my second favorite is the blue family. I also thought about a silvery color. And the dress is lined. It calls for light weights--charmeuse/crepe types. I'd love to find a tone-on-tone subtle print.

I already have a black cocktail and formal, so I was going for another color. Plus, I want to make DH a matching/coordinating bowtie and vest. That's one reason thought about a brocade-type.

Brocade would be nice, too, plus you can get those tone-on-tone colors so beautifully in brocade. The dress will be stiffer, of course, but it would look very elegant.

I think I've decided on this for my next cruise formal night. I'm a red head, lean toward cool colors. Slightly overweight (I have a belly, but every where else is muscular). Ideas for fabric/color/print vs solid? I'm thinking view B.

http://butterick.mccall.com/b4343-products-4977.php?page_id=152

I love the pattern. I brought it too, but have not made it yet.

I have a sewing related question. I am a plus size 1X woman. I like some of the tshirts the cruiselines sell, but, they are all unisex. I bought some in a 2X, but, they are cut for men, straight down the sides. Does anyone know how to turn a mens tshirt into a womans? I need it wider at the hips and shorter overall. I have even considered cutting out the design and sewing it like a patch onto a shirt that fits me. :confused:

Don´t know if this technique might help

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=265039.0#ixzz31UA8PYvz

but with the insert made as a long triangle.if you know what I mean, thinner at the top under the arm and then wider for the hip part, a bit like when you alter the waist band of men´s trousers at the waist and down the back seam to make them bigger

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

Hmm, Sandy, that just might work! I'm sure it will be easy to find a coordinating fabric. These are cheap tshirts, but, I do wish I could wear them, especially the one that says Life is better cruising. Thanks! :D

This is actually a good old fashion gusset. I would use a neutral solid, though, because in my opinion putting a "triangle" announces it as, "I'm bigger on the bottom so I added this to make room!". You want it to look like an accent instead.

On a white tee shirt I would put beige and white polka dots, or perhaps a thin pinstripe in black and white. Small print with the tee shirt's color in it.

As far as shorter, wash it first and dry it on hot. Then see how the length looks on you. If it's still too long, then turn it up again and topstitch the hem, perhaps in a contrasting color that matches the side gussets.

Another idea is if the tee shirt needs to be cut off at the bottom because it's much too long, then do that, hem the bottom, and use the extra fabric as your side gussets.

I have put same fabric gussets down the back in several of my georgette blouses that came with fabric belts. Starting at the top with no width and widening at the bottom for more room for my bottom! :D It has a very nice draping effect. Just another idea for alterations to a top that may be too narrow at the hips and tush.

I altered a tee shirt, using the same colour tee shirt fabric for the inserts on a tee shirt and used a zig zag stitch to attach so there was no extra bulk. I did use a contrasting fabric for a couple of wide sides (about 6 inches each) on a t shirt fabric sundress whch I had kept for many years but couldn´t think how to make it bigger. It has Mickey and Minnie, down on the beach with Donald, Goofie etc, they were on the front and on the back of the dress it was their backs. It´s just cute

Another tee I bought on Princess was a huge Man´s one and I cut out the sleeves cut round the neck and altered it´s shape and made it into a beach cover up

There are quite a few bits on the internet about altering T shirts, one which is popular in Spain at the moment is cutting across the back of the Tee, making a sort of ladder back. I´m sure some could be adapted for use down the sides with a ontract or same colour under the laddering

Sandy in Spain