Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Hi all! I was asked to come share my good fortune with you. It's not exactly a sewing project more a cutting project. Let me explain.

My niece gifted me with a beautiful, mis-sized sundress. I think it was marked as a 1x. Maybe more light a 12-14. It's a jersey knit perfect for cruising. IF you're slim and young. Well I'm not. But I hated to just pass on this. Yesterday I tried on again with a sweater, nope didn't work. But I realized that it had elastic wide band under the chest. Called my sewing daughter to make sure this material would work(she has a serger and offered to roll the edge) and she said this doesn't ravel. So out came the scissors and I cut the top off. The dress did not come to my feet but now I have this full length maxi skirt perfect for cruising.

Now, what I take away from this, I've often seen dresses in resale shops or in clearance that I like, but they're too skimpy on top for me. I will now give them a second look to see if they can be converted.

Hope you like this beautiful skirt as much as I do. [ATTACH]322050[/ATTACH][ATTACH]322052[/ATTACH]

I have options, white or pink I think. This will be good for dinner on a casual evening. Jewelry would spice it up!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I really like the skirt. A serger is a easy way to do it. I use a serger all the time when I sew. It is a easy way to finish a sesm.

I think that will make a great skirt! I am on the fence about buying a serger and really confused as to which one to buy. Any advice out there?

Lisa

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have two sergers. The one in my winter home is not a great one but it works well. It is a White 2400 ( II think). My other one I love it is a Viking 910. It sews wonderful and is east to thread.

Other companies have models that air thread. But I don't know anything about them. Once you get a sergeer you will love sewing with it.

I think that will make a great skirt! I am on the fence about buying a serger and really confused as to which one to buy. Any advice out there?

Lisa

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My serger is a Babyloc. I figured it out fairly quickly. The best advice I can give is to try and find a good sewing store (Not Joanne Fabrics) near you that sells multiple brands. They can let you try different ones and explain the differences. You might pay a little more than just buying one blindly over the internet but with a serger, customer service is important. You don't need the fanciest one on the planet, some have features you'll probably never use. If it handles 4 threads and has a differential it will do. Mine does not auto-thread but I'm ok with that.

As for buying old patterns, pay close attention to the measurements rather than size. Sizing has changed a lot over the years.

Thank you for the tips. There is a sewing machine store next to Joann's, so I will definitely swing by there to check out the machines. One thing I am amazed with is how quickly my sewing has improved with all of the refashioning I am doing. I am going to lay off the thrift stores for awhile since I now have way too many pieces to dye and refashion.

For the vintage patterns I have been looking at the measurements to make sure that they will fit me. I still can't believe that they are selling them for that little. :eek:

Lisa

Thank you for the tips. There is a sewing machine store next to Joann's, so I will definitely swing by there to check out the machines. One thing I am amazed with is how quickly my sewing has improved with all of the refashioning I am doing. I am going to lay off the thrift stores for awhile since I now have way too many pieces to dye and refashion.

For the vintage patterns I have been looking at the measurements to make sure that they will fit me. I still can't believe that they are selling them for that little. :eek:

Lisa

Lisa,

Their are so many makers of sergers. When I brought mine I did check out reviews on the make and model. I would check out the sewing store and if your Joann's a Viking dealer inside their store. Where I live the only Viking dealer is the store within a store at Joann's. But do look around, the prices can differ from store to store and make and model. Also sit down and sew on it in the store. I found that price and service were both important to me. I found where I brought mine I can and have gone back for them to show me something (very helpful) and I brought it 14 year ago!

Check out http://sewing.patternreview.com/ for reviews on them.

Edited by geocruiser

geocruiser-

Our local Joanns got rid of the in-store Viking dealerships years ago. Now they only sell mass-market Singers and you can't try anything out.

Thanks for reminding me about sewing.patternreview. I used to go to that site often but I forgot about them.

geocruiser-

Our local Joanns got rid of the in-store Viking dealerships years ago. Now they only sell mass-market Singers and you can't try anything out.

Thanks for reminding me about sewing.patternreview. I used to go to that site often but I forgot about them.

In our area we still have the Husqvarna Viking sewing stores inside Joann's. I have gotten great service from them for years. For me I would not buy a machine that I could not try out. Also, I got free classes on how to use the machine. And truly I can go back as much as I needed for help. There are so many different serger out there it can be hard to know which one is right for you. I was even able to take a serger class with them before I brought the machine. As you know a serger may be tricky to use at first. But I love using mine. The seams are so nice when done.

Well, I am getting ready to sew my first swimsuit! Has anyone else done this? I've been reading a lot about it and it's not supposed to be as hard as I thought it would be. I got the fabric this weekend at Hancock's ($15) and if it goes well, I think I will order some fabric online where there are more choices. I will only wear tankinis with a skirt and I have a hard time finding ones I like (that don't cost $100!). I figure this way I can make it exactly like I want it - I hope. :)

Wish me luck!

I've made bathing suits, the biggest problem is if you need infrastructure for the breastworks. Otherwise, getting a "universal" needle to deal with the nylon knit fabric helps a lot.

I've ordered from Fashionfabrics with pretty good luck. Certainly more selection than Joann's.

I've got an old Kenmore four-thread serger that's still going strong, it helps so much in getting nice seam finishes.

Good luck, hope it turns out great!

Hi all! I was asked to come share my good fortune with you. It's not exactly a sewing project more a cutting project. Let me explain.

My niece gifted me with a beautiful, mis-sized sundress. I think it was marked as a 1x. Maybe more light a 12-14. It's a jersey knit perfect for cruising. IF you're slim and young😏. Well I'm not. But I hated to just pass on this. Yesterday I tried on again with a sweater, nope didn't work. But I realized that it had elastic wide band under the chest. Called my sewing daughter to make sure this material would work(she has a serger and offered to roll the edge) and she said this doesn't ravel. So out came the scissors and I cut the top off. The dress did not come to my feet but now I have this full length maxi skirt perfect for cruising.

Now, what I take away from this, I've often seen dresses in resale shops or in clearance that I like, but they're too skimpy on top for me. I will now give them a second look to see if they can be converted.

Hope you like this beautiful skirt as much as I do. [ATTACH]322050[/ATTACH][ATTACH]322052[/ATTACH]

I have options, white or pink I think. This will be good for dinner on a casual evening. Jewelry would spice it up!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

This was a brilliant re-purposing of existing garment. Great job.

I've made bathing suits, the biggest problem is if you need infrastructure for the breastworks. Otherwise, getting a "universal" needle to deal with the nylon knit fabric helps a lot.

I've ordered from Fashionfabrics with pretty good luck. Certainly more selection than Joann's.

I've got an old Kenmore four-thread serger that's still going strong, it helps so much in getting nice seam finishes.

Good luck, hope it turns out great!

Thanks! I've made the skirt and it was easier to sew than I thought it would be. Next I will tackle the top. I'm a little worried about the support, like you mentioned so I will have to see once I get it done. It's a little addicting though. I'm already looking for more fabric and patterns. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I've made the skirt and it was easier to sew than I thought it would be. Next I will tackle the top. I'm a little worried about the support, like you mentioned so I will have to see once I get it done. It's a little addicting though. I'm already looking for more fabric and patterns. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad that that the skirt came out good. I have never made a swim suit. I top will look great too.

I wanted to make this pants pattern.

http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6968-products-48447.php?page_id=111

The pants have on side seam just a inseam. But here is the trouble. The pattern is two pieces (that form 1/2 of the pants) You have to tape the tow pieces together to form the pattern. Well the pieces don't line up. The size 16 lines up with size 18. I thought I was going nuts. So, back to Joann's and they looked at it and saw the same problem. I would have to alter the pattern to make it work. I e-mailed McCalls and no answer. So I called and was told that the lady who can help me is on vacation and will be back on Monday. So I will wait and see. I really wanted to make the pants, but don't want to make a mistake and cut the fabric wrong.

The pants have on side seam just a inseam. But here is the trouble. The pattern is two pieces (that form 1/2 of the pants) You have to tape the tow pieces together to form the pattern. Well the pieces don't line up. The size 16 lines up with size 18. I thought I was going nuts. So, back to Joann's and they looked at it and saw the same problem. I would have to alter the pattern to make it work. I e-mailed McCalls and no answer. So I called and was told that the lady who can help me is on vacation and will be back on Monday. So I will wait and see. I really wanted to make the pants, but don't want to make a mistake and cut the fabric wrong.

For pants, I would do a test pair in cheap fabric ($1 a yard Walmart fabric), that way you can discover what adjustments you need to make to the pattern to fit you best before cutting into your good fabric.

/QUOTE]

I bought this same pattern fot the pants; can't find the fabric that 'speaks to me.'

Can't wait to see yours.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Did you check the pants pattern out. It is in two pieces that you tape together. The trouble is the pieces don't line up. At first I thought they did cause I didn't look at it too much. I matched the small circles on each piece than taped it together. The top piece is larger than the bottom , so the seams don't line up. If you do check it let me know how your pattern is.

For pants, I would do a test pair in cheap fabric ($1 a yard Walmart fabric), that way you can discover what adjustments you need to make to the pattern to fit you best before cutting into your good fabric.

I might have to do that. I am waiting for Mon. to see if McCall calls me back about the pattern being misprinted.

Did you check the pants pattern out. It is in two pieces that you tape together. The trouble is the pieces don't line up. At first I thought they did cause I didn't look at it too much. I matched the small circles on each piece than taped it together. The top piece is larger than the bottom , so the seams don't line up. If you do check it let me know how your pattern is.

geocruiser,

I have not checked out my pattern but I will this evening and let you know if it is defective also.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Well, I am getting ready to sew my first swimsuit! Has anyone else done this? I've been reading a lot about it and it's not supposed to be as hard as I thought it would be. I got the fabric this weekend at Hancock's ($15) and if it goes well, I think I will order some fabric online where there are more choices. I will only wear tankinis with a skirt and I have a hard time finding ones I like (that don't cost $100!). I figure this way I can make it exactly like I want it - I hope. :)

Wish me luck!

I want to try to make a swimsuit also.

First of all, so it can be customized to fit me (hopefully)

The second reason is I am dieting (or making lifestyle changes) and have lost 17 pounds to date....trying for 20-25 more. In a few months, when I am ready to buy swimwear, there will only be winter clothing out.

I bought my patterns on Ebay.

Let me know the swimsuit goes...I am happy for any tips!

swimsuit1.jpg.f7fcc5e34566c79aa5fe61899e4ead80.jpg

swimsuit2.jpg.261963187eb8c946bd05ba4e7d77b3b9.jpg

geocruiser,

I have not checked out my pattern but I will this evening and let you know if it is defective also.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Mc calls answered me today and ask what size I was trying to cut out. I told then. Here is what I wrote them.

pattern: 6968

I brought pattern size 14 to 22. I am trying to cut out size 18. I taped the lower leg pattern piece 7A to upper piece #7 as per the instructions (there were small circles that need to be matched. I matched them) Then I went to cut the pattern to my size 18. I started at the bottom of the leg size marked 18 and when I got to the top (#7) size 18 (pattern piece 7A) matched up to the size 14 on the top of the pants pattern piece #7.

I don't think I am very clear in my wording. I hope they understand.

Edited by geocruiser

Mc calls answered me today and ask what size I was trying to cut out. I told then. Here is what I wrote them.

pattern: 6968

I brought pattern size 14 to 22. I am trying to cut out size 18. I taped the lower leg pattern piece 7A to upper piece #7 as per the instructions (there were small circles that need to be matched. I matched them) Then I went to cut the pattern to my size 18. I started at the bottom of the leg size marked 18 and when I got to the top (#7) size 18 (pattern piece 7A) matched up to the size 14 on the top of the pants pattern piece #7.

I don't think I am very clear in my wording. I hope they understand.

I just looked at this pattern in SewingPatternReview and someone else had a similar problem. Nearly all the reviews said the pants had very generous proportions. Thought you might also be interested in the thought to sew in a snap for the center portion and that the ties can be tricky to get right after having a few "adult beverages."

I want to try to make a swimsuit also.

First of all, so it can be customized to fit me (hopefully)

The second reason is I am dieting (or making lifestyle changes) and have lost 17 pounds to date....trying for 20-25 more. In a few months, when I am ready to buy swimwear, there will only be winter clothing out.

I bought my patterns on Ebay.

Let me know the swimsuit goes...I am happy for any tips!

Congratulations on the weight lost. I love the swimsuit patterns that you picked. Which view will you make?

I just looked at this pattern in SewingPatternReview and someone else had a similar problem. Nearly all the reviews said the pants had very generous proportions. Thought you might also be interested in the thought to sew in a snap for the center portion and that the ties can be tricky to get right after having a few "adult beverages."

I also looked a Pattern review and saw that one lady had the same trouble. MCCalls is in contact with me and I hope to hear back from them again today. The woman at Pattern review seems to be a good sewer and she knew how to get around it. But for me, I need a little help. What it looks like might have happened is there might be two different size patterns printed on the large pattern paper, and miss marked. The top part of the pants 14 to 22 and the bottom part 8 to 12? It just does not match up for me. Of course it could be me too. I see the top part of the pattern (piece #7) can be used for shorts. So I would think that the hem part of that has to go. But even if I fold the hem up and place the bottom of the pattern to it , it does not match up. It says to match the line of circles and I do, but no luck.

The really are a nice pair of pants and I have not seen anything like them in the stores ready made. Would love to make then for our up coming cruises.