Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I don't know if anyone subscribes to 'Craftsy' but they have a sale on some of their classes right now. If you are interested look at craftsy dot com. Have a great weekend! Sue

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

view.sfly?fid=4fccc2483cc67bb60031ecd658bfd733

photo.php?fbid=10200734821514810&set=a.10200734687191452.1073741828.1290165764&type=3&theater

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4d626b3127ccef69be1b03e9e00000030O00AaNWLNy2aMWgPbz4C/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00401469315420140808015817321.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

ry%3D480

That only took 20 minutes and a dozen tries of different methods. Somehow, I doubt I can do it again. . .

This is the dress my seamstress made for me. She can tailor--I can only sew from the pattern

Edited by PurpleHays

view.sfly?fid=4fccc2483cc67bb60031ecd658bfd733

photo.php?fbid=10200734821514810&set=a.10200734687191452.1073741828.1290165764&type=3&theater

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4d626b3127ccef69be1b03e9e00000030O00AaNWLNy2aMWgPbz4C/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00401469315420140808015817321.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

ry%3D480

That only took 20 minutes and a dozen tries of different methods. Somehow, I doubt I can do it again. . .

This is the dress my seamstress made for me. She can tailor--I can only sew from the pattern

You did it!!!!

The dress is really nice. She is a great sewer.

I can sew from pattern and I ma trying to learn how to adjust them. There is so much to learn in sewing but trying to find the time to do it for me is all most impossible .

Edited by geocruiser

Just a question for all you sewers out there. Do you have people asking to do sewing/project for them? I seem to get that. Right now I have a family member giving shirts, jacket (34) in the pass month to put their logo on. Now it is time for me to stop doing it. Has this happened to any of you?

Yeah, I had a sister in law that always wanted me to hem pants, cut off sweats into shorts and do repairs. At first I did it - then I would just through the stuff in a box. She never asked and I never got it back to her.

That whole family thought nothing of me using my time for them. Picking up groceries, running errands and things like that. We quit doing stuff for them after I decided they were taking advantage of me.

Just a question for all you sewers out there. Do you have people asking to do sewing/project for them? I seem to get that. Right now I have a family member giving shirts, jacket (34) in the pass month to put their logo on. Now it is time for me to stop doing it. Has this happened to any of you?

34 items in the past month is a LOT! Yes, my sister would come to visit and go shopping with me, then play incapable of altering items herself. She learned to sew at the same time I did! I did this for a few visits, and then introduced her to my sewing machine!

My mother was the worst. She would travel to see family every summer with my Dad, and have me sew her new clothes for the trip. She insenstive to my full-time work schedule and home responsibilities, and hounded me for one particular jacket I was making her. I stayed up very late several nights getting it done on time, then when she got home and I asked how the jacket went over with the relatives, she casually said it was too humid and she never wore it!! That was the last time I sewed for her; I told her I was too busy with my own projects to do any sewing for anyone else.

Edited by pcur

Now I am even afraid to make a gift for some people. As soon as some people see what you can do they put their in orders. I best friend has never ask me to sew anything. Every once in a while I will make her something because I want too and love too.

34 items is way too much and I am happy that this will be the end of it all. I have a lady that I know who has a embroidery business and I will see if she will take them on as a client. I think it is time that they pay to have it done.

Now I am even afraid to make a gift for some people. As soon as some people see what you can do they put their in orders. I best friend has never ask me to sew anything. Every once in a while I will make her something because I want too and love too.

34 items is way too much and I am happy that this will be the end of it all. I have a lady that I know who has a embroidery business and I will see if she will take them on as a client. I think it is time that they pay to have it done.

Absolutely. Try using my old excuse: I find this overwhelming with all the other sewing projects I have going on.

Absolutely. Try using my old excuse: I find this overwhelming with all the other sewing projects I have going on.

Will do what you said. I have had enough! Time for them to pay a professional . After all I want to sew cruise clothes.

Edited by geocruiser

With all of the refashioning I am doing, I have had a few co-workers ask it I would do it for them. My answer was no, but I would be happy to hit the thrift stores with them to give them ideas and then go to their homes and help with the first refashion. I just do not have the time to make clothes for other people.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum is my DH, Walt. Earlier this week Walt said he was taking a pair of pants to the local seamstress. I asked if he was getting them hemmed and he said no. He just needed a button sewn on. Good Grief...I can do that and did.

Lisa

With all of the refashioning I am doing, I have had a few co-workers ask it I would do it for them. My answer was no, but I would be happy to hit the thrift stores with them to give them ideas and then go to their homes and help with the first refashion. I just do not have the time to make clothes for other people.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum is my DH, Walt. Earlier this week Walt said he was taking a pair of pants to the local seamstress. I asked if he was getting them hemmed and he said no. He just needed a button sewn on. Good Grief...I can do that and did.

Lisa

I have a friend this winter who need a large valance made for her living room and smaller ones for the bed room. She had gone on and on what a great sewer she was. She said she made all her kids clothes and her husband jeans years ago. Then she ask me for some help. I said yes because I thought she only needed a little help because she was such a great sewer (so she let on). Well, I go there and find out by working with her (No not working with her) she did not know how to sew at all! She thought I would do the whole project. Then she got a family member to help who never sewed a day in her life to help. And she was trying to tell me how to do it. Well I backed off. The two bedroom valances were made by the family member. She thought they were great. They did not even fit the whole window and were all uneven. I said nothing. I told then how to do the other valance and helped them make the pattern. (she had a 45 inch pattern for a 92 inch window). They did do a better job of it, but she did not iron the fabric before sewing it and after washing it. Of course it showed.

I plan on making the pants for my cruise in Dec. and Jan. I have a light weight tropical fabric in green and blue. There are only two pieces for the pants. They have no side seam or zipper. Look real easy. They are a full pants with lots of easy of fit in them. So I might a smaller size. There is 19 inches of east at the hip line. What do you think?

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6968-products-48447.php?page_id=111

Jut click on the pants view.

Edited by geocruiser

I plan on making the pants for my cruise in Dec. and Jan. I have a light weight tropical fabric in green and blue. There are only two pieces for the pants. They have no side seam or zipper. Look real easy. They are a full pants with lots of easy of fit in them. So I might a smaller size. There is 19 inches of east at the hip line. What do you think?

They look great for hot and humid weather! I do a lot of alterations on pants (well, on everything), and I suggest going with your usual size and taking them in where needed. Everyone's body is different, and we all take up more or less room in different areas of a garment. For instance, these are very loose in the crotch, but for me that's a great. I have a very round tush, and I am long lengthed everywhere: waist length, arms, crotch length, even though I am only 5'7". So, take them in where needed if they are too roomy. Easier than trying let them out and not having enough of a seam to do it.

They look great for hot and humid weather! I do a lot of alterations on pants (well, on everything), and I suggest going with your usual size and taking them in where needed. Everyone's body is different, and we all take up more or less room in different areas of a garment. For instance, these are very loose in the crotch, but for me that's a great. I have a very round tush, and I am long lengthed everywhere: waist length, arms, crotch length, even though I am only 5'7". So, take them in where needed if they are too roomy. Easier than trying let them out and not having enough of a seam to do it.

That is a great idea, also might go to Walmart and buy some of their $1.50 a yard fabric and just cut out the top part of the pants from the knee up. Do a quick sew and see how they fit around the hip and waist.

Edited by geocruiser

That is a really cute pattern! Please share a pic when you're finished - I'd love to see them!

Well, I am getting ready to sew my first swimsuit! Has anyone else done this? I've been reading a lot about it and it's not supposed to be as hard as I thought it would be. I got the fabric this weekend at Hancock's ($15) and if it goes well, I think I will order some fabric online where there are more choices. I will only wear tankinis with a skirt and I have a hard time finding ones I like (that don't cost $100!). I figure this way I can make it exactly like I want it - I hope. :)

Wish me luck!

Well, I am getting ready to sew my first swimsuit! Has anyone else done this? I've been reading a lot about it and it's not supposed to be as hard as I thought it would be. I got the fabric this weekend at Hancock's ($15) and if it goes well, I think I will order some fabric online where there are more choices. I will only wear tankinis with a skirt and I have a hard time finding ones I like (that don't cost $100!). I figure this way I can make it exactly like I want it - I hope. :)

Wish me luck!

I am sue that it will come out beautiful. I have never done a bathing suit. What color fabric did you get?

I did some more thrift shopping over the weekend and discovered that the Goodwill near my house sells patterns. The patterns were all uncut and ranged from vintage to current ones. And the cost was 29 cents each!!!! :D I bought a few and plan to check out the other thrift stores to see if they have them. Considering how pricey patterns are, you may want to check out a Goodwill near you.

Lisa

I did some more thrift shopping over the weekend and discovered that the Goodwill near my house sells patterns. The patterns were all uncut and ranged from vintage to current ones. And the cost was 29 cents each!!!! :D I bought a few and plan to check out the other thrift stores to see if they have them. Considering how pricey patterns are, you may want to check out a Goodwill near you.

Lisa

Wow! Goodwill 29 cents even beats Joann's ((cent sale! I love finding vintage patterns. You can't fine them in a store.

Hi all! I was asked to come share my good fortune with you. It's not exactly a sewing project more a cutting project. Let me explain.

My niece gifted me with a beautiful, mis-sized sundress. I think it was marked as a 1x. Maybe more light a 12-14. It's a jersey knit perfect for cruising. IF you're slim and young😏. Well I'm not. But I hated to just pass on this. Yesterday I tried on again with a sweater, nope didn't work. But I realized that it had elastic wide band under the chest. Called my sewing daughter to make sure this material would work(she has a serger and offered to roll the edge) and she said this doesn't ravel. So out came the scissors and I cut the top off. The dress did not come to my feet but now I have this full length maxi skirt perfect for cruising.

Now, what I take away from this, I've often seen dresses in resale shops or in clearance that I like, but they're too skimpy on top for me. I will now give them a second look to see if they can be converted.

Hope you like this beautiful skirt as much as I do. ImageUploadedByForums1407957935.338461.jpg.91f4642a944752845cbb05279ff4a3ab.jpg

I have options, white or pink I think. This will be good for dinner on a casual evening. Jewelry would spice it up!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

ImageUploadedByForums1407957607.644910.jpg.caf8dd67a6f66bbcf66607c8e4697bac.jpg